Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2016

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2016

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:48 pm

During March we were humming with creativity!

Elizabeth made a sweater and hat set for CareNet crisis pregnancy center baby shower.
Elizabeth's dd freehand-crocheted a fantastic animal for science project at school.
Nancy has been processing grey Romney cross long wool fleece to spin, and finished dishcloths, too.
Cathy has organized 6 cross-stitch projects with their floss, etc., and has a new craft space.
BookSaver attended a sewing event and attended the next day, too, in spite of car trouble! Kudos!
Harriet changed the neckline of a top for Easter, and continues to do 25th-of-month Christmas crafts.
Harriet's dd tugged and pulled embroidery needles through tough fabric for a school project!

What is the creative direction you want to go for April?
Is it specifically for a gift or decor piece?
Or are you learning your art and honing skills?

Is there something you can do in April to declutter or organize your creative containers/space?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2016

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:35 am

I got the table loom warped and have white dish cloth type cotton for weft it is looking great. Also some dish cloths too. I am designing a hat of white hand spun merino wool starting withe a round top knit like the dish cliths with out the points, then will have to figure out the rest after this part is done.
I plyed up the other yarn so the baskets are out of the living room yea, for now any way. It is nearly time to think gardening.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:16 pm

Finished with the 3-day sewing day camp.

1) Blue knit top for oldest DSis: almost completed. I need to finish the inside seam around the neck so it looks neater, and press the hem.

2) Gray & white print top for myself which I had thought was finished before: I wore it 2 or 3 times but decided that I didn't think the shape of the neckline was very flattering on me. I took the band off and re-cut the neck shape to a V. That meant it needed a longer band to finish the neckline. I had enough fabric scrap to cut that, and was able to sew it on "good enough." It's better than it was, I'm satisfied with that.

3) Aqua & black cheetah print knit top for myself: Cut out. The fabric is so stretchy that I couldn't fold it to cut the pattern pieces. I had to smooth out the fabric in a single layer and cut the front, back, and sleeve pieces 1 at a time.

4) The room was cold enough today that I took the scrap length left over after I cut out the aqua print top and made a long scarf to wind around my neck.

5) Complicated bias-drape floral top for myself: Perpetual unfinished project from 2 or 3 other sewing camps. There was always some reason why I worked on it but got to a point where I couldn't do any more. This time I managed to cut out the neck shape, finish the sides, and sew the sleeves. Then I tried it on to check the fit. I'm glad I did that. I'll need to tweak the neckline a tiny bit so it will be easier to pull over my head. The sleeves are much too long but I'll have to finish the neck and try it on again before I decide how short to cut them. Then it will need to be hemmed and it will finally be done.

6) Wallet: Looked at the pattern but ran out of time to do anything else.
7) Apron: Ditto.

The pot luck food was wonderful. The person who organized the menu did a great job, and there are good cooks in the group.

Many different personalities, but a minimum of drama this time.

My biggest disappointment in the event was that the person with the key wanted to quit early every night. It wasn't worth fighting her about it, but IMO when people paid for an event we can't force them to leave early and then complain when they don't want to pay to attend the next time. I will not be surprised to hear negative feedback from attendees who had hoped to sew as long as was advertised on the registration form. I'm the group's treasurer so I'm the one they will complain to.

Nevertheless, I had a good time and am very happy with how much progress I was able to make with my projects.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Finished up tbe 2nd hat of hand spun have another of non handspun nearly half done working on a non handspun one I am tweaking a pattern now.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:19 pm

Sounds like plenty of success, BookSaver. Something for your sister, two tops farther along for you plus a better neckline on another. About being asked to leave early - if it were me, I would probably feel uncomfortable about that, yes. Not just the money, but a person has to budget time for things like this, too, and it would feel like a loss of a little of both.

Nancy, I hope you really like how your new design turned out for the hat. Lots of fun in tweaking patterns the way we want them.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:09 am

Reminded dfirstmil today of all her decades of lovely embroidery. She says dd17 should come over for a lesson :D and also to get all her excess embroidery supplies she doesn't want. Dd is VERY interested. I really have hidden my light under a bushel during all this, because I think my own embroidery used to be super pretty. But now has not been the time to brag, to tell you the truth - dd's had a lousy experience and dfirstmil can offer her a memorable set of lessons and heart-to-heart that will mean a lot. We can't do it for a few weeks anyway.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:19 am

Yep hats turned out great!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:59 pm

I finished the project on the table loom Mon. To take to yarn club mtg. I was very pleased with the results. :mrgreen: The stool I got for the table loom worked great!

I'm currently working on getting the floor loom in the basement warped. I am excited about having a bench for the floor loom to use.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:39 pm

I'm a little jealous Nancy and BookSaver ;) , of your chances to show groups of like-minded creative folks your work, at club or other sessions. But I'm very introverted anyway, so might not enjoy other things about attending.

The museum time yesterday was so inspiring. I really studied the collage exhibit and I think I see a tip - by far the most compelling collages were the ones that had a face somewhere in them. Sometimes the face wasn't a person - perhaps a statue with face, or an animal whose face could be seen - but every time there was use of a facial image you had somewhere to rest the eye in viewing the art, plus you felt emotion from the art, rather than just thinking it was balanced or interesting.

I think this is like my quilt sampler theory. :D (yes, I have one!) If there is at least one quilt block that represents a real thing, rather than just many patterns for the sampler blocks, people will admire the quilt much longer and identify with it. You have to give a place for the viewer's eye to rest. My favorites to view in a sampler have been containers like teapots, watering cans. But also house blocks are great of course. Not that these dominate at all - just a few among all the different blocks will give some personality.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:02 pm

I am not happy with the next hat I am working up it is the type of wool. Sigh - oh well ut is what it us the other is gone. Not sure if I will finish it or not it would be ojay for weaving.

I have the reed and heddles threaded on both looms. Considering at tunic or poncho of various weavings thst have a bit of green in the warp and wool weft. Time will tell.

Return to “The Creative Home”