Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2017

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
BookSaver
Administrator

Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2017

Postby BookSaver » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:58 am

Last month a new "Threads" group started at my library. One woman loves to crochet and asked permission to advertise that she will be at the library with her project every Thursday afternoon from 1 to 3, and wants others to join her. It isn't a class, it's just a designated time for like-minded people to play with yarn and make new friends.

It's such a simple idea and took a few weeks to get going, but now there are 4 regulars and another 4 who say they want to start coming soon. We hope it will continue through the winter.

They are meeting during the time I'm working so I can't stitch with them, but it's fun to see their projects and hear them laughing in the back corner.

Would you like to be part of a group like that? Are any of your projects portable enough to pack in a bag to go play with friends? Or does your creative process work better when you are by yourself in your own space?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2017

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:25 am

I was able to get to my yarn group meeting last week we have found a place to met this fall and I am looking forward to the meeting this week and hearing all about the alpaca fest / spin inn gathering last weekend at this meeting. Traffic is better road construction is finishing up so that helps. We have out grown a few spots. I knit dish clothes at these meetings they are small and portable. Finished a dish cloth.

I painted stones to look like candy corn w smiliey faces on them, some new ones in white yellow and orange, others in red green and white for the Christmas season too. Maybe for the next rock trade event in Dec.
Some of the gals took one home.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:21 am

Thank you for starting us off, BookSaver. It was a relief to me to see we were "here".

I would love to find a group of "thread" folks but right now don't have one. I think it's wonderful when it can happen.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:01 pm

I finished the dishcloth I have been knitting. I have one more to go in this set. I am donating these to the rock group for a fund raiser, door prises ect. On set of 2 in fall colors for fall with a basket that has leaves painted on it, anothe in golds & tan, and a basket, and this last one is in Christmas colors and a basket. They are in a box to go when I finish up this last one.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:14 pm

I started a scarf in the thicker yarn.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Not enough yarn so I did another kid purse.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:44 am

I finally "finished" the animal print knit top I started many, many weeks ago -- except I'm not really happy with how the collar looks and feels. I need to wear the top for the day tomorrow and figure out how to tweak it.

I'm hoping to attend another sewing day camp Oct. 26-28. This time someone else offered to organize the event which means I have hopes of making progress on my own projects.

What I'm planning to sew at camp:

1) 1 or 2 tent beds for cats or small dogs. I've been asked to donate hand-made items to the animal shelter which they will auction off at their fund-raiser in February. I found a cute pattern for a pop-up tent bed. Need to decide on fabrics that will attract auction bidders.

2) Additional auction item, a small pet bed, maybe flannel? Another new-to-me pattern which only takes 1 yard of fabric plus scraps for stuffing.

3) Fleece zip-up baby sleeper sacks. I made one at a sew-in last month. I have 8 or 9 more cut out. There is no rush to finish because the organization now has plenty of them. However, the 2 bags of fleece pieces take up a lot of space and I want them out of the house. Plus, they're already cut and ready to sew, which is a major bonus.

I'm not actually confident that the other person will do the work that will allow me to sew very much. :| At least these small projects won't need a lot of brain power to figure out.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:57 am

I seamed up feed sack totes yesterday 6 I think, lost count. Have more to do later. Found a feed sack apron pattern also got those cut out prepped and ready to work up. I had a stash of feed bags I had been saving for this. :mrgreen: Happy to learn how but still trying to get the settings on my machine tension right. I watched how to do it with duck tape as well. Have to wipe em down with a damp cloth as part of the prepping.

Knitting group has been helping, Ms. Cranky pants has not been coming so she has not been driving members off.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:50 pm

Just a few more days until your sewing time, BookSaver! Hurray for letting others have a chance at work.

Glad "Ms Crankypants" is giving your group a break, Nancy. When she returns, she will find a happier group. She will probably figure out that she has to change to fit in with you all again.

Costume for our green-eyed boy got in the calendar way of other projects, but he's so appreciative he makes up for it!

I have the Toy Story character Woody's vest cut out and trying to decide whether to seam up the sides and shoulders or just safety-pin and get him to try on. This was supposedly a 5-6 size but it was a free printable on the net so no one to swear to it. I've already cut it down some because it obviously needed it - the "real" Woody's vest is very small and shows the shirt buttons all the time! And this little grandson of mine is a skinny fellow, let me tell you!

Hoping the method of making the trim works out. It's supposed to look like rope - diagonal black stripes on white. I'm taking regular double-fold bias tape in white and using a permanent black marker before sewing to make the diagonal stripes. i'll stitch the narrower side to back. Then I'll encase cording inside the bias and hope I can sew the wider side onto the front carefully enough that it doesn't ruin the look of the stripes. I know I could hand-sew but he'll never want to be Woody again! not worth it!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:47 pm

The gal that was irratating folk was back had her teeth fixrd and in better spirits. I figured as much. She had adventures to share of gardening club snafus mot hers. Lol.

I kept my visit short I get stiff sitting to long.

Return to “The Creative Home”