Art, Craft and Needlework, August 2015

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, August 2015

Postby Harriet » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:06 pm

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Pablo Piccaso

So interesting to think about "Christmas in July" as Nancy has been doing. Well, interesting and a little shocking to think how quickly the year can pass. Christmas is 20 weeks away.

In July,

Nancy worked on Christmas in July - hats, potholders, hot pads - and warped her looms.
Elizabeth posted photos of a crocheted doll gown, hat and parasol.
RamblinRose came in to encourage, and remembered her knitting days.
Sunny worked on a "piano key" border for her Cotton Candy quilt.
Harmony made aprons for her dgd and dd and took photos before giving them.
Harriet un-stitched a quilt block and re-made it with different fabric, pressed blossoms.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, August 2015

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:49 pm

I am 1/3rd of the way with knitting up a lap robe / baby blanket. Green batch of hot pads nearing the end one or two more to do up.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:14 pm

Thanks for opening, Harriet. Picasso was slightly nuts, but I do agree with his saying!

Last week DD had posted a picture of DGD baking in the kitchen with her and she had a little child-sized apron on. I was disappointed, because up to now she didn't have one that was just for her. Found out this weekend, it was a paper apron brought home from a birthday party! Anyway, she liked the little aprons, though there was a lot going on at the breakfast restaurant and I didn't get to see them on her. At the moment she was more impressed with the package of Frozen transfers (tattoos) and wanted one of them on her arm. I'm sure I will see them on her at some point, plus the one I made DD.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:52 pm

I have a couple of baby blankets in the works this month. One hot pad had to be ripped out to the starting chain to add 5 stitches miscounted and it was too small reworking this one up again this week can you say do-over!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:57 pm

Trying to make a nylon net scrubby. Never tried them before. Hard stuff to work with. First one I had to tear out, now I'm having more success with the 2nd one. Can't seem to follow the pattern, but we'll see how it turns out.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:19 am

Harmony good luck w those scrubbies! I tried them but gave up before I was happy with the results I had not seen them so did not know what they were supposed to look like. U are right not easy stuff to work with maybe try washing it first.

I have been weaving on the table loom I have apx. 2/3rds of this one done. It goes fast at this point once I decide what to use for weft!

The do over hot pad is done now yea!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:17 pm

Ok, so it's not just me who found it hard to work with that net! Here's a few hints for anybody ever trying this:

Cut about 1" strips instead of 2". Easier to handle. I used my mat and rotary cutter, but with the ruler on top I could hardly see where the edge of the net is. Fold the net lengthwise again and again and cut through many layers at once, much easier that way. Join all the strips together in one long one with regular double knots.

I ended up not following any of the patterns. Just crochet a circle and make circle bigger and bigger, putting double stitches in each one for each row and make sure it lays flat until you get it as big as you want. Turn to other side and go around, decreasing each row until the back circle is made. Put all the knots on the inside for bulk and any little pieces left over in there for stuffing.

Use a K needle, I tried smaller ones and had trouble with the netting. It got easier as I went along. It turned out pretty cute after all, but took me all evening. Not sure it's worth the effort!

OK, I just made another one, got carried away and made it a lot bigger and stuffed it a bit. Cute! They get easier as I learn how to handle the net!

Today (Sat) I got my material washed, rinsed, dried. I have to wash it in the bathtub rather than the washing machine. Learned the hard way that my low water front-load machine does not provide enough water / soaking time to remove all the excess dye. So it's a bit more work, but it does the trick. Some dark color in there did bleed a bit and I washed a couple times until it came clean. Put it in the machine to rinse and spin, then dried. I am making a lap quilt for someone.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:54 pm

Making a lap quilt. Easy project, as I picked an already printed college fabric which is just up their alley... they'll really like it as they all have shirts with those logos and occasionally go to a game...

Put 4" coordinating strips around. Everything measured out fine, all pressed ready to put together with backing.

Backing material which was supposed to be 44 - 45 inches wasn't. It was about 42 and it had the largest selvages I've ever seen, so now the backing is too small for the top. Decided on the easiest fix, I'm tearing out the one strip and going to cut some off the middle top fabric. Just so annoying. Learned my lesson, measure the fabric regardless of what tag is on the bolt cardboard.

I didn't think I had it in me to piece a top, and I know this will be just perfect for them anyway... and now this. It's already a square pattern so I plan to follow the lines and machine quilt the squares. Once I get all the tearing out done and cutting and restitching the border. Sheesh.

Wondering, maybe I don't have the patience for projects any more. It certainly feels that way.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:06 pm

I have been working up some hats this mo. Still working in whittling down my stash. They are fun. I have 2-3 more to do.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Harmony, I hope it's fun to quilt, anyway. I gave a team-fabric gift a few times, and they were big hits. People feel so honored when you remember something personal to them.

I took a garment from useless to a good church dress, so am very pleased about that. I topstitched over existing placket stitching down the front torso of dd's new button-front dress, to close it. It was really quite chancy to wear until I did, with the spaces between buttons pulling open randomly as she sat or moved. I think it was because of the extreme lightweight material as much as her movements. The buttons made the process look impossible by machine, but as soon as I realized I could stitch only between the buttons, it worked fine. Stitching was invisible and she felt completely comfortable in it at church.

Return to “The Creative Home”