Art, Craft and Needlework, July 2015

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, July 2015

Postby Harriet » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:33 pm

"You employ stone, wood, and concrete, and with these materials you build houses and palaces. That is construction.

Ingenuity is at work.

But suddenly, you touch my heart, you do me good. I am happy and I say: 'This is beautiful." That is architecture.

Art enters in."

- LeCorbusier, 1927

What have you employed lately, to make a thing of beauty? :)

In June,
Nancy says, "I am learning cables now yea! Love new options this brings as I learn in the aran fisherman style knit pattern." Also she finished a blue & pink knit baby blanket.
Elizabeth posted photos of a stuffed cat she crocheted and began planning a stuffed Turtle.
Lady Maverick came in to encourage!
Ramblin'Rose came in to encourage!
Harriet got a compliment on her quilt design wall. Now to do something besides ponder it.
Harriet's dd attended an architecture program for a week and had a small exhibit of her sketches.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, July 2015

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:14 pm

I am embarked on Christmas in July projects early this year. Doing hats in various colors has been fun.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:18 pm

I had to improve the nose on the cat before sending it to my niece. Here is the revised version. It was sent off on Friday, July 3rd and the ninja turtle started on the same day.
Cat Nose.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:39 pm

Here's something else I have finished this month.
702.jpg
554.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:44 pm

I now have ten hats completed for my Christmas in July project.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:35 am

Nancy, you are going to be so prepared for Christmas gifts, and have so much fun giving. It must make you feel confident that you'll have a relaxed holiday.

Elizabeth that's a lovely dress, hat and parasol (did you use a tiny dowel for the parasol?). Love the nipped in waist, buttons. Is this commuter time well spent?

Makes me remember I said I would post sketch from dd's time away.

I am ripping seams to exchange a center square of a quilt block for better contrast.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:48 am

Next learning a pattern for chicken shaped dish clothes!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:35 pm

Y'all are all amazing. I have not talent like you do.

My mother is/was an amazing at knitting. She could knit everything, and knitted all my sweaters when I was growing up. Recently she gave me a beautiful fully sequined sweater she made years ago.

It is too small for me, but I have put it away in hopes that perhaps my son's wife or daughter... if he ever has either... can wear it.

When I was around 12 I tried to knit a sweater for myself and by the time I finished, it was too small.
Then I knitted a sweater for my boyfriend and right after I gave it to him we broke up.
Next I knitted a sweater for my fiance and right after I gave it to him, we broke up.
Finally I figured I needed to wait a bit into a relationship to make sure it was secure and worth my time and efforts, so...
I knitted a sweater for my husband and right after I gave it to him, we got divorced.

I haven't done any knitting after that. :lol:
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:03 pm

Oh, RRose, what a story! Don't give up!

I've just gone back the past couple months and looked at all the pictures. You gals are just so talented! I love everything.

Sunny, I'm so very impressed with your quilt. I remember us talking about jelly role quilts and how easy that would be... but yours adds a nice twist and I think it's beautiful! Have you made any more progress on it?

Y'all just have so much talent! I still have my little aprons to sew for DGD and must get them done within the next 2 weeks. When I have time I don't have the energy. I regret that I have so little creativity in my life these days. Maybe someday...

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:29 am

Harriet: I used a skewer for the parasol. And the project was mostly a commuter project, started in November and finished in June. However, there were two intervening projects, so that was not as long as it sounds.

Ramblinrose: The knit to breakup pattern is well known in the crafting world. I think there is a name for it, but I don't know it. The advantage to working with dolls is that they never breakup and never outgrow what you have made. However, if you knit something for yourself, at this point in your life, it is likely to still fit when you are done. Bedspreads and dishcloths are never outgrown either.

Return to “The Creative Home”