Art, Craft and Needlework, February 2017

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:44 pm

What are you looking forward to in February?

Thanks to Nancy for giving us tips in the last thread for how she manages to give handmade gifts by year's end.

Harmony, so glad to hear that your project came out well.

BookSaver
, hope the knitting loom is still a lot of fun. I'd think that children, especially, still need the toboggans/hats to be made available through the later part of winter. Long winters mean lots more time to forget your cap somewhere.

Harmony says her UFOs are growing. Yep. I can see how that happens.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:25 pm

I am spinning up a batch of wool it's my Jan. - Feb. Project I am done with last of it and it is plyed into yarn now. Yea me for progress! Warping up my loom is next.

I saw on "Sewing With Nancy" on PBS the goal of making up a million pillow cases some for kids in crisis to put belongings in instead of black trash bags. Other for kids in the hosp. With fun youthful bright patterns, some for veterans made of patriotic prints.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:08 am, edited 4 times in total.

Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, February 2017

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:52 pm

I made 3 more pressed-flower bookmarks. One in a method I'd done before - bordered by having a larger paper behind a smaller, different colored one. And two in a new way, using printed shapes of bookmark shapes for bordering.

The two printed-border ones, in red, have 4-petaled periwinkle and lamb's cress. They are for ddil's birthday. The other, in lavender, is blooms of Denim variety of violas. Dd37 will get that one when she next visits.

The photo is not so great. My own phone is just not the camera dd's phone is.

BookmarksJanuary2017small.jpg

I learned that the stems of the lamb's cress, even though they don't seem all that thick, really make a difference in getting the laminating to take well. It's just much better to use very flat foliage and blooms. Makes me think some of my next ones, with thicker parts, might not do well. We'll see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:52 pm

I made a puppet got the 2nd one done this week. :mrgreen:
Got some quilt squares at the thrift shop looking forward to working on these. With my new iron.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:41 pm

Harriet ~ The bookmarks are very pretty.

I'm still knitting with round looms.

At the end of last month, my coworker and I offered another free class at the library for making hats with the looms. 8 or 10 people told us they were going to come, but none of them showed up for the class. We had 1 young boy who wanted to learn that day, and I've heard that he's been back to the library since and showed the hat he made on his own loom.

I've made 2 hats on the extra-large loom in a mustard color. Not my color choice, it was yarn from DMIL's house that was a good name brand but I couldn't figure out what else to make with it. Anyway, at least it made warm hats. I gave those 2 large hats to a patron who volunteers twice a week at a local veteran's center.

I borrowed a small round loom and have made 4 sets of wrist warmers for myself for days when I'm sitting to do lots of desk work. DH wanted to try a set so I made another set for him. One of the sets for myself was a different type of yarn which turned out too large for my wrists, so I wear those on my ankles on really cold days.

I need to return the small loom to the library tomorrow, so today I started a purple hat on the XL loom that I own. I'm trying a spiral pattern I saw in a you tube video. (I love YT videos!)

Sewing: I've set up another sew-in to make cat mats on Saturday 2/25 at the library. 3 friends have said they will bring their machines, and 2 others said maybe. My car trunk is full of fleece fabric that I need to cut before then.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:46 pm

Great bookmarks!

My brain hurts from trying to put patterns together on quilt squares. Lol!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:26 pm

Beautiful bookmarks, Harriet! Almost too pretty to use. How do they hold up and does DD use hers?

I have worked on one OMM project here. Long while ago I'd picked up a packet of those magnetic "catches" for purses to put on my latest purse. It is a small size quilted tote with outside and inside pockets. I carry some heavy keys inside and found that the outside pockets (both sides) were hanging open a lot. Today I tackled that project.

My old purse which was vinyl and wearing out (cracking of the handles) also had these magnetic catches and I thought I'd look at them first to see how to do it. Got the bright idea to cut those out and use them instead of the new ones if I could. So I managed to get that done and installed in my purse, 1 set each side, which is 4 pieces. Not sure how creative this project is, but it was more complicated than I'd figured. Slits cut into the material for the prongs, etc., and I had no sewing to do but had 2 sizes of scissors, screwdriver, hammer, razor blades, cutting board all out to use.

Turned out well and I'm pleased. I cut off the zipper to reuse somewhere and buckle loops (metal) from old purse and pieces of very sturdy vinyl to keep for later. I did use pieces of that in back of the magnets for more secure backing.

And 1 project done. Sat. trip to Joanne's was to get fleece for a blanket for my bed, to put 2 pieces together and machine quilt together. Made a throw like that once and it's held up very well and is just the right warmth, but I want to make one full bed size like a quilt would be and use for bedspread. So, 1 done, another on the list!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Okay I have a plan now. I will focus on the blue blocks first this will help me to break the tasks down in to more managable segments so it is not so overwhelming.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:22 pm

Nancy, I hope you have great enjoyment from the blocks and they turn out great.

Those magnetic catches are interesting to me, Harmony. Glad to hear it did work out well. It seems to me they take a tote/purse to another level of use-ability.

I think dd37 was pleased with her bookmark.

Laminated bookmarks are very sturdy and I believe will last a long time. In the photo of the previous ones that I photographed outdoors, you could see the outer edges better. I leave 1/4-inch of the clear lamination all around the edges and that holds together well. I believe it is all but waterproof. Maybe at the paper-punched hole for the tassel some moisture could get in, but that would be the only place. The only other possibility of a problem I see is if the color of the flowers and leaves would fade. In a book, they wouldn't get light, but of course every one isn't in a book all the time.

The worst "enemy" the craft has here in my house is that the cloth bookmarks I've made were just as fun and just as well received as gifts. (smile) But then, they are definitely not waterproof or stain-proof at all.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:08 pm

I have progressed from blue blocks to green are done and next to biege and brown solids are cut out. I just need to do a few more squares to have half of this one done. It is amazing to me that one block a day M - F can be enough for a quilt top. :mrgreen: It is going faster than I thought it would.

I am also surprised the the solid colors white biege tan red green lt blue that will work in the project that I have. Did pink, yellow, orange and brown blocks too! 75% of the way done with block assembly now I think.

Finished up another puppet this morning. Got three more bags seamed up ready for draw strings. Sewing day is a perfect way to spend a cold dreary Feb. Day. KidN had fun trying to find matches of blocks for me.

Return to “The Creative Home”