Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2018

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2018

Postby Harriet » Tue May 01, 2018 4:51 pm

So many questions - what thoughts are on the minds of our intrepid designers? :shock:

Twins' Mom has an inexplicable urge to stamp again! And wonders... ... hobby woodworking? Hmmm... ..
Harmony got the colors right on her project and sewed a quilt top. Will it go with (newly made) curtains?
Elizabeth was given doll clothes patterns at her knit/crochet group - will she buy the doll they fit?
Nancy stitched a fringed tablecloth and made gift bags. How many days of daily sewing did she manage?
BookSaver attended a sewing program on adding pizzazz to plain items. Wonder what she'll sew?
Cathy has been doing cross stitch, with music playing, kitty purring. Will Geraniums piece finish soon?
Harriet wonders ... if she doesn't promise herself anything this month, will she get in creative time?

Inquiring minds want to know! How will you be creative in May?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2018

Postby Nancy » Tue May 01, 2018 6:23 pm

About a weeks worth of sewing before good weather came and I changed my focus to that.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri May 04, 2018 1:07 am

I got the (whole cloth) quilt put together with the back. I'm not doing a binding, just sewed it together around the 4 edges and turned it back right side out and sewed a small edging stitch all the way around. Now all I have to do is the machine quilting. This works nice with the soft flannel on both sides.

The top side print is 3 color dots on white in a diagonal stripe. One of the dots is between a moss and mint green and goes nicely with the darker green on the curtains.

I've come to realize that teal by itself goes with the walls ok if it is a light shade. However, if I go towards green, then blues or teal is too much blue to blend in. The back side of the quilt is beautiful shades of blue and teal. I'll just leave that on the back, and if I ever repaint then I'll do a blue and I'll be all set!

I did realize though that a big project like this is very hard for me to do. I need to not get started on something so ambitious in the future, at least until (when, if) DH quits all this work and keeping me busy.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat May 05, 2018 8:28 pm

My creativity in fruit platters (very elementary "fruit carving") was a hit at the luncheon today. I think the most attention went to the papaya "flowers" (orange), but the honeydew basket with scalloped edge was fun as well. I kept the pineapple (boats, blessed calls them) and mango replaced as we ran out. Happy to have seen the idea on youtube also for cutting in advance down into cantaloupe and papaya and sticking toothpicks in already, so people would feel confident taking a little wedge. The mini banana bunch went home with our very pregnant member who has a four-year-old at home.

Thank you, youtube!

FruitPlatterSmallMay2018.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat May 05, 2018 9:57 pm

That is beautiful, Harriet!!! WTG!!! :D
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun May 06, 2018 4:00 pm

Love the fruit platter Harriet very nice!

The rock swap was great. Next one will be a potluck.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon May 07, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon May 07, 2018 12:48 am

Very pretty fruit platter, yes very creative. Did you experience anybody not wanting to spoil the display by taking any of the fruit?

Today I did the very thing you talked about in PWYC. I went to supermarket and picked up a container of chopped up fruit and one of watermelon pieces and mixed the two of them together in a bowl. We were going to my sis-in-laws house as DH's niece is in town for a short visit, and family were all gathering for a fish fry dinner. Certainly NOT creative, but still colorful and delicious.

The bad thing about your creation, Harriet, is now it will be expected of you. No tossing bought fruit pieces together like I did!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon May 07, 2018 6:56 am

Beautiful!! What a stylish dish to see (and eat!).

At a church potluck recently I had a person approach me as I was putting out the food. They asked where the dip was for the fruit platter. I stumbled in answering because I was caught off guard by the question and was totally clueless to give an answer. I repeated the question to ensure I understand "You are looking for the fruit dip?" I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY. I then told them we didn't have fruit dip and asked if they could use some salad dressing as a dip. I could tell by their expression that they were not pleased by my answer. I don't think I have ever put dip on my raw fruit. Hum.....thinking again....I have eaten caramel apples and have also put peanut butter on apple slices .......so I guess that is putting something on a raw fruit.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon May 07, 2018 6:23 pm

Thanks, ya'll, for putting up with fruit among the needlework posts! Dd19 has my sewing machine at school - that's how starved I am to do anything pretty!

A pink dip for fruit was served at a wedding shower I attended, I believe. Very sweet, like a thinned cream-cheese frosting. The hostess felt she had to tell guests what it was for, LadyM, so obviously she didn't think it was an "expected" item. I can see how that could go either way health-wise. Could be made of wholesome ingredients or could be so sugary that it would sort of defeat the purpose. To me, a fruit dip risks homogenizing the varied tastes of already-sweet natural fruits that cost plenty of money/resources to find just as they are. I like tasting the differences.

Harmony, the very first lady who approached the table is a wise woman, and she quickly cut away some mango, plucked out some papaya by the toothpicks and set the tone for everyone else to take what they wanted! I was appreciative of her! You mean you actually opened and mixed two things? That's way more than I see done at most pot lucks here. I myself have usually brought a large grocery store chains' tray, and I notice people sometimes forget to open it, it's so taken for granted. People are no more interested in the fruit tray than the napkins. (and it will be the only fruit brought)

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon May 07, 2018 8:33 pm

My fruit medley had kiwi, strawberries, cantaloupe, pineapple, honeydew, and then I added the chunks of the watermelon. A lot of it got eaten, but I did make sure it was passed around.

I've had a thinned cream cheese with strawberry dip (though I do think it was sweetened) and I've had yogurt thinned with the syrup which comes in the fruit cocktail can. Both were good but sweet. And of course caramel with apples is good. I think it takes away the flavors of the fruit. Why I like fruit all mixed together is the flavors mix and the juices make it all taste so good.

Oddest thing that happened to me with fruit once was I took fruit salad in a big bowl. The lady putting stuff out got a tray and separated all the fruits and put a line of strawberries, a line of grapes, a line of melon, etc. Totally baffled me. It wasn't big huge slices of fruit, it was a fruit salad!

Return to “The Creative Home”