Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2016

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2016

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:49 pm

How will you find time for your March creativity? What are the plans that will get your creative juices flowing?

In February
Elizabeth bought baby sweater buttons, planned Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtle weapons & corrected a Barbie pattern.
Nancy showed her knitting class her pink variegated sweater, and washed wool from a Jacob's sheep* and others.
BookSaver bought painter's canvas after learning it can back cotton fabrics for aprons. She avoided some purchases!
Twins' Mom has been scheduling some stamping time and making greeting cards.
Harriet started on a new wall-hanging and bought a see-through ruler.

* Just had to look this up! Here are some Jacob's sheep. Like Nancy said, both black and white in the same fleece. Did NOT know this breed.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2016

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:21 pm

Working on green and white hot pads this month. Also a colorful stash buster crochet triangle shaped prayer shawl is so much fun to do I cannot put it down!

Traded for a weaving bench for my floor loom. I need to get a table moved upstairs for my table loom. Gearing up for some weaving. Excited about that!
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:45 pm

Nancy you have had so much enjoyment from your creativity lately!

Dd17 and I went to fabric store for her embroidery projects. The teacher had had them watercolor a freeform painting, trying NOT to include specific images. Then at the next class they tried to "see" images in the dried painting. Somehow, teacher transferred the paintings to cloth without hurting the original. Now they are to embroider and embellish these cloth artworks, bringing out the images they think they see.

She couldn't bring the artwork home, so she pulled up a photo of it on her phone. We chose floss colors by arranging them around the phone, lying on a table.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:01 am

I have been having fun crocheting a triangular shaped shawl it is about 3/4 the ths of the way done now turning out well also. A great stash buster
project.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:46 pm

This is not my creation, but I am proud of it. DD14 did this animal for a science project. It is a combination of attributes from a monkey, tiger, lion, and Siberian husky. She freehand crocheted it. (In other words - no pattern used).

Science Project.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:56 pm

This is my work: the baby shower item for CareNet crisis pregnancy center. Works for boy or girl.
The sweater used a free Lion Brand pattern:
sweater.jpg

The hat I created myself:
(The colors don't look the same in this picture, but it is the same yarn. The other pictures give a better idea of color.)
hat.jpg

I was hoping to have enough left for a scarf or neckwarmer. I did not, so we have a burp rag:
burp rag.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:57 pm

And here it is wrapped up in a nice fancy package:
package.jpg

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:58 am

I have completed all but one of the sage green dish clothes this other one will be my take along project for today's meeting.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:56 pm

Elizabeth, those photos are fun. The stuffed animal is interesting, but also cute in itself. Dd will cherish that memory someday. Great job on the gift for someone's baby.

Nancy, enjoy the take-along project.

Dd17 has extensive hand embroidery to accomplish by Wed. The problem with having a well-educated Art teacher who accepts the assignment to teach a class in Craft and Design is that the teacher may not have the experience to understand how extensive her own assignments are. She has chosen a stitching discipline that is time intensive, and assigned an elaborate, large project, when she evidently had no idea that this is the type of project an experienced person would plan to work on for months.

This is to be a sampler of varied hand-embroidery techniques but based on a watercolor image, finishing about 14x14 size (huge for an embroidery piece). And she wants the whole space filled with stitching - no open areas and no machine work. The only saving grace is that she did say she'd allow some space to be filled with applique. So far, none of the students have taken advantage of this idea (she didn't teach it at all), so I'm letting dd look through my fabrics in case she could use one or two, and I can certainly teach her how to fill in with some fabric.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:20 pm

I worked on getting some weaving getting the reed threaded .

Return to “The Creative Home”