Art, Craft and Needlework, February 2015

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
FelineFriend

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, February 2015

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:06 pm

:mrgreen: :P I received my first installment of the Annie's Creative Quilt Kit-of-the-Month club project, which is a casserole carrier. The instructions are illustrated in color, to coincide with the fat quarters fabrics used in the project. It's really neat! :!: However, my bobbin thread tension is all "off", I don't know how it got this way, I don't even recall what I sewed last or when. :oops: :o :? I get very "nervous" when I go to fix the bobbin tension, but not when I fix the top tension. Odd, huh? :?: :roll: I'm pretty much deciding to:
1- organize my sewing room first,
2- to press the fat quarters & cut the project out,
3- to drop my sewing machine off at the sewing machine store, for a "tune-up", :idea: to do it right,
4- then, when the sewing machine's back home, to sew my project then. :)

I also need to decide, whether I want to quilt it by hand or quilt it by machine, use what stitches or pattern of quilting, and it's so hard to decide. :? :o There are so many unique ideas in books, leaflets, and on-line. One good thing, too, is how this particular project is on-line, at their site, where I can sign in, to phone or email the support team, for this particular project. When I get my machine back, I think I'll phone them, to "talk", so I have more confidence in my ability, because I've never quilted before. It's so nice they're "there" for their clients. 8-)

Nancy , I know what it's like to have a sore thumb, too. I think it's a common thing, in people who crochet, knit, etc... I read on-line, some tips about it, like:
1- keep your tension looser and relax to enjoy the project,
2- being stressed or working too hard to be perfect, on a project, makes our tension tighter, which can cause a sore thumb or cramped hand,
3- to try and use different spots on the thumb, if you can, so no one spot gets over-worked, over another spot on the thumb,
4- to knit or crochet for about 15 minutes, then stop and go do something else for 15 minutes - 30 minutes, to give the thumb a rest.

I enjoyed reading their ideas, they helped me out so much. :) I was trying to "be perfect" and would tense up my grip too tight, which caused the one single spot on my thumb to hurt and be achy and bruised-feeling. I've changed, relax, and have "fun" with my crochet now, and take breaks, to go do housework, laundry, to post here, check emails or do other things, on and off, until I eventually finish a project. I'm not putting deadlines or pressure on myself anymore, because I want to enjoy crochet, since I love it. I don't want it to become too serious and to cause my thumb discomfort. I noticed, once I accepted the fact my projects could be fun, I lightened up my grip, and the sore thumb problem was rectified. It's been so nice, too.

I hope your thumb gets back to normal, soon, Nancy. :D
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:26 pm

Ff thanks for those tips.

I got the 1st ball of yarn knit on the mauve sweater project.
Messaged the gal that does up fiber bats for the colors I want for the next batch calling it fire rock (orange and grey). I do not useally name them! Lol.

Tried to watch u-tube of back strap weaving to get a better idea of how those are warped. I made a model of a frame loom that uses the same type warp. I will look up navaho weaving. I like the others in cotton bc they have so many brighter colors.
Had some loading issues with U-tube and netflicks both today.
I got inspired anyway, first from a travel video on pbs of the sild route Rudy Maxum sp? Any way colors were great the had wool dying rug weaving and the was fun to see.

Heading to hunt for web sites that might have books or diagram on that.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:12 pm

Nancy , Would Pintrest have some diagrams or ideas for you there? :?: When I go there, their pages are full of tons of pinned ideas and they're all good ones, too! :idea: Ddil goes there, to get ideas for sewing projects. Then she designs her own patterns and sews tote bags, Tutus, etc... :o :P

My pink & red embossed paper with the different "ribbons" on the bookmarks, are making such sweet-looking bookmarks! :P It's fun to "surprise" my family, friends, and pals. ;)

I've decided to NOT crochet myself any triangle kerchiefs for my head, to cover up thinning hair, (b/c of the Thyroid), nor will I crochet anymore bun covers or ponytail scrunchies for myself. I can do them for others, for gifts, but to be blatantly honest with you, :oops: I look like a big cantaloupe head, in ponytails, or buns. By curling my hair, teasing it, combing it neatly, and spray & lifting it with a hair lift, I look more thicker-haired, with much more body, and it's just night and day, as far as what looks nice. I'm excited about crocheting for the grandchildren and I want to crochet 2 white spa baskets, for 2 close friends of mine, too. :idea: Been thinking about starting DGD-2's afghan and need/want to make DGS-turning-4 a hat and snake, too, in crochet. :) It's not due until April. My BFF's have 1 spa basket due in May and 1 due in August. They look a bit time-consuming, with the 4 sides, assembly, getting the fabric stiffener, and stiffen them, let them dry, and then fold them down. After that, I'll be crocheting and/or shopping for gifts to put into the spa baskets. ♥ ♥ I've never-ever crocheted a spa basket before. If it turns out nicely, I might make some more, for DD and Ddil, too. I think it's a neat look. Oh, :idea: I've seen "nesting baskets" on-line, too. I'll look for them one of these days, too.

I plan on making 3 or 4 more bookmarks tonight, to go with letters, etc... It's fun to create and use your "creative-powers". :mrgreen:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:15 pm

Yep pintrest has diagrams but my other looms are so much easier I just did get to that. My small table loom is warped but I do need to check for mistakes. Before I set it up any further.

