Art, Craft and Needlework, June 2017

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, June 2017

Postby Harriet » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:43 am

What's inspiring you to creativity these days? Do you ever wonder what is inspiring to craft/hobby-thinking people in general right now?

According to the A-River store, which keeps track of such things as far as book-reading, Pen and Ink Drawing seems to be catching attention right now, and especially creative lettering. 2 books on the subject are occupying top spaces in their whole listing for general crafts. (This is bound to have something to do with the time of year - weddings have been on the horizon. But it's still interesting that Pen and Ink is compelling so many people.)

Checking out these types of lists might be interesting to you in your own favorite categories. If it's textiles, for instance, go to this page and look along the left side to see categories. You'll find what leathercrafters, knitters, crocheters, etc., are interested in (or at least what they like enough to purchase). Hmmm... Japanese knitting patterns and 3-dimensional embroidery. I did not know those were catching attention. I found it interesting that quilting and patchwork have separate categories - I know they should, I just didn't know that A-river knew it, lol. Someone who enjoys sewing clothing might be interested that the number one book in fashion crafting is actually about the closet. Huh - good thinking.

No matter what is exciting you about your creative side these days, let us know!

Had you thought ... ... if we agree with CEO's concept of NOT stressing during the holiday/Christmas season itself about crafting for it, and putting holiday projects aside by then (for instance, gifts), then this month of June finds us half-way through the year, between the memories of 2016 and the hopes and dreams we have for a creative 2017.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, June 2017

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:39 pm

On my art date got a book: Doodle art & lettering. With Joanne Sharpe & 2 skiens of yarn. A fat quarter to make a gift bag.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:00 pm

I have sewn up 4 fabric gift bags. They still need draw strings.
I have some new colors of yarn to use for crochet hot pads or knit dish clothes. I am loking forward to using my thread assortment.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:44 pm

Got ribbon for the bags the last 4 are done.
I seamed up another batch of 6 ready for draw strings.

I have more to cute out cure Micky Mouse fabric. For the next batch. Rain in the forecast for weeks end so I am sure I will be doing more.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Found a way to share these bags on the trading post I put in a nail to hang them up for folks to take. Figured out tags for em using my tag punch.
Was going to work on sewing up another batch but the light will not turn on cord has gone bad sigh so I will need to bring in a lamp and figure some thing else out.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:55 pm

Okay I have moved the cords and got the lamp in a good place got the sewing machine going and seamed up half & draw strings in the batch of bags in Micky Mouse print. One still needs a draw string I ran out of ribbon.Yea for progress.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:10 am

I got a book on lettering. I will get a primary journal for practicing next time I am down town.

And some lime green yarn for a dish cloth. Finished one up in off white color last evening.

Working up sone abc rocks for teaching kidos with.
Got a mini chalk board to use also.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:08 pm

Nancy, good job getting your creative space the way you want it. Lots of what you are doing sounds like fun. Lettering would be nice on so many projects.

I've been helping dd with baking of her polymer clay projects. She really needed parchment paper underneath - it makes a big difference. Tinfoil's super helpful as "tents" because she wants heat - not grilling! Nothing she does takes more than 20 minutes or so - maybe 25. She needs a different gloss/glaze. She does want the high gloss like the one she has, but clearer. I also told her having a "matte" finish one would be smart, because sometimes you don't want shine.

Some frustration for me not having sewing time lately. One of the nicest new tops I have for church, with pretty 3/4 length sleeves and a cute hem, is so simple - easy peasy to lay that out, make a pattern from it and sew another matching one or two. Has to wait!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:53 pm

And have been enjoying watching a few youtube tutorials on beads. Just thrifty paper ones. Some of dd's polymer pendants or larger bead-types would look best with spacing beads, I think, so this "old" craft came to mind. Some pretty colored papers arrived in the mail as flyers and of course that got me considering it, too. I remember the enjoyment of "making something out of nothing" when we used to wind paper strips into beads.

Wouldn't you know. As soon as I become interested in this, dd has moved on to very sophisticated pendants that probably won't work with bead sets after all. lol - it's still fun to think about paper bead craft and I might try it again. Even if with the boys when they next visit.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:06 pm

People have been leaving rock pendandts at ths trading post. They are fun!
I painted a kid chair. Kid N is trying to get me to paint trolls on it.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Creative Home”