Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2015

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2015

Postby Harriet » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:33 pm

What are you brainstorming these days? The planning and organizing of our arts, crafts and needlework can be as important (and fun) as any moments we spend in the midst of a project. We come up with the patterns that strike our fancy, and switch them around to suit our needs. We keep up with best organization for our materials and supplies. We take a photo or make notes to help us stay on track with our creative process and remind us of successes. Here's some of our February brainstorming:

Nancy found patterns in knitting books for a hoodie and coat.
FFriend searched Ravelry patterns for pullovers, mittens and hats.
Twins' Mom photographed more stamp sets for organization.
Elizabeth posted pictures for us to see her own pattern for dd's costume.
BookSaver is planning for the next sewing day camp - multi-fabric bags.
Harriet studied purse patterns and printed some.
RamblinRose came in to encourage!
Sunny, too, and she says, "keep posting those pictures"!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2015

Postby Nancy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:35 pm

Working on the mauve sweater I designed nearly done with the front now.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:55 am

Harriet, the rocks are just little river rocks -- I bought a box of them in Wmart, and wrote on them w/a Sharpie. It was a learning process, b/c my rocks apparently had been polished and had a waxy sheen on them. So I tore up several Sharpies before I got it right. The wax would get on the felt point and then it just would not write anymore. Finally I realized I was going to have to sand the rocks a little bit before writing. After that it was easy.
My ONLY talent is penmanship, so I tried to do several different fonts and then a little bit of design -- culiques or something -- around them, and then wrote the person's name (who gave me the word) on the back of the rock.
A coat of mod podge on each side restored some of the shine that sanding took away, and since the rocks I bought were several different shades, it looked really pretty.
I found a rectangular basket at dmil's that just fit for the number of rocks I had, and I made a little card from cardstock that had the verse Robert Burns' poem on it -- "O would some gift the giftee gie us, to see ourselves as others see us."
She was just really carried away with it. I am so glad I did it.

I had responses from 23 people. Some used the same word, and I allowed myself several rocks b/c I had lots of words, LOL. (Aren't y'all surprised?)
Some of the responses from others -- almost all family, but a few of her oldest friends -- were
gentle
steadfast
caring
generous
patient
awesome cook
sweet
kind
beautiful
friend
thoughtful
calm
intelligent
faithful
caring * that was neat, b/c both of her sisters-in-law said that as the first word that came to mind
sister * by one of the sisters-in-law, when I told her she used the same word as the other
lovely
devoted
classy
Godly
My words were
strong
understanding
saint * b/c I thought about how I'm always telling y'all my mother is a saint
Proverbs 31
Ellen O'Hara
* DS said, "What's with that?" I assured him that Granny would understand. There's a passage in GWTW that describes Ellen as all that is good about womanhood, a very great lady, and how Scarlett, when she was a small child confused her mother with the Virgin Mary, and when she grew older, she saw very little reason to change her opinion. It says, "Someday, when she was older, Scarlett intended to be like her mother."
Oh -- and ddil said to put a rock in that said "Granny" for dgs, and I added one that said "Mother."

If you search river rocks -- sharpie, or motivational sayings or something like that -- you can find plenty examples on pinterest. The only thing original I added was the poem.

~~~
:idea: I actually have another project in my mind, kinda mulling around. I brought home all of dmil's scarves, and I'm trying to decide how to display them and keep them. I do NOT want a "bohemian curtain" and I don't want to frame them -- there are too many. So I'm thinking maybe I could get a plain styrofoam wreath form and wrap them around it? And maybe have my crafty cousin make some flowers out of the stiffer fabric handkerchiefs?
Do y'all have any other ideas?

---
Dsisil wants all the costume jewelry to use in making a cross wall-hanging for dniece. She is going to use jewelry from dmil and her own dmother who passed away the year before. I am hoping there is enough of dmil's that she could make a small wall-hanging for us, b/c that sounds really nice.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:37 pm

I need ideas u-tube website suggestions, book titles etc. For teaching kids to knit, dgd wants to learn how at 6 might be too young, I am left handed so I need help, don't want her to learn my bad habits bc I knit backwards in the back of the stitches. I might ask older dgd to help.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:41 am

Somebody told me years ago, if someone's right-handed and is trying to teach somebody left-handed to knit or crochet OR if somebody's left-handed and is trying to teach someone to knit or crochet- to get a mirror to hold me, so the person who's learning from you, who is handed the opposite of you, can see a mirror image, which is "normal" to them. :idea: I recall how she said a mirror propped up in front of both of you, while you both look in at your images and work, as you proceed, helps a lot.

I crocheted a striped ear flap helmet in earthtones, for DGS-turning 4 in April. It's so beautiful! :o :shock: :P 8-)
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:49 am

The mirror method worked for dgd when she was 12. I could explain I knit in the back if the stich but she needed to knit in the front if it do not know if 5 yo would under stand that or not. I started them out with crochet but dgd 5 yo has not gotten the hang of that yet so I think she is a bit young. She can weave pot holders.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:07 am

lucylee, what an in-depth project to get so many loved ones to help for your dmother's sake. She must have felt so loved. Those are meaningful words! They have real weight!

Leave it to an English teacher to recall one line from Burns that sums up your point with the gift.

I've been thinking about scarves, but can't come up with a crafty way to display ... .... do use caution if eventual display receives sunlight, since they might fade.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:33 am

Dgd got 2 crocheted necklaces done yesterday she was very pleased! I wove a piece up sigh so now I have 2 warp up my looms again it was a short one piece warp ack! At least it turned out well. I sm toying withe the idea of making a tote out of it.

I have started the next skien on the wild flower sweater liking it a bit more now.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:48 pm

Don't worry, Harriet, if I do a wreath, it will strictly be used as an indoor wall decoration.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:38 pm

I did up a hat for dgd this week. Have most of the back of a sweater knitted up, I am liking the this project now I did not at first.

Return to “The Creative Home”