Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2018

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2018

Postby Harriet » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:26 pm

There's a creative person buzzing around in each of us.

But they can't come to the phone right now, because they're buried in admin and paperwork.

That's a quote from Paul Vincent of Open College of the Arts. His ideas for finding more time for creativity include tracking your time for a few days to find out for sure if you are missing some opportunities. Also he suggests practicing saying "No" to requests that will take up your time, which he says will not cause social upheaval and everyone will understand.

March was not kind to all of us as far as allowing time for being creative. Here's hoping someone will come in and tell what great stuff they accomplished in March!

April is a new month stretching before us. How will you use it creatively?

Vincent says he would guess that :
"We get misty-eyed at the thought of painting, playing, singing, writing or making, only to shrug it off."

Hmmm... ... has he been peeking in my window! :lol:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2018

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:25 pm

I dug out the sewing zone in March so I could use it! I knit up dish cloths and painted rocks, sold one of my spinning wheels. I made some up cycled jean bags, and fabric bags. Did some art in my bojo glad for my notes in it for my check in here. I hemmed table clothes. And seamed a blanket fabroc and fleece. Got the fabric pile whittled down.

I also tried whittling and carving, wood and pruning have to rest my shoulder now.

I have done some prep. For sewing this month, I filled bobbins of thread, & cut out bags to seam up a friend from knitting group gave me some fabric.

I ran across quilt blocks while decluttering and have more to do on the quilt projects. Sorted out the pieces that were too small for piecing up quilt blocks. So I decluttered a groc sack of scraps.

I noticed the blank journal selection was very bare at the store.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:13 pm

I stiched and fringed a table cloth and put it on today. Finished up more bags last week did one this week and repaired a dog leash. Knitted on some more dish clothes as well one more black one then grey these are for dgd apt. in school colors.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:07 am

I have finished up thd next batch of fabric gift bags. Four of these dusty rose with purple satiny lining done, it was a productive session.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:03 pm

I have finished up two more fabric gift bags and mended the couch throw. Yea for progress on my 100 day sewing challenge.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:18 am

Wow, Nancy, that's a lot of stuff done. I wish I could be that productive.

In my decluttering effort, in the back of my mind were those projects that I started eons ago. I want to get after one of my walk-in closets but guess what's stacked up on the shelves? Yep, the stacks of fabric for those projects. I've actually been dreaming about that... not happy planning dreams, but on-my-mind thoughts about that stuff.

So today I bit the bullet and got all the fabric out and I made the curtains for my bedroom. I didn't line them as I'd wanted, thought I'd leave more light to come in. Just rod pockets at the top with a ruffle along the top edge, and a nice big hem. Wouldn't think something like that would take all day, but it did.

I'm not quick any more figuring sizes and how much material to leave at the top for the pockets, etc. etc. It was just like writer's block for sewing. Anyway, I eventually did figure it out and got it done. I have not decided if I want to make tie backs or not. I'll give that a couple days to decide.

Now all that's left of that stack of fabric is the stuff I bought for my bed throw cover. I'm still having problems with that green/blue/green paint I put on the wall. Went toward the green for the curtains and the stuff I bought for the bed goes toward the blue. So I am still thinking how to use the material. More thinking.

I've come to realize I'm not really a creative person. I enjoy looking at fabric and seeing a project done, but don't really enjoy the process. Wrong side of my brain I guess.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:50 am

Wtg on your progress Harmony. Thanks for your reply to my post.

Have been doing more ripping out than actual knitting I think, but got the mistakes corrected and reknit up that yarn. Sigh... I have abondoned that 100 day challenge it is yard work season. I am going to declutter the quilt blocks I do not love them my friend will take them. I will start over with fabrics I love if I decide I need a quilt.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:43 pm

I never could rip out my knitting. I had the difficulty of not knowing how to put the loop back onto the other needle. From the front or the back? Depending if I was knitting or purling...just could never figure it out right. So if I made a mistake, I was back to square one. Nancy, you must be a much better knitter than I am! Course, I learned from one of those little del teach-yourself-to-knit books. The first time I blocked a piece I had knitted, I pressed it like one does a man's shirt. Flat. As. A. Pancake. I'm somewhat better than that now.

So. Went to the fabric store looking for flannel with an artistic print with the right blue-green-blue-whatever color to match something. This whole infatuation with gray everything, gray paint, gray cabinets, gray walls, gray floors, inside and out, has attacked the fabric store too. 1/4 of the shelves were full of gray this and that. I couldn't find a mint green with a little blue something in it in that whole store.

Found something that might work, and it wasn't what I wanted but I did buy what they had of it which wasn't much. Guess what the clerk said when I talked with her about all their gray? She said she agreed and was sorry to see people were buying all that gray to use for their baby things. Pink or blue? NO, gray.

25 years ago grey (is it gray or grey?) and pink was the BIG trend. I had grey slacks and a white, pink and grey jacket. Come on designers. There are other colors.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:04 am

I’m having an inexplicable urge to stamp again. May be the seriousness of my genealogy is needing a creative antidote? It’s strange how hobbies wax and wane. If I had unlimited time, which I do, btw, i’d take a hobby woodworking class too.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:59 pm

Quick check in, last for April.

I spent the day off and on working on the bed quilt. I guess it's more a quilt than a spread. I got all the pieces put together, contrasting boarders and the top pieced in about 3 big pieces. The over all pattern is such that I have a hard time even seeing where the seams are. I'm so very pleased that I figured out how to do it and finally got a handle on the right color. It took a few tries. I now have about 3 1/2 yards of stuff I decided not to use because of the color... and the right one looks great!

Now to get the front and back sewed together and machine quilted.

Return to “The Creative Home”