Art, Craft and Needlework, August 2018

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, August 2018

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:36 pm

Are you having an artsy summer? Hope so - the weather may drive us indoors but creativity is there so we can look forward to it!

My household is blessed this summer, to have art-talk happening a lot. Dd's classmates come through often, because they carpool, or need to borrow each other's supplies, or want company to go to the art store, some advice. As they chat, you can tell that they've learned principles of the Masters - balance, contrast, proportion - and also new facts about cutting-edge artists who create in surprising mediums or with new technology.

Sometimes they quote. There's one artist from whom I hear the most quotes, and about whom I hear the most admiration, hands down. I'm not sure he is on their tests. But they buy his calendars. They wear tee-shirts with his image - wear them until they are worn out. They talk about him as though he is their own instructor, no matter what kind of art they like. Him, they have truly studied.

Here is some of his wisdom. Can you guess?

“Now then, let's come right down in here and put some nice big strong arms on these trees. Tree needs an arm too. It'll hold up the weight of the forest. Little bird has to have a place to set there. There he goes...”

“I guess I’m a little weird. I like to talk to trees and animals. That’s okay though; I have more fun than most people.”

“Look around. Look at what we have. Beauty is everywhere—you only have to look to see it.”

“They say everything looks better with odd numbers of things. But sometimes I put even numbers—just to upset the critics."

“We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.”

Thanks, PBS. You did good.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, August 2018

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:52 pm

New projects ~ knit up dish clothes and hot pads for dgd she will have eventually. Got yarn for those now.

Dil loved the hats I made!
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:04 pm

Bob Ross always made it look like anyone could pick up a palette and tools and go paint a landscape masterpiece. Happy trees and clouds ... 8-)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:24 pm

That's great that she appreciates the hats you can give her, Nancy. Hope she is feeling well.

I agree, BookSaver. He also said,
“I started painting as a hobby when I was little. I didn't know I had any talent. I believe talent is just a pursued interest. Anybody can do what I do.”

HRH did a craft with the children today, making guitar picks out of oddities of colorful plastic recyclables. They had fun picking out "raw materials", lol. The best was a square lid from the kitchen that had a bit more rubber content and bend-ability than some of the stiff pieces. Actually, I had been using it for leftovers for a while :oops: but I believe it originally was an "earth balance" product (olive oil or coconut spread ?). Colorful. Children love holding assortments of the same shape in their hands.

Creative-stuff organizing continues here.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:07 pm

He's the one with the afro hair, right? I always got a kick out of that! :lol:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:44 pm

I painted some art rocks this week.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:12 am

I have 3 knit tops to alter.

First one is for work, a cute colorful illustration of a library book cart with the motto "This is how we roll." As I've done a couple of times in the past, I need to lengthen the sleeves and add width to the body. I had to wait until I found the right color fabric for the inserts. I have the pieces all cut and will try to complete the sewing this week.

2nd is another library logo Tshirt that's been resting in a drawer for awhile because I outgrew it. It's a very pretty but unusual teal color and I've been struggling to locate a coordinating fabric. I hope the print I found will work well enough. If nothing else, it will be ok for doing chores around the house. ;)

3rd is a beautiful floral print top that I found on deep discount clearance at my favorite clothing store. It is a size too large and much too long. I think it's one of the tunics one is supposed to put over tight leggings, but that's not my style. Anyway, because of the larger size the scoop neck needs a filler. I'm going to experiment with cutting several inches off of the length and using that cut-off fabric to make a soft collar of some sort. There might even be enough fabric to add cuffs to the sleeves to make the bell shape that is so popular right now. However it turns out, I only paid ~ $14.60 including tax; I couldn't have found the fabric for that low price so it was definitely worth buying it to play with it.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:46 pm

I would try to alter those tops, too - teal is too pretty a color not to try. And I love the saying. Hope that soft collar idea works.

Here is our quick kid's art project for the day. Tree paintings, using balled-up bubble-wrap as the "stamps" or "brushes". ToddlerC was much more into it than her big brother this time. Drawing the tree limbs was enjoyable for him - in fact, he drew much more complicated ones than her straight lines. But she was the only one thrilled with dipping bubble-wrap into dd's pie plates of diluted acrylics, and very intent on putting "leaves" at the right places to make a tree. Dd had them try balls of aluminum foil, too, which they didn't think was as much fun. That meant more of a pointy, geometric look to each bit of paint and the balls were firmer, so dd thought it gave her more control. If the children pressed too hard to pick up paint onto the bubbles, the result wouldn't have much definition.

dd definitely wants to try the aluminum foil balls on a serious project sometime, she says. As it is, she put her tree up on the fridge. :)

PaintingTreesAug2018.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “The Creative Home”