Art, Craft and Needlework, December, 2008

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, December, 2008

Postby Harriet » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:00 am

“There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age.” - Sophia Loren

One way or another, December is a month that points out our creativity. We may have deliberately put away some crafts and gift-making (the way sensible holiday plans tell us to!), or we may be blithely continuing on with happy creative messes threatening to pile up in the way of holiday prep!!! :D We will delight in our own choices of cards and wrapping styles as well as others' choices as they come our way through the season. Children will say: "help me make... ... " and we will drop everything! :lol: We'll decorate (Cool!). And, perhaps best of all, someone will say, "thank you, I really love it", and make our efforts toward bringing creativity to others all worthwhile!

What's happening in your art, craft and needlework life this December?

Be sure to check out SuzLew's ornament photographs and BookSaver's research into spool knitters/spool looms in November's thread.

SuzLew

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, December, 2008

Postby SuzLew » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:18 pm

I am working today on 7 cross-stitch ornaments I need to mail to Dsil. 3 are done, 2 1/2 x stitch done. when I finish these want to work on xstitch face of doll I am making Dd/36 for Christmas. Then will finish ceramic head and feet and paws doll I am making Dd/30 for Christmas. whew!! I better get busy! If you want to see my ornaments check November Art, Craft and Needlework pictures.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:53 am

Set up the sewing machine for machine quilting this evening. I was going to tie the 1860s quilt but started getting worried about whether the tying would hold up through washings and hard wear since it's bound to get dirty, and couldn't get that out of my mind. So I'm quilting "in the ditch" so that the stitching barely shows (I hope) and doesn't detract from the old look. Chose a sort of a taupe-tan color thread, changed from my nearly-every-project use of beige! LOL

I have 4 of 7 interior segments of the quilt quilted, and then there's the border, which equals, probably, another 2 segments, then the binding which probably equals the time for 3 more. So, I'd say I'm 1/3 the way to making the label and popping it into a box. Actually, since setting up the space (and changing a broken needle - yikes, the collision turned a pin into a zig-zag!) took a lot of time, I may be closer to half-way through.

I think I'm going to name this one "Briscoe's Cabin" after its look-alike quilt in Briscoe Darling's cabin on the "Mountain Wedding" episode of The Andy Griffith Show. I was pretty much determined to make a more complicated pattern until I noticed it while watching the show, in so many scenes, and thought it looked ideal for a soldier's quilt - just squares.

Emptynester mentioned she might get to post some photos, too. Looking forward to that. It's great to get to see what you all are doing, so anybody who'd like to, please post photos anytime.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

SuzLew

Postby SuzLew » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:30 am

Hooray! I finished the 7 ornaments finished and mailed off today! It was like a big weight lifted off of me! My sis in law wanted to see my ornaments so I sent her same photos in Nov. arts and crafts thinking she just wanted one ornament and she ordered 7! :o Now need to get busy on Dd/36 doll that was in cross stitch and country magazine a few years ago. The face of the doll is cross stitched and plan to have blue eys like Dd/36! (She has beautiful blue eyes like Dh) Thinking of using scraps from her bridesmaid dressed for the dress!

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:20 pm

Will try to upload the picture.

Each of the DGD gets an ornament. When I started I only made 2 - now I have to make 6.

The eyes and buttons are black beads. The backs have dark green Aida cloth with the names and 2008 in counted cross stitch. I'm not posting a picture as I don't want the names to show. Hope you understand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

SuzLew

Postby SuzLew » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:30 pm

EMPTYNESTER: what were fronts made on and of?? if xstitched did you sew front to back and was there any middle filling! Very cute would love to do for my dgrandkids and kids some year!? Will you share??

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:39 am

Well done to everyone on their projects.

MT, please may I echo Suzlew......I love the snowmen ornaments.......would also like to do some for our tree.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:54 am

They are made of plastic canvas and stitched with yarn. You could make two canvas sides, stuff them and whip stitch them together. I did that with some teddy bears a few years ago. These I just glued Aida cloth to the other side.

I'll scan in the patterns - so anyone that wants them just PM me and give me your email address and I'll email them to you.

I was lucky - a few weeks ago I went to a used book sale and there was a whole box of plastic canvas patters - I pulled out all the Christmas ones as they make cool ornaments.
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:53 pm

Came around the corner yesterday and caught this happy glimpse - this is what I've been doing. Unfortunately, I've been doing it in the front room because it takes so much space :roll: so I'll be glad when it's complete!

MachineQuiltingDec08.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:09 pm

Loved looking at everybody's projects. It is nice being able to view pictures now.

I have one to report, but don't get your hopes up, it's nothing nearly as creative as your things!

I made DH a pouch for his wrenches, one of those roll up things with all the pockets for each size, with sewed on strap to hold it in a roll. I had some vinyl material and the backing was a material-like fabric and I knew that would get dirty so I made it all double with the vinyl on top and bottom.

A couple years ago I made him one out of striped canvas and he was a little amazed at the colors of the canvas. Unfortunately, he used it too close to the welder and the sparks burned up a great deal of it. I'm hoping this one last a little longer. I'm wrapping it up for Christmas!

Return to “The Creative Home”