***Holiday Planning, 2018***

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

***Holiday Planning, 2018***

Postby Harriet » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:36 pm

★˛˚˛*˛°.˛*˛°˛.*★˚˛*˛°.˛*˛°˛*★ Holiday *★* 。*˛.
˛★_██_*.。*../ ♥ \ .˛* .˛。.˛.*.★* Season Is *★ 。*
˛. (´• ̮•)*.°。*/♫.♫\*˛.* ˛_Π_____. ♥ On Its Way ♥ ˛* ˛*
.°( . • . ) ˛°˛/• '♫ ' •\.˛*/______/~\*. ˛*.。˛* ˛.*。
* (...'•'.. )°*˛°╬╬╬╬╬˛°|田田 |門|╬╬╬╬╬*˚ .˛ ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We're going to have to acknowledge the calendar! It is beckoning!

The Holiday Grand Plan is finishing up "Question Week" today and after getting questions about hopes and dreams answered, next week starts in to the Plan in earnest.

The House and Holiday Plan, formerly known as The Houseworks Holiday Plan is finishing up "Planning and Paperwork Week" today and starts with "Calendar and Creativity" in the coming week.

For those who would rather think in terms of a shorter span of only the 6 weeks before Christmas,

The Christmas Countdown will begin "Get Organized Week" October 21.

Please use this forum to let us know either your own plans or the plans linked here that you are using, and the sparkly, cheery progress you are surely making! :)

Don't forget that if you choose to create handmade gifts and/or decor, that right beside this thread, the Arts, Crafts and Needlework thread posters definitely want to hear about your creativity! :idea:

:idea: :idea: To refer to your own previous thoughts, reminders, ideas, we're blessed to still be able to do that through previous Holiday Planning threads. Just scroll down the Creative Home forum topics to find 2017, 2016, etc.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: ***Holiday Planning, 2018***

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:38 am

I am rethinking the holidays this year with a more simplified plan. :idea: Fewer decor items and less is more is my approach now. Getting the realtor ready summer has been making holiday prep a breeze did most of it this summer I just bumped that time line up! :mrgreen:

Pumpkin season is upon us so I will put some and spaghetti squash on the steps. No hens to eat them I might need to think mini ones.not going to be doing holiday baking the family are all on healthy eating programs now, except Dgson on the football team possibly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:08 pm

Nancy, there is so much you have already completed!

The baking is not a priority here, either.

I've spent time today making plans and drawing on graph paper for handmades.

Basically, my priorities are:
1) 2'x3' quilted wall-hanging from scratch
2) fabric bookmarks, some already started

and if time, some ornaments, a few pressed-flower bookmarks and finishing a smaller wall-hanging already started.

Dd had me make a computer file of images I like, so she can brainstorm a Christmas card sketch she hopes to watercolor for me. It may not work out because she's got so much on her plate. If not, it's okay. I was hoping we could do a better job of finding the right printing place/method, now that she has so many knowledgeable people around her at univ., who need to get art printed all the time.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:24 pm

I have 4 puppets done at least two more to make up. Thinking what crafts are the least messy. LOL!
I made up some gift tags, I have a punch for it so much fun!
Considering having people here for holidays if we are still in this house. I got gourds for fall decor and I will pitch Dec. 1.
I have decided one of my disc bound planners can be a holiday prep. / moving prep. Journal.
They have costume fabric for costumes in stores now if someone is sewing them.
I gave away a big bowl for salads but have been putting it in 1 gall. Zip bags.
One freezer meal is going in the freezer as soon as it cools off.

Made up double batch of chicken soup.
Got mini pumpkins and squash for the decor on the for front steps porch.
Will put on the Christmas quilt.
Going to try to go to the gem and roick show this weekend.
Been watching fly lady holiday vids on U tube this year and some yarn projects in mind for winter fun this year.
Cooking ahead some chicken pieces.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:09 pm

Dd wants to have several over for a casual no-big-deal party, and it was going to be the first weekend of November, now pushed forward to the weekend before Halloween (yipes, so soon), because of others' schedules. So now it becomes much more seasonal/holiday in theme, since it will no longer be "after" everyone has finished celebrating.

Time to get her to help me put up the mostly-orange strip quilt made by my great-grandmother-in-law (a quilt which only an October party could love) and while doing so, do a total deep-clean of that area of the LR for the holidays. Then I'll get out more autumn-y items and get them out as decor. I have some orphan quilt blocks that will help. One I'm thinking of is a gold star with blackbird fabric. I have a hanging quilt wall-hanging that serves well as a "frame" for single blocks temporarily pinned on! That'll work!

I already had the leafy garland on the hearth. That was about all I'd done, though, since I was thinking I had time!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:12 pm

loved the decorating on the top d harriet! so talented!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:35 pm

Using completed mini-wallhangings to temporarily hang pinned-on quilt blocks is working great for a season for which I don't usually decorate - halloween. I've certainly used the idea before, but never this much. The green border of one wallhanging works well with that centered, pinned-on block of a gold star with blackbirds, so that it's transformed to look very fall/Halloween. A brown star with it's own matching border fits well pinned over a spring wallhanging and turns it into a fall look. The room looks completely different, especially because of hanging the orange quilt great-grandmother-in-law made. Wish I had orange or seasonal pillows, but I don't need perfection for one night.

I'll change out my own blue floral painting for dd20's grayed funny sketch of a ghost being scared by a stuffed animal.

With crepe paper hung in the dining room and fall leaves on the mantel, the whole front of the house should come close enough to "halloween decorating" that the party has its own "look". Now to decide whether I'll share my autumn-themed paper plates! Hmmm .. ... I think she can buy her own! The real work comes with trying to have a buffet somehow. Definitely have to think on that one.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:36 am

One of the Christmas countdown starts today. Going to do some shopping. Have you done cards , holiday greetings news letter or cooking prep yet. What are you doing? I noticed fly lady had cooking ahead vids up on U tube yesterday.

Tweaking ours ~ Thinking non traditional this year hubbys family thing will be non food centered this yr. I uninvited myself. :mrgreen: I will be writing or crafting. It is early in Nov. Dsons wife is on low sodium so they are not doing tky dinner, either. Changing it up.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:56 pm

Harriet, that is such a clever idea for wall decor that can easily be changed for each season & holiday without making whole new wall hangings.

That goes along with an idea I saw at my sewing group a few months ago for using a neutral pillow with different bands which can be as simple or elaborate as you want. I googled "pillow band" and the first link that came up was from Martha Stewart:
https://www.marthastewart.com/266612/pillow-bands
Martha's version has a pretty front side and then it wraps around the pillow and is fastened with a velcro strip in the back.

My friend's version had the band as a tube that slipped over the pillow, and she decorated both sides of the band so all she had to do was turn it over for a new look. She put Halloween on one side and Thanksgiving on the other. She also showed a red band that had Christmas on one side and Valentine's Day on the other. Hers were printed fabric so they stored flat.

I was thinking that with so many gorgeous specialty yarns in the shops these days, it would be easy to knit or crochet pillow bands in any color combination for inexpensive home dec.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:24 am

hello hello

yesterday I bought name tags for presents because I have to mail out presents soon to florida. dd younger will make sure the package is put in a safe place for Christmas for me.
d brother got tickets for dd younger and d mom to head down.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “The Creative Home”