Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2016

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2016

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:45 pm

My needle threader broke I was able to use twist tie wire and finish tieing that comforter. I finished a hot pad and star shaped dish cloth got more yarn in a color I liked.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:42 pm

Booksaver, that is a cute pattern, would like to try it some time.

I am making a gift. We had a fabric tv remote holder that hangs on the Master headboard. If one person leaves the tv on and puts the remote on their end table, the other person can't change the station or shut it off. So I'd made a holder out of fabric layers with stiffener, a bit of lace on the front and a way to tie it on to the headboard. It got old and DH had messed with the ribbon tie because it didn't also tie at the bottom... :roll: so one day I just threw it out.

I am making one out of plastic canvas. I've never done that kind of craft before, thinking that stuff looks a little old-fashioned... and people who do that craft usually have way too much of it in their house. So I am learning, by following a hand-made recipe box that my dmil made... and so far I have the front and the back done. Not perfect, but I started with the back so my more experienced effort would be the front. I am getting better.

Have the sides cut out. I have cording to weave into the top and bottom to tie it with.

I wish I lived closer to Sunny. She does beautiful work and I still have the little round box and the little square one she made me. She could tell me how to make the back look as good as the front!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:04 am

I need to go through my art pens and supplies, I was looking for some water color paper found a large set of nice colored pens I forgot I had! Fun! Pens are so much more fun to consider buying. No water color paper however.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:54 pm

What color is the remote holder, Harmony? Will it match something?

That's great good luck finding some extra supplies, Nancy.

Today I affixed the flower-name info on the back of 5 pressed-flower bookmarks, ready to laminate. 2 with a quote about reading as well, and 3 with just an oval shape in a contrasting color with the flower names. Hardest thing was making an oval template, but I'm glad I went to the trouble - looks neat.

No, I take it back. Hardest thing is that I am supposed to do a "trial run" through the little laminator of some that are not as important to me, so that if those are ruined I can catch a problem before any I care about get messed up. But it's likely those on the first sheet will come out fine, too. Problem: I'm such a perfectionist I can't bear to make any of those without making them look nice, too! I figure they will be just as indestructible and you KNOW that I'm not going to throw them away if they are okay to use. So even they need to look good! Aaaauuugghh!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:20 pm

Got sone kids crayola brush Penn they are way fun! Also got water color paper, and some other markers for rubber stamping and other stuff. With my bday $. Still have Joanhs gift card and want to get a water color note book. I made up some dividers to paint on for my planner with the water color paper it is like card stock. :mrgreen:

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:42 am

I love to get bookmarks. I've had a few greeting cards that have the bookmark attached to the front side, perforated, and I appreciate those too.

But I've quit giving books as presents. Nobody reads any more, and if they do it's all electronics. I miss my books, I haven't had time for one for months now.

Got that project done and it was an eye opener. Pointed out very vividly why I'm not doing anything creative these days and why I can't get any sewing of any kind done, even mending. I just don't have the time. That holder I made took way too much time, just hours and hours of sitting, stitching as fast as I could to get it done, then running around like a chicken trying to clean up the messy house. Do messes multiply while we're off being creative?

I picked a really pretty deep teal-ish blue (only way to describe it) and I didn't want a fuzzy yarn that would wear and get pilly or be hard to clean, so I got a small cone of a really shiny crochet string. Seemed like a good idea when I bought it, but it was 3-ply twisted string-like thing that untwisted easily, was impossible to get into the needle, and mostly impossible to work with. The end product is nice, but I don't think I'd ever attempt it again.

Interesting, that being nylon I thought a quick pass through a lighter would seal the end from fraying, but no, that didn't work either. And my bottle of fray check had some at the bottom but there was no getting that out . It's done and wrapped up. I hope he appreciates it.

Return to “The Creative Home”