Art, Craft and Needlework, October, 2015

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, October, 2015

Postby Harriet » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:29 pm

Thank you, Sunny. I used to get the catalogs from her but I guess that's been a while and I hadn't ordered. Didn't realize she does videos like these.

Here is a video how-to that I found very practical. It ishow to turn a long-sleeve top, tee, or sweatshirt into an open-front lightweight cardigan-style jacket. No additional cost, really, just some leftover plain fabric like a cotton calico, and a sewing machine. I see other how-to videos on this subject but they get way involved, such as trims and remaking the garment, and I know I wouldn't have time for that.

She uses a contrasting color of the calico she uses for facing the cut front edges. I'm sure that's just so viewers can see what she's doing. I would use a similar color facing as the garment. The lady also shows buttons if you want, but I don't need that.

The reason I need this type of garment is for church mostly. I look so much more "put together" with a second, open-front layer over a top. It gives that vertical center line, too, to look slimming. A necklace and I'm good to go.

It's just that you can't find them! And those I have found are quite thin. Okay for now, but in winter might seem skimpy. Whereas, it is not so big a deal to find long-sleeved plain-front tops.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:46 pm

I got a narrow warp on the table loom, wove a bit up but the pattern is on the underside so I need to tweak that.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:16 am

Shortening jeans more simply, keeping the original hem.

Hoping this works on my wider-leg jeans that I'll probably do tomorrow. Because they have a slight flare this may not be as exact as straight-leg but I'm going to try.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:37 pm

I made one pillow case and one gift bat today both with cowboy print! One for dgd who wants a horse. The other for hubby.

Return to “The Creative Home”