Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2017

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2017

Postby Harriet » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:47 am

It's the quarter-mark of the year for 2017!

Have you enjoyed some creativity, or have BIG PLANS for starting soon? :)

In March, Harmony worked on her new blanket :D pondering the border now

Check out photos Harriet posted in last month thread after the big photo day of work for dd's portfolio

Extra happy for BookSaver and Nancy, both participating in community efforts! !

(Nancy painting and BookSaver sewing cat mats for shelters)

They had a blip on the news about the hide n seek rocks, 10,000 members in the group now here! - Nancy on Friday

\

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2017

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:12 pm

I am now painting themed rock for community events co. Fair and flower festival this mo. Rockers are encouraged to take a bag to pick up trash when out and about it helps! My cotton candy painted one turned out well. Still leaning about the different paints & paint pens & sealers.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:40 pm

I haven't had a sewing student in years. Now a just-turned-20-year-old guy! Not who I'd have expected, but dd18's young man is almost not company any more, after more than 2 years knocking on our door, nervous as can be, lol.

Took advantage of the Jo Ann recent coupons for his assigned sewing project. I was disappointed in how the coupons are sort of "rigged" so that you can't use them in the ways you think. (in the fine print, the coupon for notions excludes so much he wasn't able to use it at all.) He did get to use one.

Jo Ann is literally the only game in town any more, and for me, that still means driving more than 4 towns away. Tiring. H ancocks is gone. The young man says he studied the online code and notations on the explanation of that, which tells H may be back (?), and noticed they had used a Michaels form to announce it. Sure enough, he found out it's not in bankruptcy court any more - Michaels bought it from the court. I didn't know that.

Anyway, his 15-person (13 men, 2 women, only one man of whom knows how to sew) Digital Machining Design class has a new assistant teacher who is excited about the embroidery machines the univ owns (usually the class doesn't work with fabric). The main professor has allowed her to assign the students to personally make a garment that could actually be worn, and would include original embroidery the student programs into the computerized machine and gets it to create. Machines can only take 5"x7" or smaller to embroider.

He decided on a plain black denim vest with appliqued black patches with white embroidery. McCalls pattern 6228 shows one vest view without buttons that is bound around the edges rather than lined (so this in all black denim and binding), and he can learn to make that one quickly, we think.

We cut out the pattern pieces and studied what he'll need to do - that's about as much time as we had yesterday after the store. Back at school, he'll turn his attention to getting the embroidery down onto the thinnest black felt we could find. Hope I can get him through the rest of it quickly when he comes next. I'll wash the fabric for him and dry it - that's all he wants me to do without him. Whether this looks good or bad when it's finished, he's got to look the prof in the eye and say he did it himself, and be able to talk through the steps.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:33 pm

I got the sealant on this last batch of rocks glad dgd enjoys hunting for them.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:33 pm

Sewing lesson with the young man was way fun for me. I haven't had a sewing student in so long - that was a joy. Tiring for both of us over an 8-hour day. On my feet for a lot of that, either helping him cut/mark or looking over his shoulder at the machine. Slept like a log last night.

I knew it would take many hours to construct a truly finished garment even if it was a vest only, especially since there was much design work following the construction, too. Thankfully, he was prepared for me to say that, and pretty much blocked out his whole day. To his credit, he did some of the work while my grandchildren were underfoot, and also had to go throw a ball outdoors a while, but kept a smile. We took photos to document, per instructions of professor, who is skeptical about students really sewing their own garments.

His design is a humorous take on a vest covering a shirt like bones cover internal organs. We think it would work for a costume, too.

Vest appliques are embroidery he created with the machines at college out of metallic white thread onto black felt.

Teeshirt applique is also computer generated at school - a funny cartoon-ish sketch he drew, that we ironed on here.

I believe I'm most proud of something that wouldn't photograph in all black - French seams on inside of vest keep the denim from even a single thread of fraying showing, inside or out. (Vest will be held open to view the "Organs" image when he proves he can wear it - everyone has to model their own, or have a model present.) I began to realize this was important, when we washed the denim - the cut edges frayed badly.

pinning the darts

Vest2017darts.jpg

sewing

Vest2017sewing.jpg

"Bones" design vest from rear

Vest2017.jpg

"Bones" design vest and "Organs" design teeshirt from front

Vest2017Tee.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:13 am

I love it!
And I might add, the model is a handsome young man. Obviously raised right too -- a thank you note AND flowers! He may be a keeper...
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Harriet Thanks for the photos!

Got busted trying to hide rocks at dson's place. Did hide grad rocks for dgds grad party in the garage before she got there. Had a nice chat with them.

Went to the fishing hole found painted rocks replaced em with some I painted. Rehid the others at a diff park. I hid two other at the other pond.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:06 am

Nancy, which is your favorite of your painted rocks? Do the children have a different favorite?

Yes, lucylee, he's a nice respectful boy who thought dd was wonderful when other boys ignored her. Now she has really blossomed and gets attention, but doesn't care about anyone but him. I know - if they break up after all this time, it's going to be heartbreak.

Thrifty report - I got a "new" garment by cutting apart one of those 2-part tops. These are not really 2 pieces, but polyester draping jacket with a half-shell/tank underneath that's just attached at sides, sleeve fronts and shoulders. Some places call them "two-fer" tops, or "faux sets" or "waterfall" tops if the jacket fronts fall lower than the rest. I have several for church, and have often wondered if I could use the jacket part over something else if it wasn't attached. It did bother me that if I cut the half-shell away, I'd lose the original well-matched set.

This past weekend shopping with dd, I found a $5.00 solid light green shell. Back at home, I was surprised how good it looked with the color of a solid medium green jacket of one of the waterfall tops. That top was bought for Christmas, and looked it - it's "shell" is a dark print. It dawned on me only the sleeve really had to be cut loose - shoulder and side seams weren't in the way. I cut carefully on the shell's fabric right at the serged seams without touching the threads and really tried to get right in to the corners. Then I wore the jacket as if it's half-shell was just another layer of the back. (I had dd there to give honest opinion. She couldn't see any bulk or pattern from underneath.) Doesn't ravel since it's poly.

Ended up getting several compliments on my "new spring outfit". I'll wear it a few times until summer, then put it away for 6 months and still be able to break out my "matching Christmas set" again in December.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:51 am

Harriet thanks for asking. I seem to like a yellow back ground. I have kept one rock of a bird nest it has my name on it, on the dresser and a fish on the window sill in the kit h kept a sunset one.

This week it is fun working on more garden ones for the community garden open house next mo.

I am pleased with the horse head one I did this week, I am not a horse person however it is a big one.

I am considering a rock garden wher the bush was, cannot grow roses there till next year.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:56 pm

I am working on de cluttering the creativity room this month & next. I am doing the book case currently.

Today I dropped off one box of donations, and the painted rocks at the Community Garden.

Figured out how to paint chickens on rocks! If I did rock last yr. I could have save a ton on sketch books and sketch journals lol!

Return to “The Creative Home”