Art, Craft and Needlework, July 2015

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, July 2015

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:39 pm

Both looms are now warped.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:59 pm

Harmony, your aprons for dgd sound cute. I know she will be thrilled!

Thanks for the suggestions, Harmony and Harriet. The top took the whole jelly roll and I don't have any fabric that will match the colors. The aqua was what I really liked in this, but I found another roll of the same thing, so I have started to make the piano key border using all eight colors. I've worked on it this afternoon.

Harmony, I had to go back and look at the picture to see what you meant by the gray color in the quilt top. The gray color you see around the edge is really my green bedspread. The color is washed out because of the sunlight coming in the window above.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:14 pm

Harmony, how old is dgd? I think the apron pattern is cute and I love the pockets. You'll enjoy making it. I can just see the little monkeys in the fabric!

Sunny, I really think that will make a great border and will be a lot of fun to sew.

Our church women's group did not make anything for our retreat's gift shop this year. I feel kinda sad about it, but there were no suggestions of need for items/methods that I have ever made/stitched before. I think others felt that way, too. Hopefully, some were right up the alley of those from other churches.

I have my quilt block project-re-make laid out and hope to get to that after this weekend.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:49 pm

Harriet, DGD will be 5 in Aug. She is very skinny and not the usual size for her age. First one I did I followed the pattern measurements, picking one a couple inches over her chest and waist size. I was thinking it looked a little small for her, though I think it's the height. Was disappointed in one thing with the pattern, it only allowed for a 5/8" hem, just a little narrow thing turned under.

That's one reason I like to sew things... cheaper things I could buy look cheaply made, with tiny hems, etc. A couple inch hem looks like a better garment, don't you think? And after cutting, I didn't have any room for lengthening a bit. It will be ok.

The 2nd one I made I used the next size up on the pattern. She will just wrap it around a bit more and grow into it. I added a couple inches to the length and I even used lace hem trim inside, so it looks better made. I had a nice material of cream colored cotton with a bit of a polish to it with dark blue dots and maroon squares (tiny) scattered. Really nice material to sew on. I added trim to the pockets. Then I made a full size med. misses to match that one for DD. Turned out really nice. I made her pocket out of solid cream with a stripe at the top of the main material.

I have them hanging up ready for pictures.

Sunny, I'm glad for the explanation of the "grey". I didn't want to say but I couldn't figure out why you would have added grey to it as it didn't seem to coordinate! Have fun finishing it. Too bad you couldn't find a ready-made stripe in the right colors, but I know you will have fun creating your own.

Ok, I went back and followed Harriet's link to piano keys. Very nice. Actually, I didn't use my striped material for the border, one quilt I just made squares and sewed into a strip for borders. The striped material I had I used for the binding and was pleased how it looked.

Nancy, I guess the weaving is a long process? As kids we made little mats out of cardboard and string and yarn. Can't recall what we ever did with them!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:42 pm

Finished the blue baby blanket. Stared knitting on another on in a pinky beige yarn.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:48 am

I have another pot holder / hot pad going I trying to get the rest of that bit used up. I found some other yarn in toug. Blue, yellow gold, red and burgandy that really got me excited to do some projects with it. But I wanted 4 they only had 3 skins. I feel good today.

I have not been weaving.

Blue blanket is going to be picked up today.

On some weeks sunday is my sewing day.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:43 am

Well, I've given up on DH taking the pictures for me. I got the camera and after a long while hunting in the office, figured out how to charge the camera. I'd tried to take the pics first and nothing happened so I figured it must have been dead. I didn't know how to fix the settings except I did see how to turn off the window display which uses up a lot of power. Finally took some pictures, had to do it multiple times to learn how to get the flash to work.

Explanation of why I don't do these digital pics myself: for all the years of our marriage except for the past couple, I was in charge of remembering the film, the regular camera, taking the pictures, getting them printed, keeping the albums. This on top of being in charge of all vacations, packing, gifts, extra cooking etc. and when regular film camera became obsolete and we started using the digital I refused to have anything to do with it. Not. My. Job.

Now I have to learn it because I can't rely on DH to help me when I ask. Sun. AM he went out and took a picture of his truck and put it in the computer. Pfffft for that. So, I'll get prints of what I took and then fool around to see if I can get them in the computer. I did find the cable for that. I like to keep pictures of all my projects, have them for all my quilts except for one which is lost...and the wedding dress and pillow I made...

Doesn't do me any good to be helpless around here about anything, that's for sure.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:42 pm

Another hot pad is going now I am on a roll with these.

To be honest I am dreading the spinning meeting Sat. Bc of the heat in our forecast. It is a new yarn shop a grand opening. I feel like I have to go will have a look see at her shop but will not stay for the meeting. I skipped Tues. Bc of ths jeep being in the shop. (Sh-h do not remind em about our other car.) Taking a break is not all bad.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:16 pm

Harmony, I have a similar story of waiting for my children to take or send photos. :roll: Right now, both dd16 and ds30 are slightly in the doghouse with me because of this. I need to become photo-self-sufficient. I'm just excited for you that you have some creativity to photograph! Maybe you can post for August.

Nancy, don't do what you dread. It's not worth it! But I hope you are surprised that there is some fun as well. That's great about the hot pads.

Today I took apart that quilt block that disappointed me, and remade it with a darker, bolder fabric in the center. I really like it much better now, with enough contrast. The way it was, the pattern didn't show up well and the fabrics just blended in to each other.

I also rearranged where my pressing board sits.

Yesterday, I pressed five blossoms from my basket of purple torenia.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:55 pm

It is just the heat, figuring out new location parking etc. Not getting my way at continuing to met at the library. If I go it will be just for a bit a look see. I was hoping go get to go during the mid week first to work out parking etc.

Return to “The Creative Home”