Art, Craft and Needlework June 2016

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework June 2016

Postby Harriet » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Did you know that when you work on your creative project, you get he benefit of "Movement and Tangible Results"? This is something neuroscientists now believe we need, and often don't get in our push-button world. Neuroscientist Kelly Lambert, psychology chair at Randolph Macon College, says that making something creatively (she mentions a knit scarf) is the kind of physical activity that promotes what is called "cross-brain talking between executive-planning centers and those governing motion". :shock: (It means we get new brain cells that Lambert calls "heartier".)

"The irony is that some of these hobbies sound so simplistic," says Lambert. "Yet the neurochemical chain of events they trigger is so much more sophisticated and involved. It's like taking mental-health vitamins, building up resilience -- our ability to bounce back from hardship -- by reminding our brains that we can have some impact on the world around us."

What are you impacting in June, that your hearty brain cells will be talking about?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework June 2016

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:28 pm

I finished a knit hat this past week.

Plus I am working on getting some dark chocolate colored wool spun up apx. 1/5th of it and ready to ply before weaving it.

I have been excited about the NWSRA North West Regional Spinning Assoc.) conference this week.

I am also contamplating a purchase of a nice set of pens have a coupon to use but it is not in effect yet.

Got a journal I wanted today yea!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:54 am

I put the biege colored wool to pick and card on the deck makes it easier if it is warm! I got a bag sewn up one side has noah's ark print with some sheep on it and the other side is solid forest green. I up-cycled this 25 cent used item to a wool bag slightly shorter that a pillow case!

Also found 2 cones of blue yarn to use for weaving at the the thrift shop yesterday score! :mrgreen:

Got some wool plyed. One bobbin spun up of med. Colored cocoa colored brown wool I got at conference this weekend. There is anotner fiber event father's day weekend. Might go to that one also. :mrgreen:

I got a used Christmas issus of a crochet mag. lots of insp. For Christmas in July planning. 5 have fiber to prep and spin and weave.

Got some dish cloth cotten in rain bow colors to knit up at knitting group and guild mtgs.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:36 pm

Nancy, what a joy to get to go to the conference and especially to find exciting colors you wouldn't ordinarily see. I hope you have a ball with the cocoa color wool.

My pressed flowers made into bookmarks for dd17's graduation present were a big hit. She received them at the restaurant with a few other gifts from friends and family.

I'm hoping you may be able to read the plant names I typed/copied in script on the back and can understand the fronts better that way. Can ya'll read that?

BookmarksGradsmall.jpg

Above left, individual Crepe Myrtle petals and wild foliage gathered from her high school's grounds, arranged into an artsy "plant" image, on two beige/tan papers

Above right, a grouping of her favorite tree and flower blooms from around our house and her grandmother's, on two lavender/purple papers

BookmarksSchoolPainting.jpg

Above, the back of the school bookmark. The picture is a reduced copy of one of the school, from the internet.

BookmarksGradsmallWords.jpg

Above, the back of the favorite flowers bookmark with flowers named from the tiniest at the top, down.

also has my new favorite bookmark poem to encourage individual/personal reading:

If you only read the books
that everyone else is reading,
you can only think what
everyone else is thinking.
-Haruki Murakami
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:31 pm

Harriet lovely bookmarks!
I have several balls of yarn now from one bag of the wool I baught. I got some other wool some in trade for miss matched spinning wheel parts I am so happy! Working up some white now.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:32 am

Harriet ---- the bookmarks are so pretty; truly an heirloom treasure for dd!
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:11 pm

Have finished making yarn of the fawn colored shetland roving. White targee is spun & ready to ply. Finished a waving this weekend.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:15 pm

Harriet - what a treasured gift for your DD! I suspect that gift will be used for decades and bring back warm memories each time it is used.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 am

What a gorgeous heirloom and a lasting one for dd, Harriet. I am sure she was overjoyed and pleased to receive such mementos.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:10 am

I have spun up the cocoa colored wool and it is ready to ply. I am nearly done spinning this bag of roving up.

I have 8 rows left to do on current dish cloth knitting project.

Thinking of weaving up old towels after I cut em into strips.

Return to “The Creative Home”