Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2017

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2017

Postby Harriet » Wed May 03, 2017 2:49 pm

Here are 10 ways crafting with friends may improve mind and brain wellness:

Mental challenge and problem solving
Social connection
Mindfulness
Development of hand-eye coordination, spatial awareness and fine motor dexterity
Learning and teaching
Focusing attention and thoughts on a task
Encouraging active creativity
Gives a sense of pride and achievement
Teaches patience and perseverance
Facilitates memory formation and retrieval

- Sarah McKay, PhD (neuroscience) Oxford

It's interesting to me that she wrote "with others" here in her heading for her list, since having others involved wasn't really part of the question or other parts of what she was saying. But I did want to quote her list exactly. I guess she couldn't have listed "social connection" or included "teaching" with "learning" otherwise, and perhaps those impress her a lot.

At any rate, this is all good news. :)

Do any of these 10 ideas from Dr. McKay spark an opinion or experience from us? I like the mention of fine motor dexterity, which I believe is SO true of hand-sewing, and of course I love her inclusion of memory retrieval. I want to keep my mind sharp.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2017

Postby Nancy » Wed May 03, 2017 8:15 pm

They forgot one stress reduction.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 25, 2017 9:01 pm

That is an important one, Nancy. I've been meaning to tell you that I saw you'd mentioned it.

dd18 is trying her hand at polymer sculpting for some reason - a chance notice of a youtube artist just caught her attention. She is spending some time with some very creative friends and they are "networking" I guess. She's getting opinions about how and where they post their creativity online. The young man got a 94 on his clothing project and I was slightly irate, since I thought it should be 100, asking what the criticism was :lol: . There was none - just the impression of the teacher, no particular criteria he didn't meet. If his project was not too ambitious, and that's all, then I'm happy - the worst thing he could have done would have been to try perfectionism with his first sewing.

I'm so sorry I can't get here to post much. Until I can clear my calendar out some and get some declutter done, too, I can't do the creative things I would like.

The visitation table of photos and letters from my late dear aunt's life included a sweet doll with a beautiful set of clothing she had knitted. I thought that was really thoughtful, to include that, because it was a happy part of her life and people should know how talented she was at knitting. It made the table of photos interesting and got people to go over and look.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri May 26, 2017 10:51 am

I am knitting up some more cotten yarn dish cloths this month.

Return to “The Creative Home”