Art, Craft and Needlework, January 2016

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, January 2016

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:18 pm

Thanks to everyone who made this thread so interesting in 2015!

I get so interested whenever I see a new post has been made here.

I always wonder what you all are up to, or whether you have a new idea for finding time for creativity!

Tell us how your December went in YOUR creative life.. ...
... or how you feel about your 2015 pursuits.

Does anyone have end-of-year compliments to report?
Gifts you were able to give
or decor in your homes that received compliments?
Did you have insights into your creative pursuits
or have you decided to make 2016 changes in priorities or plans?
Do tell !

What are you going to change for 2016?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, January 2016

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 pm

I am working on 3 projects a lap robe over half done in jewel tones with biege, ombre yarn. A pink verigated sweater back is done half of the front is as well. For mom's bday A neck scarf half done.

Thinking on weaving projects to finish.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:09 pm

I edited my last post to make a correction about the backing fabric on the mug rugs. The plain fabric I used on the front with the bright prints was unbleached muslin, but the backing was light blue lightweight denim.

Harriet ~ I looked at a lot of mug rug patterns online and there seems to be a wide variance in the sizes, from that of a coaster to almost as large as a placemat. Mine finished roughly 10 by 11 inches.

Plans for 2016:
I hope to do a lot more sewing. I've spent several years in a row where most of my sewing has been for charity, but this year I want to sew more projects for myself and family.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:16 am

How my December went in my creative life... . ..

I was down about it.
Took time for pretty bow-making and wrapping but nobody cared.
Could have used the time for more lasting art.
Next year, gift bags.

4 teen or pre-teen girls did get gift necklaces dd17 and I made from nice Hobby Lobby pendants, and satin and faux leather cords. They really looked nice.

I did rediscover a sewing project (UFO) that will be fun to complete for dd35's birthday the third week of this month, and it could be mailed to her if she doesn't get back here before then.

A friend remembered and complimented an ornament I made her several years ago. Makes me want to sew that project again. I noticed recently that I still have several paper piecing pattern copies for it.

In 2016, I hope to work a little bit on Christmas gifts through the year. Like Rudolph Club, which would have the 25th of each month reserved for it, but I would not pressure myself to always work on the exact date.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:11 am

I hope to make time for card making this year. I ended up wanting to make some personalized cards for Hanukkah and Christmas, but just ran out of time. Since I have purchased wonderful supplies already, perhaps I'll work ahead on that task. I need to restock my sympathy cards as well.

First is to clean up the crafting desk.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:50 pm

Twins' I always like hearing about your card-making. Clearing the way for creativity space doesn't seem creative, but all the fun depends on it.

Happy to "search" and find my own notes on making the type of project I want to do. It was in our October 2010 thread. That helped me to be sure of how I did the interfacing. Even though that thread wasn't nearly as long as the ones around it, it was interesting. That's the thread in which Nancy explained how she makes her puppets, and BookSaver told about making a new woman's size apron from a small dress found at Goodwill.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:42 pm

I finished the lap robe last night yea, another ufo is done!
I am carding wool I came across while cleaning up this past mo.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:48 pm

Here it is: the promised pictures of my Ugly Christmas Sweater, which I call Fifty Shades of Ugly. Photos do not do the mismatched yarns justice. The drape is similar to that of an area rug. Oddly enough, it did not win. Too many people liked it! However, my plan is to add a little more ugliness every year. Some ideas are pom-poms in an unmatched (preferably fluorescent) green, hideous reindeer pockets, and/or a fillet crochet border of Santa Claus faces in some yet to be determined (but certainly unmatching) color. For your viewing pleasure???
ugly front.jpg
ugly back.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:45 am

My first response was "Awwww...!" And then I read that others didn't feel it was so "ugly" either, which is actually disappointing, so ... Sorry! :lol: But really I think I was "Awwww-ing" over you, Elizabeth, with such a pleasant smile on your face and a sweet doll with you. It's a really good photo. And I'm sorry but - you both look nice to me! (oops)

I can see the oddly unmatched shades (whoa, are they unmatched) and the not-exactly-geometric pattern! There are even differences in the sizes of the squares, I believe. So there is no doubt you got the techniques and color theory right ... um... wrong. I would give you the stitcher's or artist's award, for sure.

Maybe people were expecting to see images, as you said - reindeer, that sort of thing - to direct the eye over the garment with surprises on which the eye would rest. Memorable images to (literally?) point to, and choose a winner.

Best wishes in your quest for the pinnacle of ugly sweater artistry

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:03 am

truely Elizabeth, I don't think it is ugly enough, nor do colours clash enough.
I think it needs some purple, turquoise, and yellow.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “The Creative Home”