Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2016

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2016

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:12 pm

I have ordered a threading hook so I have one for the floor loom now. Also half pound of washed fleece to card and spin. :mrgreen:

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:52 pm

Nancy, I thought of you when I was trying to look up the kind of bird we have on the porch. There was a remark from a lady who dyes mohair wool and hangs it outside to dry on her porch. Part of it would be gone later and she would get upset. But one day she found a bird's nest with her dyed wool used for the inside, LOL.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:48 pm

LOL! Harriet. Put out ends I cut off from a warp for birds to use only they ignored it.

I have the granny squares with third round on it now to lay it out for assembly.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:02 pm

Ripped out a scarf to day that was not working out. Oh well I learned for it so not a total waste. I need to do a vinegar rinse on some wool that I was working with last mo.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:31 pm

Dfirstmil97 used her walker basket to bring out her wonderful collection of skeins of floss for embroidery to show dd. Also a bit of regular cloth (not Aida this time, although she has done a lot of cross stitch) and needles. They had an enjoyable time with a mini-lesson.

I was surprised that she had not continued with the plan she had, decades ago, of transferring skeins as she bought them to the "thread cards" you wrap floss around. (Kind of like the Kon Mari method of storing on end, when these are beside each other like little books, you can see all the colors you have more easily, and maybe avoid tangling.) But she said that just never worked out for her, and she stuck with the skeins, intact, as best she could. I noticed she had no variegated. She doesn't enjoy that the way that dd has. She likes to know exactly what color she's placing.

She showed dd a hand towel project on which she had embroidered what I would call an elaborate oval floral done mostly in the daisy stitch, but the stitches were so small that it didn't seem like the daisy stitch at all. I nearly had to put my nose on it to realize it was simple stitches.

When dd gets good at this and has some pieces she likes, I'll finally pull out my shadow applique embroidery and let her see it, because once upon a time I had gotten really good. I probably should frame it but don't know how you'd do that with the layers Have to think about it.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:21 pm

Got wool that I carded up yesterday spun up and ready to ply into yarn and I plyed it this morning. :mrgreen:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:57 pm

The 3rd time is a charm on the restart of the scarf and it is going well now so I am happy to have another desogn /pattern learned! Yippie.

Return to “The Creative Home”