Art, Craft and Needlework, November 2018

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, November 2018

Postby Harriet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:28 am

November can't help it - it points toward the holidays like a neon sign. Well, a very cozy neon - maybe in autumn colors. :)

For get-togethers there may be decor to create, or possibly mend.

For gift-giving, there may be the warm thoughts of others to put into tangible, wrap-able form.

Those of us keeping up with Holiday Grand Plan's emphasis on homemade creativity continue to press toward the HGP ideal, "Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts". In fact now, in Family Room Week, the specific week instructions tell us in no uncertain terms, "Keep Working on those gifts!"

In October,
Nancy's knitting meetings began again, and she found yarn skeins on sale, started a lap-robe-size project
BookSaver made hats on her XL round loom and tried out Market Bags as a gift idea. Cat mats cut out = 228
Harriet pieced the 4th through 9th quilt blocks for a 12-block sampler quilt, and drafted the 10th & 11th
Twins' Mom took a weaving class and wove a challah cover (to cover the bread while other blessings are said)
Elizabeth sewed a Queen Elizabeth costume that won her a second place prize

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, November 2018

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:20 am

I did not go to the knitting mtg. Maybe only one a month.
Writing is good so far.
I finished one dish cloth.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:10 pm

Harriet wrote:Elizabeth sewed a Queen Elizabeth costume that won her a second place prize

In the interest of full disclosure, I did not sew the Queen Elizabeth costume. I assembled it from various sources: thrift shop suit with skirt, one of grandmother's pins, handbag with matching shoes, hat, white gloves, opal earrings. I did make the hat by adding tulle and flowers that matched the suit to an existing hat. The key thing was to get the seated look right - tilted, not crossed legs along with the queenly wave.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:04 am

That sounds just like the royal wave, Elizabeth! Glad you had fun. The Queen is always so perfectly "put together" as my dmother would have said. Yes, her hat is super important! I like your taste in costumes - horror costumes never make sense to me.

Is this a November writing project, Nancy? I've been planning some kitchen towels myself for gifts, but will just add a topper to terrycloth ones, for hanging.

Homemade gift shop items sighted:
I saw someone had sent a collection of homemade crocheted dish cloths (thought of Nancy) to the gift shop at the retreat place we attended, for them to sell to make money. Also they'd gotten a homemade collection of simple crocheted scarves in single-crochet, all solid colors. They were about 5 inches wide - some may have been only 4 inches. Looked really pretty on a rack all together. As far as sewn things, there was a display of very simple aprons. Also a couple table runners. And some stocking-type ornaments. They priced the ornaments at only 50 cents each, and I thought to myself they didn't realize how long it took someone to make those. Oh well, just misunderstanding between those who give and those who have to put a price on the gift.

The final block is almost drafted, although I could still change my mind if it drives me too crazy. Morning Star. It took a committee of work around here to get this far - this is the second time that an image from a published source (this time a 1985 book) has not been correctly sized. Previously I had to correct the Diamond one before I could even get started drafting it smaller, since it was actually drawn smaller than the size it said (would have made some poor quilter a 11.5-inch block rather than 12 inches - oops!). This one was not quite square, but shorter in height than in width. HRH was able to scale it some on the computer for me and now it's close enough that I can take it from here. I can see how nudging the final draft lines just a bit will get it right.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:45 pm

Yes I am doing nanorimo this month.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:30 pm

The Thanksgiving craft items I purchased won't work as well now because the children's event had to be postponed to Dec 8. But I still really like the thanks-and-praise theme of Psalm 100:4 ("Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.") That scripture is one of the decorations. So I thought of adding images of children singing/caroling. Dd is sketching individual "children", for little crafters to use as more decorations. Also thinking of giving everyone some bell shapes to glue on, since that reminds of the theme, too. With a red bow for each, it should seem seasonal.

All the interruptions have slowed my quick pace of handmade items that I had going through October, as per the HGP plan. But hopefully I can get back on track soon.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:17 am

I finished up one dish cloth this week. Knitted a few rows to day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:34 pm

I finished another dish cloth. I am painting a wooden stan up rudolf, I have rock painted with base coat and they are drying. I am going to paint rudolph on those as well.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:57 am

Got the handle for the basket block basted last evening, using a freezer paper handle shape to press fabric over. This is a thinner handle than I've sewn in the past but using a little starch on a q tip helped to secure the shape.

Got a little hand sewing package made up for when I'm sitting and waiting in Drs offices, etc.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:34 am

Got my word count for nano.
Made a notepad and dish cloth this weekend.

Return to “The Creative Home”