Art, Craft and Needlework July 2017

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework July 2017

Postby Harriet » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:38 am

When we're designing or planning a new project to paint, weave, scrap, knit, sculpt, crochet, sew or write, what fun we have to look forward to!

There's also so much satisfaction to be found in going back to an UnFinished Object and completing it to enjoy.

When we can balance our creativity with keeping up with our work (so that there's no guilt, no worry that we "should" be doing something else) we can have the best of both worlds - a calm, well-ordered home AND the chance to create things of beauty to place within it! That's a double blessing to strive for!

Welcome, and please let us know about the project you have at hand, compliments received, struggles to balance work and play, and your creative direction!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework July 2017

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:38 am

One more walking stick to deliver then done with this batch. I finished up a dish cloth yesterday. I have done up several batches of rocks also. I have been putting beads on bracelets as well.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:09 pm

Here are the beads I made with ds' children, made into necklaces with dd18's polymer wildlife (tentacles and bluebird chick) pendants for the middles.

NecklacesSmall.jpg

This was our mess making the necklaces from long paper strips. Pie plate with toothpicks was a lot of help for drying of Mod Podge.

NecklaceCraftSmall.jpg

little britches6 (who has the next bday) has requested a bead-making craft time for dd's boys the next time they come and his Mom has promised to wear whatever they make! :D I don't know how the older two boys will feel about this, but they are pretty easy-going! They will probably be able to do the winding and maybe cutting.

I wore the necklace made of red, white and blue today for the holiday with a blue top. Wore the green and tentacles last weekend for church and visit to dfirstinlaws with beach scene top and turquoise jacket. As I told dd37, I am not always very confident with my wardrobe, and having an interesting necklace to let the children talk about, to take some of the attention and maybe match (what a concept), makes me feel better about my clothes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:30 pm

That's amazing! I would never think they were made of paper!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Oh -- I love these, Harriet! I've seen those paper beads before -- on necklaces at craft fairs. They do NOT look like paper at all, and it is so neat the way they do them. I am impressed with yours! WTG!
Tomorrow is another day.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:21 am

I love those d harriet!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:10 pm

I have some glass beads in my craft stuff and you know what... ... they are so heavy! Paper beads are shiny and can be different shapes - long or fat, tapered or straight-edged. But they are so lightweight. After getting used to the paper beads around my neck, I wore a necklace that had glass and wood beads and had the impression of heaviness around my neck.

I like the reviews of this product from 4M company that helps a child get the bead making to "hold still" like a third hand helping. But I believe it would have to be ordered. Reviews say find it at Target but it's not at ours, or HobbyL. I remember this principle from my late dh's leather working supplies - sit down using something tall to clamp the work close to your eyes, but anchor your work with your own legs/knees while sitting, so that it's stable. Here is a "stitcher" like the one my late dh used so many times.

Dd18 has been making pastel tentacle pendants and I wore one today. Maybe a little more socially acceptable to have a lavender and coral colored tentacle hanging around one's neck than a black/green one! :lol: Don't want to look like 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, after all, lol!

She and I are working on a "bulletin board" for the study I'm teaching this upcoming week. The author describes 4 different attitudes in the lesson, and it's going to help to have illustrations of 4 different emotions/expressions. I gave her a list of descriptive words for each person's body language. She chose to draw bald people with round, open faces, just from the waist up, with shrugged shoulders or crossed arms, blushing, etc., whatever conveys the attitude. It will really just be on poster board as I assume we wouldn't want to hang it, but I think we'll leave it there on an easel and let people ask about it. It will be good to remind folks that the space is being used at another time through the week, too - maybe it will encourage someone to attend another time.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:51 am

Popping in to share that I was able to attend half of a sewing retreat/day camp July 20-22. Long explanation why I couldn't attend the whole thing, but the short version is that I got called in to work at the library even though my plans for those 3 days had been in place for over 6 months. :(

Anyway, the short time I did have to be at the retreat was a lot of fun. There were 13 people. We did a lot of chatting and laughing, and it's always enjoyable to see what everyone else brings to sew. One of the guild members travels all over the country and buys fabric wherever she goes, so she always has interesting printed cottons that we don't see available here in our local stores. There was a wide variety of projects in the group: lots of quilt blocks, dresses, tote bags, pillow cases, a lovely blouse, table runners, Quilt of Valor, Tshirt quilt for a going-to-college gift, and a baby gift for a first grandchild.

I myself did some pattern drafting and sewed a knit top start to almost finish. I didn't do the hems there because I didn't take the right needle to make the topstitching look the best. I was happy to get that much done in spite of many interruptions. The large tables make everything easier to do. Oh, and I also cut a bunch of netting strips to crochet into dish scrubbies, since I gave away all that I had made before and now I need some for my own kitchen.

The group is planning another retreat in October but I'm not very hopeful about being able to go to that one.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:56 am

Harriet, thank you for posting the link to the paper bead gadget. I put it on my wish list. I'm collecting instructions for craft projects that can be made from vintage book pages, and now that I've seen your beads I want to make myself a necklace from pages with a variety of words and illustrations.

I wonder if that gadget would also work with fabric strips? Depends on how much it can be adjusted for thickness and tension ...

Return to “The Creative Home”