Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2018

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2018

Postby Harriet » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:29 am

Nancy, it's nice to "hear" you so positive on handmades. It seems you have gotten so you switch effortlessly from crochet to the loom to knitting. I would probably have to reset my brain!

Harmony, you reached a finish. That's a positive thing! I hope it is well-received and I'm sure it will be obvious this was a labor of love you wouldn't do for others! Best wishes for the sewing machine tuneup.

BookSaver, I'll suggest loomahat to dd20 in case she has a chance to go back to yarn arts - she wanted to, if ever there was time. This winter I needed a hat and glanced through the 3 I inherited from my dear aunt. I felt like Goldilocks with the 3 hats. A truly beautiful one someone had made was of a harsh yarn and tightly done - hmmmm. Another was made like a pretty tam or beret but left ears unloved! :) A loosely woven but full one was soft and best and now I remember she loved it.

I had a thing to tell you all especially, but it depends on a photo to make you smile at it, so I will wait. We are temporarily (hopefully just a day or two) without photo posting on the boards.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:33 am

Dfriend M gave me for Hanukkah and birthday a gift certificate for a four hour weaving class at her knitting/weaving store. I don't need another hobby, lol! :lol:
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:57 am

I had not woven in so long I had to give my self positive affirmations before beginning "you can do this." Type of them. It took a bit now I keep telling my self even just a few minutes on a project is still progress!

I have been doing bullet journal stuff for the new year I need to remind myself to include art in it so I will pencil in reminders likke "draw here " with an arrow or but a box to doodle in seems to help.

I fought with the sewing machine and I won finally got the tension right yea! I have 2 sets of curtains to seam on in Jan.

A gal I know wants to see me weave after the 1st. Of the yr.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:01 pm

I believe we can post photos now. Testing, testing. :)

Here is the funny I wanted to show our expert hat makers who have inspired me! ;) Look how many knitted toboggans I made in a very short time! :lol: Perhaps the scotch tape will give you an idea how. They are the fingers of children's size 12-yr gloves, simply cut off straight at the knuckle, edges rolled up, and topped with a hot-glued small pom-pom. A little hot glue inside the "roll" keeps them neat. They worked so well for all the gift tags this year, either just a decoration on tag, or, for some reindeer/elk ornaments I gave, taped onto the antler for fun.

TobaggansSmall.jpg

The rest of the order I made of a pack of 10 pairs of gloves went to the grands for warm hands.

It's not much! But it's the extent of my handmades effort that got to completion in time for Christmas giving. Even the bookmarks, on which I was so close, had to be set to the side as of learning about all the meds appts since mid Nov. Now I'm thinking there are a couple Jan bdays that will be nice to send the bookmarks - not giving up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:49 pm

Harriet those are darling!

I put pics of 10 puppets I made on fb .

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:30 am

Those teeny hats are super cute! What a clever idea.

I delivered 12 loom-knitted hats to the library's giving tree last Thursday. I'm still working on hat #13 because I decided to do another adult XL size and those take much more time than the child size.

It doesn't help that last night, when I was within 2 rows of finishing, I found a mistake 3 inches back. :shock: :( Sigh. The mistake did not affect the usefulness of the hat nor would it have pulled out or caused a problem with wearing it. Nevertheless, once I saw the misplaced stitch, I couldn't un-see it. It isn't about perfectionism because my knitting stitches certainly are not perfect; I don't have enough knitting practice yet to make nice, even stitches. I just don't want something I've made to go out into the world with such an obvious mistake, even if it's only obvious to me ... even if it's going to be given to a stranger.

So last night before I went to bed I carefully pulled out the 3 inches and got back to the place before the mistake happened. I do like the pattern on this one, and I'll save the instructions to use again. I'll try to finish this hat before I go back to work Thursday so it can be given away with all of the rest of them.

Reading back in the thread, I see I missed a question from Harmony about sizing the hats. Since I'm still new to loom knitting, the only control I have over the finished size is by using different looms and different weights of yarn. I own the XL size round loom, and I borrowed a set of smaller round looms from a friend. The ones I've done with the child size loom all ended up different sizes because I used different patterns for each one, and sometimes I doubled the yarn. (Using 2 strands of yarn as 1 makes the hat thicker and warmer, but also makes it smaller.) I figure some people like their hats loose and slouchy, others close-fitting, so they'll have to try on and see what feels good to them.

After I'm done with this 13th hat, then I will switch over to sewing. I have several works in progress, in various stages of completion.

Incentive = At our last sewing group meeting, we were each given a school composition notebook and asked to use it as a sewing journal starting January 1, 2019. At the end of the year, we will compare journals and celebrate everyone's fun with fabric.

I have decided that I can only write in my sewing journal after I have finished a project.
Since I'm going back to serving as president of the group again, I probably should set a good example and actually do some sewing ... you think? ;)

Return to “The Creative Home”