Art, Craft and Needlework, November 2017

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, November 2017

Postby Harriet » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:49 pm

November's arrival may mean it's the season to consider creativity in a new light, with decorating and gift-giving enjoyment on the horizon! What has needed your creative thought processes lately? What needs the creative touch before the holidays? Are handmade gifts going well? Are you going to wrap gifts in a certain way this year and will you need more supplies?

blessedw2

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, November 2017

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:29 am

so frustrated - I feel I am young (58) but my eyes are telling me something different. I always had great eyesight to do petit point needlepoint/cross stitch and any embroidery but now I couldn't see the squares where my needle should go in my needlepoint project! I don't want to give it up so I need to get the lighted magnifying glass... wow I never thought that would happen. ;)
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:43 pm

I finished a red white and green hot pad this morning and have started a Christmas green dish cloth.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:29 am

As mentioned in PWYC, I'm going to make cloth shopping bags to replace all the ones I've purchased from stores. I'm concerned about carrying food in bags that quickly get dirty, so I want some that I can easily throw in the washer & dryer. I've found all kinds of free patterns online.

I finished the first test pattern last week. I like how easy it was to cut out and sew together. Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvYgHRFNFYQ

I don't have the book with the pattern for that video so I estimated the general shape. Mine turned out a bit too small, because the pieces of fabric I had were not quite 1/2 yard wide. However, the bag will be fine for carrying canned food and other things that tend to get heavy in quantity.

I think I want bags the size of standard plastic bags from chain stores.

After I've tested a few more patterns to find the bag size and handle width that I really like, I will start an assembly line to make Christmas gifts.

I have lots of cotton print fabrics in my stash that I'll use for my test projects and keep for myself. Once I know what I'm doing, I have brand new fabrics for the gifts.

I was lucky enough to find the exact right number of coordinating fabrics for my co-workers, so they'll all get the same gift but won't be identical. I tried to match the prints to their personalities and colors I've seen them wearing to work.

Not forgetting the charity sewing items from last month. Deadlines for all of those aren't until January, though, so I'm going to do Christmas gifts first now that I have A Plan.

Return to “The Creative Home”