Art, Craft and Needlework, August 2016

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, August 2016

Postby Harriet » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:52 pm

It's August and in my area is sweltering. A good time to think about indoor activity like sewing or making gifts. It's just the TIME that needs to be caught and pinned down, for me.

How do you pin down the time for your creativity?

Check out last month's thread for BookSaver's photos, btw.

In July,
Nancy was knitting a cape from her own handspun yarn
BookSaver led a project to make 211 mats and donate them for shelter cats
Twins' Mom gave an :idea: of ribbon to identify the good fabric scissors
ellyphant found cross-stitch and embroidery projects & also decluttered some
Harmony came in to encourage and say she has two old UFO projects
Harriet kept her mouth shut about how many UFO projects she has

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, August 2016

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:05 am

Spiff up the creativity room and the sewing zone is on my radar as well as doing some sketching. People are getting on my nerves not famiky so much but other yeahoos. :roll:

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:58 pm

A couple of dd's drawings, which I have called "caricatures", but I think I'm using the wrong word. They are somewhat exaggerated and cheerful, but not like distorting features or anything. This fellow is in another country and for that matter is showing these to everyone who will look, so I don't think I'm out of line posting.

CaricatureSmall2016.jpg

CaricatureFaceSmaller2016.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:49 pm

Today got some co-ordinating fabrics of bikes and Effle tower for bags aprons or other projects. Only could find fabric quarters but got a nice selection. Also drying a chami cloth for diff. project.

Harriet love dd's art!

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:55 am

Harriet ~ Those drawings are terrific.
UFOs ... I agree, let's not start counting. ;)
Nancy ~ You are always inspiring me with your dedication to make creativity a priority.

I was asked to teach a part of the educational program at Saturday's sewing group meeting, and the topic was special sewing machine feet. Others in the group signed up to show a ruffler, high-low (?), 1/4" seam guide, and cording foot. I wanted to see their demonstrations but didn't have the opportunity since I was doing mine.

I decided to show what Viking brand calls the Edge-Joining Foot. It has a flange/guide on the bottom of the foot running down the middle.
http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/en-US/Ac ... ining-Foot
I don't remember ever using it for joining. I do use it a lot, though, and it's one of my favorite gadgets. I use it for topstitching, edgestitching, stitch in the ditch, and when I worked in the theater costuming department I used it for stitching dozens of tiny rolled hems.

Friday night I sat at my machine and sewed teaching samples while I watched a movie. That was something different, having to analyze and break down each step. I didn't have to get too basic, though, since the group members have all been sewing for many years. Mostly I wanted to show how versatile that 1 foot is, rather than having a specific foot for each of those tasks.

Saturday morning I hauled my machine to the meeting and set it up in case anyone wanted me to show a specific step, but didn't need it since I had made so many samples.

Other than not being able to see the other demonstrations, it was a fun meeting. The members split up into small groups to walk around the room for the demos, which gave me the opportunity to chat with everyone as they came to my table.

Next up for creativity will be the library group's Minions party, and then it will be time to figure out what to make my coworkers for Christmas gifts.

Return to “The Creative Home”