Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
BookSaver
Administrator

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2014

Postby BookSaver » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:35 pm

Kathryn, those are adorable! I think they look perfect.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:54 pm

Planning to work on more of my ponytail scruchies and two 2015 b-day hats for 2 grandsons, this evening and tomorrow, too. I also want to get started on 2 dfriends' March 2015 b-day kitchen gifts. The sooner I get them done, the better, so I can move onto more things, for a May and June b-day, for 2 other dfriends. :mrgreen:

And I want to continue to read through my quilting leaflets/books, to pick out some projects in that venue, too. ;)

There's always something to create with our hands, isn't there? :P
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:12 pm

Got my own Christmas yarn for some sweater projects, I did not have enough for & I got the rest to finish for these yea! I am excited. Happy happy happy! :mrgreen:

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:22 pm

That's great about the sweater yarn, DNancy! :mrgreen:

I "wonder" if DDIL will give me yarn, to make DGD's hat, she wanted me to make her? :?: It would be fun to do something like that. The pattern looks challenging, but doable. I hope I can find it on one of my clipboards. I forgot which one it's on.

Does anybody else misplace clipboards or patterns, too? :?: :oops: :? :o

Edit Added Here: I was folding washed/dried remnants, I came to a piece of material, and asked DH to help me with it. He got off the sectional sofa, stood up, and asked "What do you want me to do now?"

I said, "See that white piece laying there, on the sofa seat? It's real long. I need help folding it." It measured about 9" wide, DH grabbed one end, he backed up, holding his end, and I backed up, holding my end. We kept backing up.

"What is this, anyway?" he asked.

"I don't know, but it was in my quilting stuff. Don't you think it's about 20 FEET LONG?" I asked.

"Maybe TWENTY-FIVE!" He exclaimed.

I don't know what it's for, except for cutting up into white squares and/or strips. It's nice white cotton, too. I'm certain I'll be finding something useful for it. I don't understand how it got so very, very long. I don't know if it's DD's, Grandma's, or mine. I don't recall buying anything that long, in the remnants section at Walmart. It's very strange. It's an oddity, which is very comical. :?

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:07 am

DDIL/DSON gave me some nice bulky yarn, which looks like a thinner version that Lion's Brand Homespun. It's dark teal with a bright teal, 10-oz., so I decided to crochet myself an ugly but warm hat and matching scarf set.

DGD-DGS-5.5 & DGS-3.5 adored their afghans and bathtub puppets. Next on the list, for DGS-5.5, will be a hat & another puppet, for his Feb. 2015 b-day and the same, for DGS-3.5, for his April 2015 b-day.

DDIL said how much DGD-2-soon, loves dresses! I'm going to look for a good dress pattern, and perhaps a cute jumper pattern, to crochet her 1 dress/1 jumper. I received $50 in b-day $ today. I'll get the yarns for her dress, the same day I purchase my quilting supplies for a specific project or 2.

I'll be busy crocheting! :mrgreen:

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:53 pm

I've found several patterns for DGD-almost-2-soon! 1 is a short-sleeved lacy-looking dress with a flower on it, with a matching headband with a matching flower on it.
1 dress has a colored bodice with a vertical striped matching colored skirt in white/bodice color. It's lacy-looking, too, and DH said how much he loved that little dress, for DGD.
1 summer dress, is sleeveless, with an Empire bodice, bow on the bodice, and contrasting skirt with trim to go around the bodice and armhole edges and hem. It's shown in 4 different color versions, too, which are nice examples.
2 shoulder-tie jumpers looks so adorable over tops with leggings, too. :idea:
1 jumper, with a wrap bodice, was 1 that DH wasn't too wild about. He didn't think it looked cute at all. It was rather drab-looking, IMHO, too. :(
If I look on-line, for a dress pattern, I'll limit myself to print up only one pattern.
Also, I need to look through my yarns I've collected, for DGD's dresses/jumpers, need to figure out what I need to purchase new, how much, and try to give myself some color ideas, too.

