Art, Craft and Needlework, September 2017

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, September 2017

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:48 pm

It's September and for many, planning for the holidays is in full swing. In The Holiday Grand Plan, the finish of List Week is at hand and September 2 begins Question Week (asking ourselves WHAT IS DESIRED from observances/celebrations this year).

By the week of September 10, IF DESIRED, a HG Planner needs to be ready to accomplish (yes, actually accomplish) this assignment:

Buy all supplies for homemade gifts (or homemade decor). Package each project with directions and other information in zipper food storage bag and place in a basket or box in craft/sewing area.

Thoughts? :)

Here's a prompt for us... ... what if a friend asked for help/support that week, to accompany to stores, so you could BOTH purchase what you choose for this assignment? With that kind of reasoning from someone who really wants to get started (and not procrastinate), what would your Question Week for this assignment be like?
1) Thinking - what can I choose that I'll love doing but won't overwhelm
2) Planning - what do I already own, and can gather as supplies
3) Listing - "To Buy"s
4) Finding - hmmm ... ... where are some storage bags... ..

What do you need to do to get ready to ask the question? (This is where I am, btw.) Maybe some organization and straightening in that craft/sewing area? Discuss with the rest of the family so they know you want to prioritize some time for this?

Does a creative idea that's been percolating in your brain a while start coming to the surface? Are there more than one? Which is of first importance, in case "life happens" and you can't get to both?

blessedw2

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, September 2017

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:56 pm

I start my needlepoint ornaments tomorrow for dd's. I bought the yarn one pay check and the canvas another. Getting excited to be doing needlework again.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:01 pm

I am done with one section of lap robe size blanket throw. I have yarn for dish clothes, puppets etc.

I have enough craft stuff except may be trim bc I watch all summner at yard sales for things to do and weekly excursions for stuff.

Maybe frames for dawings and sketches drawings, and jewlery making supplies.

Shoebox gifts would be what I would love ideas for.

Christmas in July was a success for me I just need to bag up 2 it and box them up for shipping. Found the last items this morning while cleaning up the creativity room.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:08 pm

Good job, blessed. I should have known you were right on schedule with HGP-type thinking!!

Nancy, tell me about shoebox gifts - I think I might know but not sure. As much as I think of ideas but don't follow through, I might think of some ideas for you.

"Getting craft area ready"

That's me, first things first.
Today got up on a stool and fixed the design wall (large sheet of gray flannel hung from cheap drapery rod) so that I have a clean slate. Used wide black velveteen ribbon left over from making dd37's old choral dress to mark 23"x32" boundaries of the space I have for a wall hanging in the LR. :idea: The velveteen sticks beautifully to the flannel for a clean line - I'm so glad I thought of it. Doesn't go all the way around but makes the shape and size very obvious.

UFO storage boxes are the place I will go to "shop". After considering a couple things that are very Christmasy, I may have decided on an autumn sampler wall hanging instead. That's optimistic - will I get it finished in time to enjoy? I got out the UFO storage box for an applique I did of chickens as a place to start thinking. I had other fabrics in there that I'd once thought would go with it. Getting out other autumn or country orphan blocks and fabrics, etc.

Christmasy UFO wall hangings still floating around in my brain - we'll see.
Also ideas of smaller gifts.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:45 pm

Samartians Purse sp. Does em but cannot get drop off locations till Oct. 1st. I think out church does em. One pic. Showed a boot box. So yes I can use em. Med. Size gift soccer ball they sugested will not fit in a shoe box however.

I have not done the shoe box gifts but various churchs pass em out saw a gal 100 yr. Old sewing up dresses for them. I was thinking hand puppets might work. The only size shoe boxes we have are boot boxes. :idea: Seems we have discussed this here before maybe I could do a search.... thinking on this any way.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:06 am

Report on Saturday's sew-in for charity --

14 brought their sewing machines. A couple of people were complaining that more members didn't come, and I admit that in a group of 62 members I had hoped for more. However, I had been afraid we would only have 6, so IMO 14 was a terrific number. Over 20% participation in a charity project! :) I also know that more will help, they just couldn't come this particular day.

2 other members showed up just for the meeting part and then left. I expected a lot more than that, but it seemed that there was some confusion about whether or not we were actually having any kind of regular meeting. Obviously most people thought if they weren't coming to sew, they were not welcome. That made me sad, because to me the best part of the meetings is the Sew & Share, seeing what other members have been playing with since we saw them last.

Anyway, we were there to sew baby sleeper sacks. They are fleece fabric, sleeveless with a long zipper on the front.
https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7219
They are for an organization that has programs for early child development, crisis childcare, etc. They are not allowed to have blankets in the baby cribs. They tell us that the babies and toddlers love being zipped into their sleepers so they can kick their feet and still stay covered. The bag style makes it easier to change the child than pants would be.

We had about 30 sleepers pre-cut to start sewing immediately, and we were able to make all of those. 1 of the women brought 2 huge bags of fleece fabric to donate. 3 people decided to cut rather than sew. I think in the end we counted between 30-35 finished, and another 25 to have at the next meeting for members to take home to sew. Each of us there also brought home several in various stages of completion to finish before the next meeting.

I had pre-cut 8 sleepers here at home. I had hoped to sew 1 as a sample before the meeting, but that didn't happen. Since I was interrupted several times while sewing, I only finished 1 during the sew-in. I brought the remaining 7 back home and I will enjoy sewing those here.

That knit top I've been trying to do for work is still in pieces. :| Maybe this week?

Return to “The Creative Home”