Art, Craft and Needlework, January, 2015

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
FelineFriend

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, January, 2015

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:10 am

I've misplaced my Brother Sewing Machine Manual book, I had it with my machine, but when I put it into the bunny room, somehow, the book's disappeared! :shock: :o :? :oops: :x :!: :roll: I looked inside my nice large sewing basket, a square wooden one I got at Joann's several years ago, and it wasn't there... BUT... :?: :?: :?: A large sheet of paper, with A, B, C, D, and E steps, in illustrations, how to thread the machine's top thread, how to thread the bobbin, WERE in there--- BUT I'VE NEVER EVER SEEN IT BEFORE, in about 18 - 19 years! I don't know "where" it came from, how it got there, and it's almost as if the manual book's morphed in the sewing basket, in the night, turning itself into a sheet of illustrations, which can be interpreted by ALL languages! :lol: :?: :? :shock: :o I've threaded my machine, pinned the side seam, where my new nightgown has come undone, to sew tomorrow, when the lighting's better, at the window. My desk is in front of the window.

Also, I found a white paper apron pattern, I'd copied myself and a thread catcher paper patter, with directions, and I'd lost them, several years ago, too. (We've been here, in our new house, for 10.5 years now.) I'll keep my eye out for the sewing machine book, but it I cannot find it, I'll make "due" with this illustrated sheet. Also, since my Brother machine is all digital, with a computer screen on it, for the various stitches, it's sorta like a "no-brainer", how to "drive" it! 8-) ;)

I didn't crochet today, but plan on doing quite a bit tomorrow and in the next 3 weeks. I have some gifts due mid-February, and need to focus more time and detail on them.

Also, I printed up some rectangle and square basket patterns, from Peaches 'n' Cream yarns. They take fabric stiffener, of which I need to purchase, and know nothing about! :?: :oops: :o :? Does anyone know if it's a spray, you spray onto the yarn, or if it's something you soak the fabric or yarn in? :?: I "KNOW" instructions will come with them, too. I'm kind of thinking it'll be a spray. Once it's dried and is stiff, I'll fold down the top, which makes about a 3" lip around. It's very pretty. I thought it'd be a nice spa basket for crocheted facecloths or for dishcloths for the kitchen, too. :idea:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:14 am

Harriet ~ Yes, you're right, perfectionism habit took over on the Fancy Nancy placemat project. The major reason for that, though, is that before we started selling tickets, I thought that our attendees would all be in the 4- to 6-year-old age range. Instead, although most of the reservations are that age range, almost 1/3 of the group will be in the 7- to 10-year-old age range. That's quite a difference in levels of sophistication for party activities!

Nancy ~ Good job finishing the yellow toddler sweater! Have a good time with your spinning. The fibers sound very pretty.

Twins'Mom ~ I hope you get more time for stamping fun.

FelineFriend ~ You mentioned before that you weren't sure if your crochet skills are at intermediate level. Seems to me you are definitely intermediate level or above, because you do such a variety of stitches and projects. I don't know about stiffener for yarn, I've only seen the different kinds for stiffening thinner crochet threads.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:33 am

Fancy Nancy Tea Party project #1:

PocketMod is done. Words used with the pictures: Bonjour, glorious, extraordinaire, splendiferous. ClipArt images: Fancy Nancy and our group's logo. For the younger girls: simple images of daisy, ladybug, teapot & teacup, cupcake, fancy hat, hummingbird. Added for the older girls: replaced a simple butterfly image with a detailed Monarch butterfly. From the Mehndi clipart book I mentioned before, which is very detailed, I chose 2 flower images, a peahen, and a heart with a checkerboard texture. That was as much variety as my brain could design for 1 little 8-page booklet.

I will use the same images for the placemats, and may or may not add more words

I recently learned that OpenOffice will allow saving a file as a PDF, and that has opened up a whole new world for me. :) I started the PocketMod as an 8 page document in OpenOffice Text -- typed and formatted the words, inserted the pictures, and saved as PDF. Then I found the little program on the PocketMod site that will convert any 8-page PDF to a PocketMod. (The program takes over the jobs of rotating half of the pages and putting them in the correct order for the little booklet.) It's so cool! :geek: :mrgreen:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:31 pm

Got the zipper and bias tape for the front of the yellow sweater yesterday.

Today I washed up the wool I got Thurs. :mrgreen: so happy tohave that done!

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:37 pm

Finished Fancy Nancy Tea Party project #2:
Placemats using the same images as the PocketMod above.

Layout on 8 1/2 by 11 paper so they can be printed by the library's copy machine. All black & white, and we will have little containers of crayons on the tables so the placemats double as coloring pages.

I used only the one word "Bonjour!" because I couldn't figure out placement issues when trying to insert words between pictures. That's the disadvantage of doing this type of thing in a word processing program instead of a drawing program. Unfortunately, I don't know how to use a drawing program yet.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:43 pm

Bookie, you already know what I am going to say. After your maaaaaavelous entertaining is done, share the PDF info again in PocketMod thread, please. I copied your last paragraph (correction - last paragraph in previous post) and emailed to dd16. Wondering if dd35 could use this as she instructs. She is trying to get the attention of adults who are looking at their watches. I wonder if saying, "I have prepared a booklet for everyone on our subject." would end up less boring if everyone received a PocketMod rather than what they assumed. lol.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:56 pm

I've been looking through quilting books, magazines, and leaflets, for more info on making a comforter. I'll look on-line, too. I've decided :idea: to take a legal pad, write the tasks down, step-by-step, in my own language, to break it down so I can understand it better. Also, it means I won't be looking through 3 - 5 various publications, as I'm trying to get this project done.

Yes, I'm an Intermediate crocheter. I'm not advance, I don't think.
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:09 pm

Have been working on stamps some more this afternoon. I am more than half way through and am loving this. I have tagged stamp sets with specific attributes in Evernote, so If I need a sympathy card or salutation I can easily page through photos of just those stamps to find what I want. Have tagged sets also with shelf location, where stamp sets are alphabetized, so I can go directly to that set and pull it out. It's also given me an opportunity to pull out sets that I'm ready to purge.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:38 pm

I finely got the mauve knitting project going with the gauge I wanted. Yea! Knitting group went well. Wool is nearly dry.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:42 pm

finished Fancy Nancy Tea Party project #3: Fans and Tiaras
The fans are old-fashioned advertising cards on wooden sticks. They were donated from someone who collected them at the state fair last summer, so although the sticks/handles are pretty much the same, the cards are various sizes; some have writing on only 1 side, some are printed on both sides. I cut them all to the same round shape. I glued construction paper over the printed side(s), so at the tea party the girls can decorate them with stickers, glitter pens for the older girls, and the library has lots of self-inking stamps for the younger girls to use.

(I had hoped to only need to use the 1-sided versions, but it occurred to me that some of the adults will want to do the crafts with the girls. We are charging the adults the same ticket price as the girls. Must have enough craft supplies for all.)

We will also have paper tiaras which another volunteer is supposed to be cutting and assembling.

We were going to provide "jewels" for the girls to glue on both of the above, but realized that would get too messy and take too long to dry. Needed to simplify!

Return to “The Creative Home”