Art, Craft and Needlework, September 2015

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, September 2015

Postby Harriet » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:51 am

What's making your creative world go 'round these days? Please come post with us, and let us in on the enjoyment!

Sunny is now quilting her "Cotton Candy" quilt, that will have a pieced border.
Harmony is quilting her college-fabric lap quilt,
and gave us tips she's learning while crocheting nylon net scrubbies.
Nancy has been weaving on both table and floor loom,
and is making hats of ombre yarn.
blessedw2 says being away from home limits time for creative gifts,
but she's been able to bake one gift-batch of cookies a week.
Harriet altered five "adaptive tops", that allow invalids to put on shirts easily.
Harriet's dd17 has the dining room messy with projects to start art classes at school!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, September 2015

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:15 pm

Started a purple striped hat.
Checked on yarn I would like one more skein for a project it is in the way.
Gifts to weave.
Rag rug weft to cut and prep before weaving.
Shades of blue project to finish weaving.
Sewing to do do sewing day.
Spinning day fiber prep. To do.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:07 pm

Was feeling very unmotivated for a while, but finally I did get at least enough strips cut for my binding. I picked the other fabrics for the throw pillow I'm making to match, also. I'm so close to finishing the quilt, I just need to sit down and do it.

Ok, yesterday I sewed the binding on and last evening began the long job of hand sewing it to the back. All done now and I'm pleased with the result. Now to do the pillow..

Did the pillow tonight. In the lets-make-a-simple-project-complicated department, I made a center panel with strips around and I padded and quilted the top; I made the back in 2 pieces for the opening and did 4 buttonholes (aren't they the hardest task?) and 4 buttons. Had to take about an inch of the stuffing out of the pillow and now it all fits. All I need to do is make a label and one gift will be made.

So this morning I made the label. I appliqued the round indian head motif onto the label, stuffed it from the back and shadow quilted around it, then I appliqued the whole label on. Most complicated label I've ever made, but I like it. Sure made a complicated project out of a non-pieced quilt but I'm pleased. Will make a nice Christmas gift I think.

By the way, Sunny sent me a plastic canvas needlepoint butterfly she made in the birthday card she sent. Very cute! I put it on the front of our refrigerator.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:28 pm

That sounds great, Harmony - very creative label making! Hand sewing binding to the back is a long job, but it can be pleasant work. It makes the quilt hang/lie better because it's not so stiff.

I save attractive button fronts of garments that otherwise are to be tossed. These make easy pillow backs. If I don't like the whole back made out of them, I can just use as few inches width of it as I like of the button area, as a central or off-center stripe, with other fabrics that match the pillow and make the back of it attractive. Ideas I thought of but haven't used yet - dyeing a pretty one that is too light colored; trying it on the diagonal for interest.

Dd17 is totally in LOVE with her ceramics class and teacher. She is doing very well on pots! Has been bringing home photos to show. She is supposed to take a class next semester at that time/period that has to do with the word "craft" and the class description made me think of textiles. So I have been looking forward to the idea that she might sew some. But she loves ceramics so much she is thinking of switching that class to Ceramics 2.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:01 pm

Harriet, that is the best idea for getting an opening with buttons and buttonholes easily into something. Why did I never think of that? I will sure remember this tip! I really like the diagonal idea, it would make the opening way bigger and easier to use.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:18 pm

I found some bright colored cotten yarn I had not used before so I got 2 skiens and am working on the round starburst dish clothes for Christmas guft baskets.

Neighbors are getting married so I gave them a gift basket too.

Return to “The Creative Home”