Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2018

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2018

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:37 pm

I have been sewing, got 2 blue baby blankets 1 side cotten and 1 side flannel, I have also seamed up a moo moo, think I got it wrong side out no worries it is way big I can re do it. Took some time to dig out my thread found more yarn to let go of like three bags of it. :roll:

I knit a few rows as well as some art, and just got back in from the garden.

Took some summer stuff in suitcases back down to the sewing room.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:38 pm

Have you seen https://www.redtedart.com/ with her videos? (Probably yes because I think I found her through someone here.) She does crafts for all ages. Today she has a very cute turkey finger puppet.

She has loads of designs for origami corner bookmarks. I'm not sure how practical they are as actual bookmarks because IMO the finished designs look very thick which could possibly damage the book. That said, they are adorable and they can definitely be as simple or elaborate as the child's age allows. Most of them could also be used as finger puppets.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:59 pm

Got the next dish cloth completed verigated orange and white, started the next one it is sage green.

Did a bit of sewing. Cut out a batch of fabric bags got one seamned up it turned out well. These are to work on for the next few weeks to hold puppets & dish clothes.

On the knit and crochet now show they made knit and crochet mermaids so cute! In fun colors. Might have go give em a try.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:50 pm

Finished a simpler block, a Sister's Choice that is fine except it came out slightly large. I can work with it, though. Dd says it looks much more old-fashioned than the others.

It's the only one I've done with a light blue-gray background. I'm trying to have a variety of background fabrics, just like the other fabrics.

With 7 done, my choices for the remaining 5 are narrowing and I may fret a bit over which to include. I wouldn't want to have wasted the time on the two that I've drafted already, so they are pretty much set. They are a Double Dutch and a Flower Basket that still needs the handle drafted. So that leaves 3 choices I can still make, without tossing any out.

Enjoyed the site, BookSaver.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:40 pm

I am excited I got yarn at a yd sale today in a nice variety of colors super saver size skeins that I like. Thinking I can do more hot pads or puppets, maybe even a prayer shawl. Such great timing knitting meetings start up again this week. I think the break has been good for us. I have been thinking of weaving.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Nancy, when you realize you're feeling excitement about something, you know you've got a real love for it and need to make the time! That's great you found a bargain. Happy knitting (also weaving if you can).

The next day (Saturday) after finishing the Sister's Choice, I finished the Double Dutch. It came out just right. Dd20 agrees with me that so far, the Sister's Choice looks like the one I won't use, or maybe use for the label on the back. Two things I just can't get past - it's the only one with the gray rather than a beige/taupe/ivory background, and it's the largest and will require the most "fudging". The color issue just points out how attractive all the others are grouped together, if I DON'T try to add in the gray. I had always planned on making 13 and keeping the 12 best anyhow.

I've been enjoying some youtube videos about Quilt As You Go or what I would call Lap Quilting (although I personally would machine most of the quilting). Some "new" ideas are out in books or video now, such as rows or sections of "as you go". But I don't see much that Georgia Bonesteel hadn't already written about, around 1990, and had on her PBS shows. (At least not much that will help me)

In the early 90s I made a twin sized baskets quilt according to her ideas in her Lap Quilting Lives book, in which she taught about choosing sections to quilt at a time. I quilted it by machine in 4 triangle-shaped sections. The idea was sound. (To this day, no one has ever noticed or cared that that quilt's floral backing has seams in an "X".)

Anyhow, I'm just trying to think of ways to get some of these UFO projects underway again after I finish this small one. I think it would be good for my happiness level.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Funny quote I heard from Angela Walters of The Midnight Quilter:

I've come to think of baby quilts as the gateway drug for quilting. You say, "I can stop at just one".

I've finished the 8th block, called Drumbeat. This was from a Mary Hickey book back in '91. Chose this one because it looks as though it has a curve but doesn't really. Cream background so it fits with the others. Four more to go.

Have another block partially drafted - can't find the name of this one. I'm quite sure it was introduced to me as Grandmother's Choice, but I can't find it anywhere now, except in a photo of a quilt online, for which no one can find a name. There are two other patterns with that name that are more popular. The different thing about this one is that it has some kite-shaped patches so maybe it's Grandmother's Kites, lol. Anyway, it will be a toughie, so I'll probably wait to work on it, to think it through. Still have to draft the handle for the basket, too.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:03 am

Working on a crochet project a lap robe size. Had to redo a couple of inches, glad for football got it redone yea!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:25 pm

The Grandmother's Kites (smile) block is done. By far the most difficult, I had to use hand piecing to finish it. It has mitered corners and Y-seams, which I was going to ignore and piece straight, but I decided to push myself to see if I could sew them this small. I'm glad dd20 was insistent the quilt was going to need more blues, and got me to promise her I'd use blues in the next block, because this one was next and looks pretty.

Drafted the handle for the basket and took it to the window and traced it onto freezer paper.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:17 am

A few days of sickness slowed me, but another block is drafted - called Diamond, but then there are several that have that name. Trying to choose colors for the last few. This one may be in lavenders and the Flower Basket in golds and a last undecided block in blue. Using baggies to keep everything for each little block together has helped me keep my thoughts together, too, lol! I think the sashing will be a light/medium green, unless there's not enough contrast when I hold it up against all the blocks.

Probably will not do hand sewing on Saturday's trip. No one else is bringing hand work and we'll all be together in the van. I'll just keep up with the conversation, I imagine. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to carry it along, as long as I store it well (and small), just in case anyone else is also doing something while riding.

Return to “The Creative Home”