Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2014

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:23 pm

I have a loose leaf note book for current projects the patterns I put in plastic sleeves to keep track of them.

I finished the stairstep striped knitted afaghan / prayer shawl love thd way it turbed out! :mrgreen: I have focused on it this week end. Yea for progress.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:36 am

I just use easily accessible clip boards for currently-doing patterns. All other patterns are in plastic sleeves in binders or in filing cabinet drawers or in 1 file in a basket.

I've decided to only make DGD-almost-2-years-old, the Granny squares bodice dresses with the matching fabric skirts. I've found a yellow yarn, TLC, and yellow calico with red flowers. I found some light blue baby sport yarn, light blue checked gingham, some white lace, and white ribbons, to make bows. I found 2 pieces of red fabric, but need to purchase 100 - 200 g. of red sport or Aunt Lydia's Denim Yarn, if they still make it, or Lustersheen or something smaller/lightweight, in red.

I'm keeping project ideas in a "My Projects Journal," to keep things sorted out, which are in my mind, to cross off as I do them. :idea: :arrow: :mrgreen:

I only need 2 yards of 45" wide cotton blend fabric for my comforter. I have the matching thread and the batting here already. 1 less thing to purchase, from my birthday $! 8-)
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:33 am

Decided to make a lap robe, with my Batik fabric, instead of a twin size comforter. I only need a lap robe and not an entire full comforter. It'd be different if I didn't have so many afghans, throws, and blankets. Why have 1 more taking up too much room in my already-crowded linen cupboard. :?:

I set up my sewing machine at my spare room desk. I use a mouse pad, under the machine's floor foot pillow, to prevent it slipping. It's a trick I learned from a magazine, a long time ago, called "Sew News." It was a great magazine, with good tips, projects, and articles. :idea:

I have 2 red remnants of calico, 1 yellow calico and 1 light blue gingham, for the skirts of the crocheted-Granny bodice dresses, for DGD. I'll be purchasing some yarns, for the red and blue fabrics soon. I have yarns, in green, and aqua, for the yellow calico dress. It has aqua and green, in the leaves, which are on red tiny flowers. It's going to be so cute, once it's done. I have some nice lace I saved, from a Halloween costume, which never transpired. I'll add the white lace, to the hem of a couple of dresses. Also, I've got some silk ribbons, which would make a nice bow, tacked onto the bodices, to dress them up. They button at the shoulders, with 2 buttons, on each strap, too, but the pattern designer states, you can use 1 button per strap, if you wish.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:33 pm

I have frogged out all but two of the failed projects I had going the did not turn out it feels grwat to get that done. Now I can use the yarn for other things. Sorted yarns stash.

Also pulled some summer wear items.
Glad for the room and order this helped me today.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:12 pm

This past summer, I crocheted DGD-1.5-years, a halter, which is a large circle in the front, with 2 chained straps for the shoulders and 2 more, for the back waist. Ddil said that Dson thought it was way too revealing for a baby girl. I told her she can wear it over a blouse or shirt. So I got to thinking about the Granny squares bodice pattern, for DGD, with the attached fabric skirt. I went to:

http://www.ravelry.com and I looked at fabric bodice crocheted patterns, with attached fabric skirts. I realized how the Granny square dresses, with straps OR ties, ARE TOO REVEALING! :shock: :o :? :roll: :!: So Dson would NOT like that. :!: I found a pattern, from HGTV, which has an empire shell-stitch sleeveless dress top pattern. It's especially good, too, because it lists 2-T size, which my Granny bodice pattern just states, it fits up to size 3. I'd feel terrible to make a Granny squares bodice dress and Dson disapproving of it. I printed up the HGTV pattern. Also, :idea: I realized the similarity of how any empire crocheted dress pattern bodice, may be used for the fabric-skirt-type patterns, too. I have 1 pattern, which is a sleeveless dress, and it snaps closed in back. It'll be good for fabric dress skirts, too. :mrgreen:

One thing, which I find confusing is this: The Granny square pattern designer, who's pattern I was going to originally make, states to use the similar yarn and fabric combination. Example: If your yarn has linen in it- use linen fabric or linen-blend fabric. If your fabric is cotton or cotton blend- use a cotton or cotton blend yarn. But then, 1 pattern states how you can use ANY sport yarn, which, to me, means acrylic, and in their example on-line, they sew the skirt on by hand. They did not differentiate that sport yarn needs to match the certain type of fabric. I'm thinking now, :idea: :?: how, if I crochet in sport yarn or baby sport yarn, it must be "OKAY" to sew the sport yarn bodice to any type of cotton blend fabric, too. So, I'm just going to "go for it" and do what looks good, what feels right, and I won't be making the barely-there Granny squares pattern now. The bodices, which are sleeveless empires have more coverage, too. They also can be used as jumpers, as well as sun dresses. Another thing, I love about this is, the sizes/inches are listed and it's not all "guess-work", like the Granny squares pattern has me to do. I won't need to have Ddil measure DGD's chest now. I'm very happy with my decision. :mrgreen:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:33 pm

I knit 2-3 rows shoulder hurts so that is all.

Return to “The Creative Home”