Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2017

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harmony

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2017

Postby Harmony » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:15 pm

Kathryn, the lettering on your stockings is great! I wouldn't know you aren't a sew-er.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:48 pm

I opened up the old sewing machine. Been a long while since I've done any sewing. Just not motivated these days.

But today, we put the 3rd leaf in the dining room table, and I didn't really have a decent table cloth for it. So I went down to JoAnns with my coupon and got some material and spent a few hours fitting it and hemming all the way around. Tedious sewing, I thought I'd never get all the way around! Cream color with white leaf pattern over all. Turned out very pretty once I adjusted it.

I thought I could get away without cutting the length but it was so much longer than the sides I cut another 12" off and rehemmed that edge.

Table is 44" wide and 118 long. It's always been hard for me to find a tablecloth that big and when I did they were really expensive. We only make the table this long every couple years. Now if I just had time to sew up a Christmas runner for the middle..... we'll see about that.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:55 am

I got that baby blanket knit up did that yesterday. Now to get it seamed up. I have been coloring with a marker in a planner with coloring pages for relaxation & fun. Made two envelopes out of Christmas paper & sorted paper crafting and art papers today glad to had that sorted yea for progress. I have painted a new design on some stones with a night sky full moon and evergreen tree to put out after Christmas. I worked on a coaster aka a mini dish cloth.

Been thinking on a knit vest.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:37 am

Harmony: my table is the same size! I know what you mean about finding tablecloths. My dmil had a lace one 'made' (not sure of the details) for the full table years ago. And I have one linen one that came from my grandmother's along with a number of shorter cloths (she was the second owner of the table.) I keep my tablecloths labeled as to how many leafs I can use with each one so I know which one to grab.

I don't think I have the patience to sew such long stretches. That was quite a feat! Even finding table runners for it is hard. I tend to use them cross wise, rather than length wise.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:05 am

Kathryn, you must have a very big dining room to fit that table. We have a good space for ours, but the end chairs are to the front wall with just enough space to get around comfortable, and at the other end that chair is just about in the archway. How many people do you get around yours? 12 fit comfortably on mine but now we have 13 so we are going to use a couple smaller chairs and put 2 at one end instead of 1.

Everybody will fit. I didn't want to use the "kids table" in the kitchen because my "kids" (grandsons) are 6'4", one is 18, and 1 is 12. Not really "kids". If DSiL brings his brother along (I didn't ask about him) I will have to move some to the kitchen table.

I did make up a table runner. It is only 72" so I just stretched it along the middle. It is cream with bright red poinsettias, green leaves and some sparkly gold stitching throughout. I rounded off the ends, which was the hardest part of the whole thing. I had some batting left so I used the fabric for the front and the back and I put the batting in the middle and sewed it all around. Sounds easy. It wasn't. A lot of ironing, lots of steam and fogged up glasses, and I had to locate my walking foot for the sewing machine and sew it all around.

I made a centerpiece out of a gold basket and some red velvet poinsettias I had and put that in the middle.

Checked a couple stores today, yeah no table cloths this size and no table pads. So I bought some padding and used that for a pad. Someday I will put some vinyl on one side of it. It's washable so I'm not concerned about it.

Disappointed in WM's fabric section. It's moved to the middle of the store and is only 2 aisles and the tags are tiny and low to the ground. The clerk said "I do not sew". Clearly this dept. is not a priority for them. They were out of Christmas fabric, so I rode up to H obby Lo bby where I found a small selection 50% off. At least they had some.

I'm really fussing a lot. I guess I am nervous having these people in my house for a meal. Not my family, the other people, though I know they're very nice. Think I'll be glad when this is over.

Return to “The Creative Home”