Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2017

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2017

Postby Harriet » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:28 pm

Wonderful hands-on creativity last month!

Harmony learned how and installed a magnetic purse closure, plus she bought fleece to make a bedspread.
BookSaver set up a volunteer day, and 4 workers sewed pet mats for donation, plus she tried a spiral hat pattern.
Nancy is sewing a quilt as she thinks of grandchild for dorm room, and has made puppets, too.
Harriet made 3 new bookmarks and gave them as gifts. Helped dd18 get portfolio photos for college.
Elizabeth completed a costume for dance class and started her "sewing room declutter and cleanup".
Sunny says, "I've been glancing at my yarn basket longingly."

What's been happening in YOUR creative mind these days? :)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2017

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:21 am

I am to the last 8 blocks on the quilts for our grand daughters this year and one next year. So I am getting the one for the 2nd drandaughter ready as well. :mrgreen:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Last 8 blocks are done now yea!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:24 pm

Forgot to get the sheet for quilt back. It is snowing so moving on to rock painting. Rocks have been washed and are drying on the rug by the sink. We have black spray paint and paint pens! Getting inspired thinking words like hope, believe, dream, faith, love, imagine going on these maybe for my garden! Maybe even herbs mint sage parsley etc.

I have 2 puppets ready for eyes I will crochet them on at our meeting if they are not done by then. I did not get to the meeting but got eyes done.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:43 am

Cat Mat project: Last Saturday at the library there were 4 of us who sewed 156 little fleece mats. (I think I transposed the numbers in PWYC but I found my original notation in my calendar yesterday.)

One of the volunteers did not clip any of her threads and missed a few spots in the stitching, so I have to go back through and do some quality control.

I had cut 190 mats before the group sewing day. Last night I cut the rest of the fabric. If I counted correctly, I cut another 120 mats last night.

I'm going to sew the rest of these 150+ myself because trying to get a group together when the library space is available was too much effort this time. The animal shelters won't need these mats for several months, but I can't keep carrying them in my car trunk much longer.

I have a 3-day sewing camp coming up starting March 31st. If I haven't finished these cat mats by then, I'll take them to camp and do them there.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:32 pm

BookSaver, that is such a kind and good project, and your group will never know how much fear or discomfort or confusion they may be soothing for the animals. Great job. I kinda hope you do get finished, or close, before sewing camp so you can enjoy more variety there.

Nancy the black paint with words sounds like a very striking look. I know you are having fun with that. Garden surprises for anyone who looks around.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Dd's photo portfolio was finally whittled down to 10 submissions - hard to do. We had spent hours outdoors in cloudy weather taking photos of the 3-dimensional pieces against a sheet that kept fluttering, and the flat pieces against an easel. I was panicked over the ceramics, but it was only the sketchbooks that kept catching the wind and falling, thank goodness.

Needed to have a few each of several types over the length of an academic year. She had everyone who advised her to use different color mini post-it notes to mark choices, and went with those that got the most post-it "votes". She let HRH and I use blue. Other advisers were from school: those who ought to know what would catch the professors' attention. Some they didn't choose were ones I thought were so good. But maybe those were the type professors see over and over. I'd say some chosen were "think pieces", as in, you'd have to think to yourself, "is this art?" ;) Who knows.

Here are the ones we picked that made the cut. One caricature who reminds us of one of the grandsons as he grows up, a couple sketches, and my favorite ceramic. The titles are my own, lol. She titles nothing. She tells me it's embarrassing for a person's mother to give names to their art.

GQ small 2017.jpg

He's so GQ.

Jar small 2017.jpg

Careful when you reach in.

Boy small 2017.jpg

Car keys - containing the excitement.

Vogue small 2017.jpg

Vogue woman takes a selfie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:46 pm

Wow. Just Wow. Note the little adams apple on the key boy. I don't know what I think about the first man, it just took my breath away, can't think what I think about him, but he begs me to go back and look again and again. Almost scary?

Booksaver, how long do they use those cat pads? I hope they wash and reuse after all your work.

I've seen those stones in places to buy.

I got edges of fabric cut and squared. 3 seams done so far and pressed. I am trying to decide how to do the border and if I have enough fabric for it. Every morning now when I wake up and I am chilly I am annoyed with myself that I haven't gotten this done yet. It is too warm for the down blanket but too cold for just the throw which is too short to really snuggle well in. I really need this blanket!

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:45 am

Wow. Just Wow.
That's my reaction, too! So much talent in 1 young woman.

Harmony ~ The cat mats will be laundered and reused many times by the animal shelter.

Project update: Tuesday night I went through the bags of cat mats to inspect and snip threads. There are 10 mats that need small repairs, but I'll be able to do those easily, probably this weekend. Saving all the rest to take to sewing camp wouldn't bother me as far as the time & attention needed -- I'm sure I'd be able to knock them out on the first day, even with all the set up and interruptions. However, they are taking up a LOT of space in 6 tall kitchen size white trash bags stuffed totally full. I think I'll push to do them this next week just to get back the room.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:58 pm

Awesome art!

I am painting hiding rocks w shamrocks in lime green the only green they had, and front of some rocks green with shamrocks drawn on. Others are brown or white w encouraging words on em glitter glue is making this so much more fun! :mrgreen:

Return to “The Creative Home”