Art, Craft and Needlework June 2018

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework June 2018

Postby Harriet » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:07 pm

What is under construction at your place?

What's coming together in a creative way, making you smile?

May was very interesting, with a few deadlines (yipes) and set-backs (awww), but also some stress-free pursuits.

Nancy has been creative with gardening, planners and hat-making.
Harmony pinned her quilt top. The pattern she's currently working in is a holding pattern.
BookSaver has been altering tops & showing off her creations to sewing group.
LadyM came in to encourage - her acrylic painting changed to oil (?) based exterior lately!
lucylee came in to encourage - we need to ask her what her creativity has been!
Harriet has learned some simple fruit carving and platter presentation.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework June 2018

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:05 am

I did a bit of knitting at the meeting we went to coffee shop last week. Working up a lavendar hat this month. Painted some stones this week as well as gardening. Loving old fashioned pink heavily scented tea roses. I got some fabric at a yard sale today I am inspired with these prints 2 summer ones, one solid flannel for winter, hoping to get some things cut out to seam up later on.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:52 pm

Here is the photo my former quiltmaking student Laurie sent. It was actually her dmil who was our church member but they both took the class, each either making one each of the 9 class blocks from basic to difficult, or making one together. In the intervening years, her dmil grew very ill with dementia, requiring a lot of care, and has passed away. So the mother-in-law's plan for how she wanted the two of them to someday put all their blocks into a completed quilt for son/dh with additional piecing fell by the wayside. After her death, her blocks and some additional fabric was found, but never any notes for how she wanted to complete. The family gave it all to Laurie since she had the memories of the time together. Without the initial plan, she just added a couple more simple blocks to make 20, and put them all together as a straight sampler. So now this quilt hangs in her home. She and her dh are very pleased and really they should be - she did very well, and it honors her dmil.

ClassQuiltByLaurieSmall.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:42 pm

I neglected to come back in and say that I did finally finish sewing that 'quilt'. It turned out really nice, I think. Pretty plain, the top side is pastels on white with a greenish blue border at the top and sides and a nice border of white at the bottom.

I was having lots of problem with the stitches and discovered the tension in the bobbin case needed adjusting. Once I did that the stitches quit trying to gather the material.

I can't remember when I finished it, but I've been using it. Just the right weight and very soft. It sorta 'sticks' to the sheet so when I get up I just pull it up again and smooth it out and the bed is made!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:18 am

I seamed up some market bags from old tee shirts for decluttering. Also made a tote with pretty tassel ties for a draw string. Got the sewing room put back together yea! I am going to leave it set up put a quilt on thr folding table and call it the quilt room. My friend at spinning group suggested that.

Also those feed sack totes I made last fall are coming in SO handy for our decluttering adventures this spring / summer. They were worth my time.

I made a dish cloth last week.

Great inspiration here thanks for sharing.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:59 am

Did a bit of knitting today. Also worked a bit more on putting the sewing zone back in order. Yea for progress! Also got more progress in the creativity room aka craft room. Getting to just another corner of sketch clip board things, and dusted behind the dresser. I will let go of the largest sketch board as I have two of them. And I am deciding on the stiffening iron on stabilizer pellon I got fkr a project and did mot use it when I was sewing up all of those lined draw string bags. My friend that took the quilting stuff maybe able to use it.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:26 am

Did a quick pupa in the crafting sewing rooms.
Got some finer point sharpie pens in rainbow of colors I am excited to use tnem.

Did some knitting, ahd colIred with my narkers. Today nada.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:44 pm

I just think it's wonderful when someone in a position to encourage will step out on a limb and offer support.

dd19 called so happy. Her upper boss, 2 above, has asked the 5 employees at the gallery to stage a showing of their own work in July. Boss said it is something she has long thought about doing, since gallery workers are often very talented themselves but of course spend their days talking about everyone else's talent and directing visitors to popular showings. And right now she's noticed they have a very diverse group of art styles among the co-workers in different focuses. The woman dd has carpooled with, for instance, is does printmaking.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:27 pm

I haven't been able to do much sewing this month but I have been spending some time reorganizing and purging sewing supplies, patterns, and fabrics. The more stuff I clear out, the more space I have to play with projects.

The animal shelter cat volunteer I have helped in the past asked if I could get a group together to sew some more cat mats. I had to say not until late September or October. I told her that if she had someone else who could cut the fabric, I could do the sewing sooner -- but finding the combination of a large horizontal surface and a block of time lasting several hours to cut the fleece is very difficult for me. (Many, many yards of fleece that need to be cut into small rectangles to sew the cat mats.) Unfortunately, she doesn't know anyone else who can do the cutting. :( I said in that case, I'll have to wait and see what's going on in the fall because I can't even think about adding such a big project this summer.

I have 1 library Tshirt still to alter.
And I just remembered a pair of summer pajama pants that need to be finished. Where did I put that project bag?

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:29 pm

Harriet, what a wonderful opportunity for DD19. Very exciting!

Return to “The Creative Home”