Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
FelineFriend

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2014

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:17 pm

The last time I went to the grocery store for a crochet magazine, I was STUNNED at how expensive they had gotten! I found one, which was around $7 or more, but when I got into the car, with DH driving home, (I don't read and drive!) :lol: I was so very Pleased at how many scarves and really nice patterns, which I'm sure I'll use, were inside it! It was worth every $! :P

Also, inside the pages were a card, for subscribing to Crochet World Magazine. I went to B 'n' N to subscribe. It's supposed to arrive Dec. 16th and comes every other month. :mrgreen: I'm looking forward to sitting down with it!

I need to RUN. Dark clothes are done, right now. Need to hang everything up before they wrinkle! :!:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:09 pm

I saw a nice 2-strand hat pattern, with a brim on it, on a label, but the pattern font is too light-grey and tiny for me to be able to read well. And on 2nd examination, I read the stitch, which will take some practice to master. I decided to give it to a pen pal who crochets, to see if she likes it, too.

I'm on hat #5, and have 2 to go, after this one is completed. :mrgreen: After wrapping all of the hats, I'll work on 2015 b-day gifts:

2 hats,
1 pair of potholders w/facecloths,
1 hanging dishtowel,
several dishcloths....

Then, I'll get busy on my black Grannies, edge and join the completed squares, join/edge, and cuddle under it for a long winter's nap. ;)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:42 am

Today I did a bit of sewing got the lap robe done yea!

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:22 pm

I'm starting hat #7 tonight, for Dson.

After that, I'm crocheting fancy yarns scrunchies for ponytails, for the holidays and beyond. I've gotten out a tote-full of yarns. Need to fetch the elastic-ponytail holders next. They're on a walk-in closet shelf in a shoe box; easy to find. :mrgreen: I gave my 3 fanciest scrunchies to a down's syndrome young woman who is the DD of a pen pal, for her Christmas gift, along with a crocheted headband.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:06 pm

Hat #7 was finished this a.m., wrapped, labeled and put away.

Now, I'm crocheting hair scrunchies, for myself, DDIL & DGD-23-Months. I have the heavier bands, plus lighter-weight, smaller bands. Since DGD's hair is very fine, I believe by my making her some smaller ones with light-weight yarns, it'll be nice for her. I'll make some, which she and her Dmom can share, too. They're an extra "just because" Christmas gift. I did not plan this, but it's fun to do, because it's a total surprise, for Ddil/DGD.

Oh! I just remembered! Sometimes Ddil gets her hair cut shorter, in a short bob, so she might not be able to wear the scrunchies, but DGD can. ;) It's fun to work on a surprise like this. ♥

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:08 pm

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: I have 2 pairs of knitting needles. 1 pair is size 5, 1 pair is size 10, and I only want to make dishcloths and/or scarves with them. Will these sizes be okay to use for a simple dishcloth or simple scarf? I don't want to go to the expense of buying a bunch of needles. I'm not interested in knitting doll clothes, afghans or sweaters. I know I can try to find specific patterns, to fit the size 5 or 10 needles, but it sounds very time-consuming. Does it make a difference if you use what needles you have on hand? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:06 pm

Look on the yarn the label says what size of needle is recomended. I use a size 6 for dish clothes the size 7 is
recomended 5 & 7 are the most used I think. 8 & 10 for some projects with heavier yarn. I get needles at yard sales and thrift shops.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:13 pm

I looked through my "knitting" binder at dishcloth and hat patterns. Some patterns wanted me to use a #5 pair and some said #10 pair, and some said "As needed for gauge," and since I'm not too keen about knitting in the first place, I won't be purchasing new needles. I'll make due with what I have.

Also, I have several Tunisian crochet afghan hooks, I LOVE ♥ that stitch, want to master it, then do embroidery on it, so since I love that weave better than I do the knitting, I may lean more towards mastering the Tunisian stitch. I have several patterns for various projects.

I've tried to knit, forever loose stitches, as I progress, which is very frustrating for me. I can use You Tube demos for help, too. If that doesn't work, I'll stick to Tunisian and regular crochet. :idea: :mrgreen:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:38 pm

I made a hat today out of some knitting that I had done up here already.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:08 am

Plan to work on ponytail scrunchies for myself this weekend.

Also, I want to do 2 kids' hats for b-days in Feb. and April, ASAP.

After that, it's a hanging dishtowel for a May b-day, dishcloths/potholders for 2 March b-days, and a hanging dishtowel/dishcloths for a June b-day.

In 2015, I'll work on my black main color Granny afghan. Or will start the last rounds on each square, after Christmas. :idea:

Return to “The Creative Home”