I will take tomorrow off and see about getting my floor loom warps for a weavers tea this mo. Or next. Trying to remember what I was going to make once these are warped lol!
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:25 am

I took a very bright, artistic card, by Suzy Toronto, for Blue Mountain Arts, and cut the cover off the verse sections. I taped the wrong side of the card's cover, on the left on shocking pink card stock, taped the verse on the right side of the card stock, and slipped them into a black document or certificate frame, for my office desk. It looks super neat, bright, and festive, because it's very cartoonish and bright, too. :mrgreen:

I've decided to try and finish DGD-2's Empire Dress. I want to give it to her soon, with the other 2 dresses. :idea: :mrgreen:

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:00 am

I got out the Empire dress yarns, to work on tomorrow, Thursday and Friday. It might be done on Thursday, I hope. 8-)

Then, I'll make DGS-4-in-April a hat and snake, 2 Dfriends spa baskets, my kitchen mats, and will assemble my Granny afghan together. (The grannies are all made.) I'm double crocheting around the granny squares, prior to joining them, because I wanted a larger afghan. The pattern's off PBS, off TV and their crochet/knitting website. It was an unusual one, but pretty. ♥

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:32 am

I got my floor loom apron repaired tonight I am SO excited tomorrow I can start getting it set up again and ready to warp!

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:40 pm

Nancy , What is a floor Apron? Is it sort of a support on your loom? :?: I saw a Dr.'s office and she displayed her hand-woven by her, table cloth, on a small round table. She did a good job, it's professional-looking, and I've only woven on the little kids' loom, with those stretchy loops. I'm so glad you got your Apron, too! :)

I sewed 2 holes on DKitty-Cat's mouse catnip toy, trimmed off the loose ends, on the ears. It looks like 'new' now. :mrgreen:

I looked at the 2 boxes I have together, for Ddil, see I can fit in books/magazines, on scrap booking/rubber stamping, too, if I stand them on end. :idea:

Has anyone here ever sewed Barbie clothes? :?: I have 2 pattern envelopes, of Barbie clothes, to cut out. I don't know if I'll sew them by hand or by machine. The machine needs a tune-up first. I think by hand's fine for a pair of Barbies. Sewing by hand is something Dmom hated to do. She taught me to hem, sew on buttons, and snaps. She let me do the mending, too. I'm glad I learned these skills as a girl, because it came in handy as a young married woman, too. I used to sew all of my kids' clothes, too, until Middle School was attended by them; then they wanted store-bought. It was fun, while it lasted, and now, I can sort of go back in time, because I can sew for DGD-2. ♥

Nancy's idea, of keeping a journal about projects to do, patterns, etc.. is a great idea! :idea: :arrow: :P I have a project journal now, because of her idea. I need to write a few projects inside it, which I want to work on, once my sewing machine gets tuned up, too. :idea:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:08 pm

Re q about floor loom apron it is heavy canvas (think tent tarp kind) ties to the front some times on the back too with a rod in it that ties to a dowel for warp to be ties on too.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:48 pm

Nancy , That's very interesting. :!: I have a friend, she has an adult DD, who had just graduated from college. I believe her degree was in art, because the DD is now a person who runs art shows and crafts shows, for a gallery. One day, my friend said her DD had gone to the home of an elderly man. She saw a large loom, she loved it, and he said for her to take it! She was so surprised and shocked! :o :shock: She told him she just could not take such an extravagant gift, from him. He said to her, how his loom wasn't being used anymore by him. He said his loom was waiting for the perfect person, to bring it back to life again, and if she promises to bring it back to life, she can have it for FREE! :P 8-) :D Yes, she took it, she was delighted beyond relief, and it's such a happy story, how the elderly man was waiting for the perfect person, and he sure found her. ♥ It made me so happy for my Dfriend's DD, too. :) Nice story.

I've been crocheting on DGD-2's Empire dress. I'm crocheting 50 crochets at a time, wanted to shoot for 1,000 by bedtime, but it takes too long, when I take a crochet break, to go putter in the house, do laundry, and things. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever finish it. :?: :o It's a SC - ch-1- sk 1 SC - SC in next stitch, using an "H" hook. It's almost as though I'm weaving fabric from yarn, because it's a tighter stitch and not lacy or holey. I need 12" to complete the dress skirt. I've got about 4", from a guess. It'll be a beautifully cute dress, too. ♥ It's 24-months size, so I need to get it done soon. She's 23 months, 3 days ago. I hope it'll fit, but if it doesn't, I decided to tell Ddil if it doesn't fit, to give it to a Dfriend of DGD's, who will fit it, as a "just because" gift. :idea: ;) I want it to be put to good use and worn by a special little girl. :)

I got some rubber stamping and scrap booking magazines together, for Ddil's boxes we're giving her. I think she's going to be surprised and very happy. I put in a little blue striped bucket, which holds 4 decorative scissors, and the scissors, too. I have a huge 3-tiered wooden caddy full of all sorts of decorative scissors, from Costco. These 4 extra scissors are actually taking up space and they are more needed (Probably) at Ddil's home, than mine. :idea: I don't know if I'll give her rubber stamps, this time, or think it over some more, before I make my final decision. Also, I have some scrap booking books and rubber stamping books, but Ddil is very creative, thinking up great ideas on her own, without books, and she frequents Pintrest a lot. I love to look at books, to get more ideas. I'll think over the rubber stamps give-away, because I plan to scrap and make cards, but not a lot. Just average, like a few days a week, instead of daily, like crochet. :idea:

Return to “The Creative Home”