Art, Craft and Needlework, July 2015

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, July 2015

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:09 pm

I need to think about gift basket / bags liners to seam up for those.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:34 pm

Here are some of the funny sketches dd did while away at the architecture program, living in the dorm with other teens. From top, these are :
the single-minded artist,
the guy who thinks he's the work of art,
and the dream everyone had of burgers instead of the cafeteria food.

people sketches June 2015.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:09 pm

Awesome sketches Harriet's dd did!

I have another hat done.

Got my table loom out so I can continue warping it. The warp is wound off so that helped.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:38 pm

Great sketches Harriet. I like dd's style!

Elizabeth, your crocheted cat is so cute and the doll outfit is beautiful. You are very talented!

Nancy, you have really been busy with all your Christmas in July projects.

Thank you, Harmony. I haven't done anything more with the quilt top yet. I'm still trying to decide if it needs a darker border around it. What would you all think? I'd like to call it "Cotton Candy" as the colors reminded me of that sugary candy at state fairs and parks etc.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:46 pm

Warped my table loom and have one project woven up on it.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:27 pm

Sunny, I looked and looked at the picture of your quilt. Is that a grey stripe you put around? I guess I would pick one of the colors or a shade of one of the same colors that is in the quilt and if you want to go darker maybe the brown? You seem to have a lot of pink and yellows but I got stumped because of the grey. The grey has something else in it, what color is that? One of the quilts I did has light blues, white, browns and I found a stripe with the same colors and cut it across the stripe so those same colors in the quilt went round the quilt, perpendicular to the quilt and I liked the effect. You might think about where you'll use the quilt and what would go best there. Yes, I lean towards dark..

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:56 am

Whoops, Sunny I missed your question - sorry! If you did find, like Harmony, some fabric you really loved that had the colors of the quilt in it, that would make a great border, so I agree with her on that. Just my thought on the most interesting color in the quilt would be the blue/aqua, btw, for a "cotton candy" look. I don't remember if you had any of your fabrics left over, but you could come up with your own "stripe" like Harmony mentioned, by seaming some together and cutting at right angles to make a "piano key border".

You really can't go wrong no matter what you choose, because what you are wanting is contrast and you will automatically have that because you've gone light with your sashing, which was probably smart.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:43 pm

Thanks for saying that Sunny!
I have 3\4 ths of a sm. Baby blanket knit up in teal.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:21 am

Sew up pillow case for ToddlerN Minnie Mouse print in flannel found a remnant. :mrgreen: done!

I have started another knit throw or baby blanket, had to locate the yarn in my stashed in a tote in the craft zone in the area I have not cleared yet. :roll:

2nd pot holder of this batch is going now too a nice small portable project. Teal one is not as portable now that is nesrly done.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:30 pm

I am sewing away here on the aprons for DGD. She and her Mom bake together in the kitchen, I see pictures on FB so I know she'll like this. She loves to dress up.

Simplicity 2319. Facings around arms that are sewed down leaving a casing and one long tie through that, up around the loop for the neck and back into the casing for the other side tie, so it's adjustable. Gathered skirt.

I had started a quilt I never did much on and used that material. Little monkey heads all over, then I had other monkey material appliques I used one to embelish the "bib" part.

I have more grown-up material I'm going to make a little bigger one for her to grow into and one for DD to match. I had to force myself to start, not confident I could really still do this as I haven't sewed in so long. I will put some pictures on soon.

Return to “The Creative Home”