Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2017

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2017

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:45 pm

This little vest was a puzzle, but our Toy Story Woody is happy. This photo is over the only gold colored kid's shirt at my house, but you get the idea. The gold shirt he'll wear is long sleeve with button-down collar and tucks in to jeans.

VestCostumeSmallOct2017.jpg

No time to order black-and-white stripe binding (it is available, but from Europe!) so I made my own with sharpie marker on white binding. It was like a series of geometry problems, though! A right angle for the stripes wasn't enough - it has to be a sharper angle than that or on bias it will still look too straight. Then, when I first started, I had to learn that if marker got on the part of the binding that would tuck under, the fold turned it in another diagonal direction and it showed through.

The cording turned out to make very little difference in how the vest looked, so I didn't bother. The stripe of the binding (supposed to look like leather strips sewn diagonally, I think) is like an optical illusion that keeps you from appreciating that it's rounded.

Final problem was that in the photos of Woody, the trim stripes point in opposite directions on the opposite sides of his vest front. I thought that was because the same pattern travels up one side and down the other - noooooo, not that simple. After making a U-turn at the neck, the stripes won't point opposite ways, but the SAME way and look wrong. Armhole trim is tricky, too. So I drew half the binding with stripes going one way and half the other, "reversing" at back of neck and an underarm seam. If a tailor or seamstress goes up to him from the back and thinks "oh, how neatly this was seamed at neck", it will mean a double-take to see that it's really marker! ;)

French seams at shoulders and sides of vest were a great timesaver again - no need to line it. I absolutely love that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:13 pm

That is awesome Harriet. Love how you came up with the idea for striping the tape!

I finished knitting the blue scarf and started the pink one.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:42 pm

Thanks, Nancy! Ya'll please forgive me for taking up space. ddil just sent this and I can't resist letting you see. She says he's so excited. I believe that hat must be on loan from someone bigger, lol.

VestCostumeAllSmallOct2017.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:31 am

Wow, Harriet, that vest is amazing.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:02 am

Harriet, that's a spiffy vest!

I've made lots of halloween costumes when the girls were little. Let's see, I made a Peter Pan including hat with feather; a clown and I made an red yarn wig (put the yarn on a base of pantyhose); I made a crayon from a pattern that included templates for the crayola black just like a real one with a hat that looked like the point of a crayon; a red-riding hood red cape with hood and I used gold metallic thread to put a fancy edge all around and made a basket with red checkered fabric inside to carry; I did a raggedy ann costume.

Then for the grandkids I did a couple: from the same pattern a veggie tales tomato, and an orange pumpkin with a green (stem) hat.

Boy, I used to sew a lot. Not so much any more.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:13 am

I love it d Harriet!!! very cool!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:19 am

I thought this was cool - when d mom in law passed she had multiple patterns from the 50's (for children), 60's and 70's for adults. I wrote a fashion school in New York and their pattern museum to see if they wanted them and they did! Yesterday I received a lovely letter thanking us for giving them d mom's old patterns. What a lovely way to remember d mom. They look for really really old patterns but took these as they were relatively new for them (except the 50's children's patterns). They were so gracious in their letter thanking the family.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:14 pm

Fall sewing retreat recap:

I signed up for retreat with the intention to have 3 projects all cut out in advance. Best laid plans, etc.

Thursday I could only join my sewing friends for a couple of hours in the morning, but Friday and yesterday I was able to be there all day.

Projects =
1) Poofy pet bed in pink flannel, to donate to animal shelter for their auction in February. Almost finished, I just need to stuff it and then hand-sew the opening. I used a pattern from a library book because it only needed 1 yard of fabric. I thought it was going to be the quicker & easier project -- nope, it was a pain in the neck. I took a lot of time to be super accurate in cutting the 14 pieces (!) according to the diagram. I carefully sewed the 1/2 inch seams the instructions said for the first steps. Then I had to do a lot of fiddling and a few tries to get the sections to fit together. (I might be willing to make another one -- but only because I've already taken the time to work out where the instructions were wrong!) I will finish it tonight while I watch a movie.

2) Pop-up Tent for cat or small dog in cute cotton prints, another auction donation = cut out and 1/4 finished. It is going together so much easier than the poofy bed. The outer layer is multi-color small paws on black background; the lining is multi-color swirls on black. I need to call around to local craft stores to see if anyone carries basket making supplies, because the tent poles are 2 pieces of spline.

Ooo, I just googled "basket weaving spline" and the first link that came up shows the picture of the pattern I'm using. Now I know what size of spline to buy. I don't know anything about basket weaving supplies and saw online that the spline comes in several different diameters. They are recommending #9 spline. Thanks, google. :)
http://basketweaving.com/shopsite_sc/st ... uct82.html

3) Fleece baby zip-up sacks = I made 1 at the sewing group charity sewing day last month. I have 9 more all cut out ready to sew but didn't even take those bags with me since the poofy bed was taking so long.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:16 pm

so so cute!

I have been thinking about January - dd younger and dd older wore the same outfit home from the hospital - I saw where they took a baby outfit and made a stuffed animal pattern out of it - so cute. I, though, may not have the heart to cut into it. I would like each of them to have a stuffed animal out of the one outfit.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:19 pm

blessed, that makes me think of the traditional Scottie Dog Pillow. That would really cut the fabric up though, so is probably not at all what you're thinking.

BookSaver, it looks like a little pet would love that. How do they ship the spline? I'm glad you had time for sewing, even if there were some frustrations.

Nancy, you would not believe that my dd19 is learning how to knit. I truly do not know how to do it myself - only crochet. She has so much confidence just from watching youtube tutorials. First she saw an arm-knitting video for those giant wool skeins, but the fact that they are wool, plus the whole project is finished so quickly, kind of talked her out of that. Then decided that she could knit in general. She bought some type of fat or chunky or thick (?) acrylic varigated soft skein (yarn is 3 or 4 times plumper than regular, IMO) and a pair of needles that seemed right to her (?) and just dove in to making what I guess will be a scarf. It seems to be working. The yarn is so rustic and so many different shades that it will probably be cute even if she's not very good. She looked up after getting a few rows done and said she loved it and could do this for life.

Return to “The Creative Home”