Art, Craft and Needlework, January 2016

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, January 2016

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:51 pm

HeartsOrnamentsSmall.jpg

Here are the ornaments I've made this past week - the one on the right is dd17's choices of fabrics and trim and we'll keep that one. The others are a set for ddil, who loves to decorate seasonally.

I really loved photos from a tutorial of felt with hand-embroidery on the net. They didn't even need to worry about fraying edges. But I wanted to sew cottons, since that's my love, and use my machine embroidery blanket stitch. So for the inner heart shape (which is 1/8th inch larger than the opening) I traced onto fusible paper, pressed that onto the back of the main fabric. Then most of it cut out, with 1/8th inch of the fusible left around that inner edge to press onto accent fabric for inner heart. Fused and machine embroidered, those edges are as fray-proof as the felt ones were. But just 1/8th inch of fusible doesn't make the heart stiff.

HeartOrnamentsCloseUp.jpg

Here's a close-up, I hope, of the buttons on the set of three that are a birthday gift for ddil. These are from my maternal grandmother's stash, which she used at the house where ddil is living now, while she took care of me as a child. Could be as young as 55 years old, say. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:38 pm

Oh, Harriet, these hearts are really sweet! I really like the fabrics. What a nice treasure for dd17 and ddil!
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:58 am

I've had some creative time in the last couple of days. Spent some time on Friday upstairs stamping and making cards, then again yesterday afternoon. I made a couple of sympathy cards, a valentine that I'll send to dmom, and a bat mitzvah card for next weekend. Not my best work by any means, but passable. I'm enjoying using my new supplies and goodies, too.

Am thinking that I will ask activities gal at dsis' nursing home if she wants some cards for residents to send. I can purge my stash of some cards a bit too.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:21 pm

Last night I sewed a flap for my small chameleon purse out of a dressier fabric so I can carry it to the theatre today. I will wear it cross-body while I usher, since my outfit won't have pockets for my stuff. In theory, they have a place to lock up purses while we work; in practice, it would be easy for a thief to watch for the opportune time to go into the office and walk out with the lot.

Harriet ~ Your heart ornaments are beautiful. The close up photo shows the precision of your blanket stitching.

Make-ahead idea for Christmas: Yesterday one of the PBS sewing shows featured a Countdown to Christmas Calendar wall hanging. Here is a link to the photo:
http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/ch ... ct+pack.do

In case the link doesn't work, the design is a simple folk art Christmas tree. The ornaments are colorful plastic buttons in Christmas shapes, fastened with Velcro dots. The calendar numbers are represented by a measuring tape cut down to 25 inches, and strips of Velcro store the buttons until the proper date to decorate the tree. There are little pockets at the bottom of the wall hanging to hold notes to Santa or other treats. It looks like a cute activity for a child who is old enough to know not to swallow the buttons.

A similar idea from a recent magazine cover: A wall hanging of a Christmas tree where the decorative ornaments were fancy rhinestone brooches and orphan earrings, and the garland was a pretty necklace chain.

Return to “The Creative Home”