Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2017

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2017

Postby Harriet » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:51 pm

What are the creative outlets you are enjoying these days?

blessed is doing some close needlework.
BookSaver is sewing her own shopping bags.
.....thanks for the link
Nancy is making green dishcloths.
Elizabeth is almost finished stitching a Koala.

Lots of us are decorating and lighting and wrapping with a creative touch.
Tell us what YOU are up to!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2017

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:06 am

Knitting is what I have been doing I finished a lap robe this week. Started another knit project a baby blanket.

Got some paper pages cut to fit a planner notebook today as well.

Painted stars on stones also.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:31 am

Project Update

Tried 2 new patterns: a knit top with a different style of collar, and an unlined jacket in a thin knit fabric. I'm not happy with either of them.

I finished the top a few weeks ago and I've been fiddling with the collar ever since because it won't drape nicely. I gave it one more try last night because I wanted to wear the top to sewing group meeting today, but it's not working. I've decided to pull the collar completely off and cut out a new one, but the shape will depend on how much fabric I have left.

I put the sleeves on the jacket Tuesday night, which was supposed to finish it. Once again it is the collar that isn't working. The fabric is so stretchy that the collar needs more support in it. I'll mess with it some more before I wear it out anywhere.

Mending for oldest DSis: 2 knit tops with V necks that she thought were too low. I found coordinating fabrics to add inserts into the V necks so they'll be higher. I made sure they were still open enough to pull over my head. She has arthritis in her hands and cannot fasten buttons or snaps.

Next on the list will be a 2nd test pattern for the shopping bag gifts. I've been using the 1st test bag and I think it's a little too small to be really useful. If the 2nd test works out, then I'll be ready to cut and sew 8 gifts.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:07 pm

Enjoying these posts so much - I'm so pleased for you both that you have these enjoyable outlets. BookSaver, I knew you were stressed the other day. ;) Hoping you would get to think about the sewing as fun. Sounds like a big help to your sister. I love altering a garment so that it has more or new life.

Dd19 and I went to Michaels on almost the spur of the moment, but on her phone she found a coupon while at the store. She says they are very good about usually having a coupon of some type you can find. Anyway, between her sketching supplies, my gift boxes and other items, we reached the total of the coupon deal quickly, and she's a member of their club or whatever. So our cost was greatly reduced, from 43 to 27 $, which is more than a third. I told her it was worthy of her coupon-queen paternal grandmother!

It's difficult to go through a nice craft store at this time of year and think of all the creative things you'd like to do and must resist. Dd19 said this too, looking longingly at the knitting supplies but needing to stay away. I will say, though, that it is a joy to see each person/family in different depts, all thinking about their particular ideas, from cake decorating to pillow making.

To tell you how behind I'm getting, this post sat for 24 hours :shock: and I haven't gotten to PWYC in that time. UGH.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:42 pm

Copying from PWYC:
Yesterday early morning was the general sewing group meeting for all the members. The educational program was a hands-on make & take to put together little origami gift boxes. The teacher provided squares of fabric with stiff iron-on interfacing attached, so all we had to do was choose 1 of the designs, cut & fold. Some of the shapes needed to be hot glued together. I chose 1 that only needed to be folded and creased well to stay together. Very cute.

Here is a site with a video that shows a very similar shape to the little box I made at the meeting:
https://papierbonbon.wordpress.com/2014 ... e-pattern/

I did not get any sewing done today. It was so nice out that I worked in the yard instead. C'est la vie.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:06 am

I am doing the last ball of yarn on the pink baby blanket. I need one more so may be doing a diff project. I habe a cone of red cotten yarn for dish clothes and hot pads on hand.

I want to make a vest of quilt blocks I have on hand, got patten for this, I need batting I think.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:46 pm

I stayed up late last night to cut out and sew a Japanese knot bag for teenage coworker H. She's only 15 and I only see her when I work Saturdays, so I don't really know much about her.

I used a modern floral print fabric with a bit of an Asian vibe (dark pink/gray/black/white on light pink background) and solid black lining. I used the same pattern that I did for coworkers last year. It turned out well -- more toward the sophisticated side rather than little girlish.

With the bag, I gave my standard "Winter Emergency Kit" of pkt of hot chocolate, pkt of Emergen-C, purse pack of tissues, and chocolate (this time 2 Ghirardelli peppermint bark squares, 1 milk chocolate & 1 dark chocolate).

For all the other bags I'm making this year, I'm using a more standard shopping bag size and style. I just thought the teenager might like something a little more unusual.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:33 pm

I never post here because I never have anything to show off. I still don't but thought you might like to see three generations of the Christmas Stocking.

For those who don't know Malcolm is dgs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:34 pm

I could not find the pink yarn for the blanket I am currently working on,
at the store they were out of pink so I got lite blue yarn instead, I will use the blue in the center section. Ran out of blue but restocked store shelf had me happy got 2 more balls of it half done knitting this section should have it done this week.

WTG everyone on your projects!
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:07 pm

thanks for posting the photo, Kathryn, those look great - very festive! I enjoy seeing groups of stockings, anyway, but you have gotten these looking like a matched set, for sure.

BookSaver, that seems ideal for a teen. I like your set of winter small gifts.

Nancy, the vest sounds like a fun project.

I've gotten enough compliments on a rustic ornament on my tree that I bought more of the jute string I used for it's hanger loop today, in case I can make some more.

Dd19 is using the dining table :roll: for bookmaking craft now, and in an unrelated project has made decorative paper of blank index cards using shaving cream and food coloring. Only problem is that the book project is extensive and I can't get to table to wrap presents. :?

Return to “The Creative Home”