I figured, when I ship off DGS-6-in-Feb.'s bday box, I'll put in some dresses/jumpers for DGD, too. :idea: :mrgreen:

I also need to get busy on some kitchen crochet, for 4 b-day friends in my life. 2 have March b-days, 1 is in May, and 1 is in June. The nice thing about kitchen crochet, is how wonderful the cotton feels, as you crochet with it, and it's easy "pick-up" work, until you tire of it, and want to return to baby yarn or 100% worsted acrylic. :idea:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:23 pm

I am too the last few color stripes on a triangle stair step knitted shawl glad to see light at the end of the tunnel with this one.

I have a yellow one I have going to do up and the will be trying sweaters again.

Got the rest of the yarn for one batch yesterday yea for that! I am so excited! :mrgreen: made out my project list for 2015 also!

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:09 am

Printed up 2 Valentine potholders:

http://kaleidesigns.com/crochet/patterns/archive/poth005.html AND

http://dishclothdiaries.blogspot.com/2008/04/heart-shaped-pot-holder.html

The examples, on the first one, which is "Country Love Potholder," is done with a white center, followed by a variegated, edged in white.

The second one here, listed, it "Heart Shaped Potholder," and it's crocheted in all variegated colors. No contrasting colors, but a person could easily add edging in a contrast color. :idea:

Decided on 1 sleeveless dress with a C. C. yoke, tie bow, and edging, for DGD-almost-2, and a shoulder-tie tunic, which is lacy-looking. I'll make her 1 tunic in all white, and then 1 in a color, after I go to Walmart, to see what's there in colors in baby yarns. I'll do the sleeveless dress with white skirts, (2), and CC for the yoke, tie, and edging. I'd like to make her 2, in 2 fun/pretty colors.

The "Sweetie Pie" sleeveless dress is at:

http://www.redheart.com and the pattern # is LW1392.

I don't see an URL on the "Ruffle Edge Tunic!" :roll: However, not all is lost! :idea: It is crocheted in a Bernat Baby Cakes yarn, called 43201 - "Honey Dew." I believe you'll be able to find it here:

http://www.bernat.com My PDF pattern of it, doesn't have an URL on it. Sorry. I suppose if you cannot find it there, you can do a "Google" search for "Ruffle Edge Tunic", too. :mrgreen:

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:59 am

Found a Granny crocheted yoke pattern, at

http://www.ravelry.com

and it's a PDF pattern. 1 size is for 9 - 12 months girls and 1 size is for toddler girls up to size 3. The fabric measurements are given for both versions, too, which are different from each other. You sew the side seams together, gather the top, sew it onto the crocheted yoke, and hem it. When I hem it, I'll turn it up twice, press it, and sew the hem in. If Ddil needs to sew it, to make it shorter, she's an excellent seamstress, so this will be easy for her to do. Often times, she works while the kids are napping, when the other kids are at school or she does it at night, when everybody's gone to bed. Since I've got so many remnants, several being calico's, this will work out great, when it comes to my matching the crocheted yokes, to fabric, before I sew them.

Now, I need to finish sorting through that 1 final bin of scraps, declutter my bunny room desk, to set up my sewing machine on it. I needed to do that anyway, this upcoming week, because I'll sew my comforter together. :idea: I'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone. While I'm at it, I have 2 pattern envelopes full of Barbie doll patterns, which I can cut out to sew, too. I might as well do those, too, while I'm at it. DGD and I can play Barbies sometime in the future. :mrgreen:

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:40 am

Hand warmers that I made for oldest DSis, and then also made a set for DMom and DAunt:
1) Cut flannel pieces 3"x4"
2) Right sides together, sew around all 4 edges, leaving a small opening on 1 of the shorter sides to turn. Press.
3) Turn right sides out. (I have a hemostat gadget that helps turn small things like this.) Use a pointy gadget to neaten the corners. Press.
4) Topstitch very close to the edges, leaving the hole open for filling. Press. (This step is optional, but the topstitching makes it look neater and reinforces the seams.)
5) Fill 2/3 full with rice. I think I used a little over 1/4 cup of rice in each one.
6) Push all of the rice away from the open side to be able to get the fabric under the sewing machine's presser foot. Topstitch across the opening to close it. (You could also sew it closed by hand if you think that would be easier.)

To heat: Microwave 10 seconds at a time until warm enough.
The first test set I did, I followed the original instructions to microwave 30 seconds. Too long, too hot!!! :shock: :!: I think the 30 seconds was supposed to be the time for a larger heating pad. They can be any size you want.

Return to “The Creative Home”