Art, Craft and Needlework, January 2016

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
BookSaver
Administrator

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, January 2016

Postby BookSaver » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:45 pm

Thanks for the photo, Harriet. So pretty!

I had the pleasure tonight of attending a free 1-hour webinar from Sulky.com. I always think of that company's products as being mostly for people with embroidery machines, which I do not have. I was very pleased with the presentation tonight (about decorative pockets for shirts and bags) that they gave the instructions first for regular sewing machines. Then after the basic instructions and tips for a decorated heart shape on regular machines, they showed how to do a different shape with tips for embroidery machines.

Clever marketing on their part. Some of their products were originally designed especially for embroidery, but of course stabilizers and beautiful threads can be used with any machine and even for sewing by hand.

If you are at all interested in how to make a decorative heart-shaped pocket, they said the recording of the webinar will be uploaded to their site by the end of the week. It will be under their tab for Education & Events.

I see they have a few earlier recordings available for free as well, which I'll go back to watch sometime.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:59 am

Thanks so much, guys! :)

Have to thank HRH for getting me a better photo - his hands are so steady. I wonder sometimes what this will mean for me in the future, creatively. Not the steadiest hands, not the sharpest sight - you know.

That was a smart idea for a program, BookSaver - your group is blessed to be able to get these good speakers. I want to see that at end of week.

I began to wonder (because I am cheap :lol: ) what other free ideas Sulky might have already posted. So I Searched for "Sulky Education and Events" and down at the bottom, are "For You" "Free Projects". Some are too big or need an embroidery machine, but also a few small simple things. I wish I had had those instructions for "Frayed Print Upside-Down Applique" back when I was decorating sweatshirts for the kids, and using fabric paint! So cute. I think you could do it without the special glue spray, just pinning around the edges.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:41 pm

Today I took out a sleeve nearly done that had wrong stitch count cast on sigh. Oh well will redo it later.

I have enough to do a shawl out of this as well maybe this fall.

WTG gals on your projects and inspiration!

I got two more warps wound off this morning while waiting the washer yea me!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:21 pm

Looking on the net for fabric heart ornament/decor, possibly thinking of a few as a bday gift for ddil, who likes to hang small seasonal decor in windows, etc. Reds that would work for Valentine's Day would also work for the Christmas tree later if she wanted.

I found several tutorials and photos out there that interested me, and sent all their links to myself in one email. Also made some notes in it about general ideas I was seeing, that didn't really have a certain link. That way I have ideas all together when I get back to it, without forgetting what I saw.

I would have a week to ten days to manage this. Thinking of a set of 3 hanging heart ornaments that would go together, but each slightly different. I really love the felt ideas I see, but I need to be using my stash of fabrics, not buying new stuff!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:39 am

I may be doing a redo on that sleeve again sigh! But do not have to rip out as much. Thinking about some green chrochet thread to get for warp I have a green project I want to do uo for a seat cover for the green truck.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:52 pm

Harriet, very pretty bookmark!

I have been coloring in my book and find it quite addicting. Also way more creative than I'd imagined. There's all the color choosing and texture which I can add by using one color on top of another. I've done a bit of that using 3 or 4 colors in a particular space and surprised at the result. Instructions in the front of the book tell how there are 2 kinds of markers and one can use those and pencils on top...there are also pencils one can use water on brushes to blend afterward.

So lots of ideas, but really I'm not nearly as creative as you guys seem to be, so I'm just enjoying it the easy way. I left the book open to a picture for DH to see with a post it note saying, see, and you thought I really wouldn't do this. He replied No I didn't and left a stick figure drawing saying that..too cute!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:06 pm

Nancy, sorry about the sleeve frustration!

Smiling at Harmony and Mr. Harmony writing notes to each other. I saw an idea of using those pages for a custom mat for a photo in a frame.

I made a cardboard template for a heart ornament today. Found the shape I liked on one of the sites I found. This one is a heart with a smaller heart cut out inside it.

For templates I don't need to see through, I print (or draw or whatever) onto regular white paper and write any extra explanation within the template shape, so it will always be there to read. Then I Elmer's-glue it down onto the plain cardboard side of glossy cardboard. This time I used some from a box of rice. After it's close to dry, I cut out both layers (cardboard plus paper glued on) directly on the cutting line, and weight it down so that it finishes drying really flat.

If it's something I plan to trace many times, it might be better to use flat plastic so edges don't wear away. But paper can't be expected to stick onto that for long, so notes need to be written with Sharpie marker onto the plastic itself. If it's clear plastic, though, you can see through it and choose what part of the fabric design you want to cut.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:13 pm

Thanks for the simpathy Harriet.

I am working on a new batch of walking stick blanks. They are ready to peel then sand. Rain in the forecast but Sun. Is better.

I got that green crochet thread and some red as well. Wound some red warp off for Feb. Weaving it is ready to chain up.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:33 am

I was thinking maybe I'd cut out some of the motifs I've colored and glue to inside of greeting cards I am sending, stuff like that. Some of my pages are actual pictures, like my favorite one is a big wooden cupboard half open used for a potting shed with all the tools hanging inside and on the inside door with pots of flowers sitting all around the base, etc. But some pages are just different butterflies to color, stuff like that. The book DD got me have sayings on each page like "Faith does not make things easy, it makes them possible", "pray more, worry less" (which I will tape up somewhere I can see it every day) etc. It also has a lot of nautical pictures, lighthouses, etc.

I'm sure if I had any drawing ability at all I would find this boring, but I do not. I also have been thinking that this is the first craft I've ever done that I actually enjoy the process, not just the end result. Most things I do, I don't actually enjoy the doing, I just focus on the end result. Though, I guess I do enjoy the process of the hand quilting all the little stitches. So those 2 things.

Harriet, did you ever finish that beautiful quilt where you made the compass thing paper pieced?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:20 am

I cleaned some stuff out of the fragt closet working on spinning up some fiber it takes up less space after it is spun.

Return to “The Creative Home”