Art, Craft and Needlework, July 2018

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, July 2018

Postby Harriet » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:05 am

We had such inspiring reports of creativity in June! Check them out! :)

What inspires you? Do you find inspiration in a challenge, when the pieces are a complicated fit, or the artistic subject is new to you? Does noticing beauty send you flying to your drawing pad, canvas, camera? Do your own moods and feelings inspire you - maybe to find comfort in creating something warm, or maybe to find an outlet in creating something surprising? Maybe there's inspiration in wildlife, worldview or a child in your life? Or when you find new supplies, can you barely stand the inspiration they bring?

Do tell!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, July 2018

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:45 pm

I knit a dish cloth and painted a rock this week. Reworking a hat I am crocheting on.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:55 pm

I am working on a couple prints we got from DMil's room which we cleaned out when she went into Hospice. I think they are lithographs and I looked them up online once and found they are worth about $100 apiece. They are about 9" x 12" and one is a Paris sidewalk cafe scene and the other is a sidewalk outside book and painting sale with Notre Dame in the background. I will look for the link to these and put that in here if I can still find it.

DMiL had them in very cheap plain frames she had painted with gold paint and they were glued inside with a plain mat. But the mats were discolored. I have tried to remove the mats but they are glued tight. So I got the one off and have been scraping glue off the board underneath. I figure nice new mats and nice frames will make them look beautiful again.

I just love them. They are somewhat faded and muted. The pictures I see in the internet are a little more vibrant. First I had thought to put them above the bed in the pink guest bedroom, but if I put them in big enough frames they might look nice on my bare dining room wall where they could be looked at closer.

I have one almost scraped clean of the glue and the other one to start. It's very time consuming. But I just love them and apparently DMiL did too.

Ok I found one of them online. Chris Lebeau. https://www.ebay.com/itm/162631169873?rmvSB=true
4 pictures on here hover over the top left one that is my notre dame one. I like the paris cafe better but couldn't find that one. Apparently not worth as much as I'd seen last time I looked, but I don't care I'd never sell them.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:07 pm

Ok I did go to look for frames and mats. None of the mats fit and I should have looked online first...but began asking the nice lady at the custom framing counter about it. She seemed to like the lithographs as much as I do. They reminded her of the Madelaine books, though I looked at the one book I have and the pictures there are more cartoonish. Just the locations are similar.

Anyway, I told the lady NOT EXPENSIVE PLEASE and she complied. I picked a cream colored mat, which is used a lot in the background and light grey (not too light) frame a bit deep in size. There is a lot of grey in both pictures. The cream mat has a thin white line at the inside bevel. I put them both up against something that is the color of my walls and it looked fine.

Takes a couple weeks to get done, so I'm excited, can't wait! Crossing my fingers...

Ok I'm attempting to scan and attach the black and white picture I got from the frame company. I have no idea what I'm doing but here goes...too bad they weren't in color and image is a bit fuzzy.. Oh fooey the file is too big. Have no idea how to make it less, it is a small picture.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:09 pm

Harmony, I could still envision the set without photos. I noticed you posted that you came home with them framed the other day. I hope you enjoy them for many years and that they make you think of her. Could you photograph them now and make it work?

BookSaver, your sleeve concept has been rattling around in my brain. I have settled on "my" own best answer for helping sleeve-extension strips or hem-extension strips match the "outfit". I would make fabric beads of the same fabric the strip is made of, using the method of winding paper beads and then mod-podging. There are several youtube tutorials to make beads out of fabric using paper or other backing/method for stability, so I won't bore you. One crafter found that poly content in the fabric made the mod-podged beads more likely to shine; 100% cotton made them likely to look more rustic like a textile.

I had started out thinking scarf, and then thinking those big beads with scarf threaded through, but didn't believe I would like that unusual, fat-jewelry look. So with this idea, the bead could be whatever size or shape a person liked, or just a few of them could be put with whatever other beads suited the person, mix-and-match.

Great happiness here for dd and co-artists who are in the show. It makes me feel art-sy. :lol:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:40 pm

I had been working out the crochet hat pattern.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:31 pm

Freebie activity of the day. We did the shaving foam/food coloring craft with 3 x 5 index cards. Here's one how-to, but there are many. We find a paper plate is plenty large enough to spray the foam into, and then you can throw it away. We swirled with toothpicks and tossed them, too. A ruler is good for scraping away to "reveal", but if you do use a wooden one, it can take up some of the color. Any hard straight-edge works.

The "reveal" is amazing to the children. (or anybody)

After they dried a bit, we pressed under books to make them flat. Then cut in half for two long rectangles. Then glued each onto a dark scrap of paper I cut a little larger. Then onto a scrap of old greeting card a little larger than that, so they would have an interesting back and be sturdy. Back under books to keep flat until Mommy came.

The one ToddlerC is gluing down is blue drops and green drops of food coloring. The one she's getting to next was done with just green.

If you wanted something lasting, you could laminate. We thought about a ribbon but just didn't have time.

CBookmarkJuly2018.jpg

For most crafts, plenty of color is fine. If you want cards you can write on for the cardfile, you need to be able to see your writing, so a light color, or dilute color first, OR just leave a central area of the foam alone and swirl color around it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:10 am

I love it!
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “The Creative Home”