Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2018

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2018

Postby Nancy » Mon May 07, 2018 10:12 pm

I did up two greeniesh teal, also a yellow one and pink pastel shade dish clothes, one more yellow one is under way.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu May 10, 2018 1:48 am

Not sure where to put this so I will put it here for now. Planners are on sale I got another planner cover in the rose gold I wanted but could not find in stock any where last yr. I have been setting it up.

No rings to deal with, I can do the bujo style of planning in one looked all over for the journal to go in it a not so common size, the other can be for sketches, still need a note pad for one in the size. Might need to make a traverls note book one out of paoers I have on hand for that.

I got the elastic pen holders to use as well. Penmanship pratice underway here this evening. :mrgreen:

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu May 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Nancy wrote:I did up two greeniesh teal, also a yellow one and pink pastel shade dish clothes, one more yellow one is under way.

Ha! Greenish teal, the color of my bedroom walls. After struggling with that color so much, guess what I saw in a check-out line today? Nail polish the exact color! (Not that I'd actually use that color on my nails, but I was amused that's the place I found it).

Still working on the quilt top. Tried to take a short-cut. Thought I'd be able to do the machine quilting at least on the borders without pinning it or basting first. Nope. Spent many hours taking out that stitching. It's now all spread out ready for pinning. Not going to make that mistake again.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun May 27, 2018 7:30 am

BookSaver attended a sewing program on adding pizzazz to plain items. Wonder what she'll sew?

My contribution as one of the presenters to the program was my Tshirt for work from last summer. It was ordered from a catalog and it fit me, but was a very snug fit and uncomfortable for my work situation, plus the sleeves were shorter than I think is flattering on me. The shirt could not be exchanged.

I wanted to wear it because it's a basic black Tshirt with a library logo in lots of pretty colors on the front. I couldn't find a matching fabric, but I found a coordinating dark peacock blue left over from a knit top I'd made years ago. (Side note: bad news for efforts to declutter fabrics, as one never knows when it might come in handy!)

I split the sleeves across to insert a strip of the blue fabric to add length to them, and then split both sides to insert the blue fabric to add width to the body of the shirt. Now it fits comfortably for work, and the color blocking ended up being quite attractive.

I didn't think my shirt was that big of a deal -- it was an idea born of necessity and I got lucky with already having the right color fabric to add -- but the person putting together the "add the pizzazz" program liked it enough to ask me to join that panel of presenters.

This month I needed to alter 2 Tshirts for work for the same reasons -- ordered from the state-wide summer theme catalog, the sizes ran small, and they couldn't be returned. They fit snug enough that they were not comfortable to work in and they were not flattering.

One shirt I used the same method as I did for last year's -- split the sleeves and sides, inserted wide strips to add length and width. The base Tshirt is navy blue with the logo in white; the fabric I added is a lighter color of blue but the same intensity. I think that's the word I want, intensity? color saturation?

The other shirt was easier to fix because it fits well everywhere but the bottom hem. It needed a couple more inches around my hips to stop it from riding up as I move. How I fixed it was I split open the bottom of the right side about 6 inches, and added 2 long rectangles of fabric. The base shirt is dark blue with the logo in red and black, the fabric I added is black so I can wear the shirt with either blue jeans or black jeans. I loosely tie the long rectangles I added at my hip, which both adds the couple of inches needed and also adds a little draped shape so it isn't just a straight line across my widest part.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon May 28, 2018 12:06 pm

I split the sleeves across to insert a strip of the blue fabric to add length to them

I love this idea. I had a short-sleeve top that I really liked - got a lot of use out of - so I purchased 2 more since I felt confident. But it's like someone tried to save money changing the pattern to make the sleeves shorter! The knit fabric is a bit thick, too, so they stick out like cap sleeves rather than drape. It seems to me this idea would keep from a "homemade" look since the sleeve hem edge would be the same look as garment hem? If you didn't need to add any further color blocking, a simple applique, patch-pocket, or some touch at the neckline that matched would also bring the color together - even a necklace or scarf with same coloring would be a "no-sew" match-up.

A wonderful heart-warming for me yesterday when a church friend brought me a photo sent to me from one of my students in the quiltmaking class I taught in church fellowship hall several years back. Her mother-in-law was actually our member, but they both attended. She had made 20 blocks (two of each we learned) into a sampler wallhanging about 50 by 60 (she used a slim border and just 1-inch sashing between) so that it would fit a particular space in her home. She finally got the area fixed up the way she wanted, hung the quilt, and sent the photo. If I can get my ducks in a row, I'll see if I can manage to post it here.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon May 28, 2018 8:03 pm

My creative efforts have been in the garden for to most part except for a hat I did with a dish cloth for a base for dil one in yellow is just finished and I have started one in lavender.

Return to “The Creative Home”