Art, Craft and Needlework, November 2018

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, November 2018

Postby Harriet » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:40 pm

Had time to invisible-applique the handle and it looks really good. I'm not sure if I could have done such small scale work without the starch but it did keep me from getting all that paper removed when I was finished. Only got some of it out. That's not a big deal. I suppose I could soak it and dry it and pull the rest out if it really bothered me, but who would know. Just tiny parts, lying flat.

Invisible-applique is Ami Simms' term for a ladder stitch between two fabrics, so that the thread doesn't show.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:05 pm

Did more hand sewing today. Put corner squares onto the sparkling jewels variation 5-inch block by applique. It was finished without this, really, but every time I looked at it, I remembered how pretty the block is with the extra step. So some waiting time gave me a cure for this perfectionism, lol.

Problem is, there is no more hand work to do yet in the little quilt, so I either need to work on little gifts tomorrow or decide to read in a marathon session.

Wanted to recommend
The plastic "envelope" that closes with string wrapped around two grommets has been a great carry-along for sewing projects these past few days. I have only needed the 6-inch size for this small work but the larger size will work great for bigger things. The name brand on this one is doc it from Paris business products, New Jersey.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:56 pm

I scrambled to quickly come up with a hand-sewing mini-project for the final day of waiting around on medical things with HRH. There was just no hand work left for the quilt project at all. The small projects I had going - ornaments and bookmarks - didn't have anything to do by hand unless I changed the plans for them.

Decided it would be faster to think up a new ornament. Chose mittens because the shape is simple. I ended up using two-strand embroidery floss in a blanket stitch to hand-applique two mitten shapes onto a 3x4-inch gold colored scrap. They are red, the floss light pink (lol - the only color I could find that worked. I just don't have a lot of supplies that aren't specific to patchwork!).

Return to “The Creative Home”