Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2018

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2018

Postby Harriet » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:05 am

Harmony, I'm so sorry this is causing you such a headache! I completely understand. It would be great if every project went well but so seldom is it straightforward. Re-do of existing items is especially tough, because something has to fit predetermined sizes, etc. So much simpler when we create something pretty on the fly, as long as it never needed measuring! It's hard for someone else to figure out how difficult a sewing project really is.

I couldn't be there, but I believe 10 children were of the age to fully make the craft and their younger siblings just played with the parts, lol. I had enough supplies for 15 prepared. We were preparing for 17 children total. We're a small church. Half these children aren't actually from families in membership, but come often enough to be included, or are grandchildren of members.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Harriet, aren't you glad that craft is behind you now? I'm glad you had enough.

So I finally talked to DD about this. She was very nice about it though a bit not understanding the difficulty. Told me not to stress about it. I gave her the whole saga and my time line of trying to do it. I had a pretty good solution, to cover the seats and staple up underneath which would encase the material that is shredding for no good reason... and then put something removable and pretty on the foam cushions with a tie. Make the seat covering material the same black and with the cushion on top it wouldn't even be noticed.

Her solution: go to the store and buy an existing slipcover and see if it can be modified and use for a pattern. :o I tried to tell her I didn't think I could even sew this. It's hard when someone has their heart set on something. I don't think she liked my last idea. That's sure what I would do if I was set on saving the chairs.

By the way, if anybody is interested in this point of this long boring monologue...look up Z-chair. That's what they are. Mid-Century Modern. We found them online, DH trying to help figure out how to put a whole new upholstery on them. Noooooooo that would be an even worse project!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:08 pm

I have half of the 2nd dish cloth made up. Yea for progress.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:05 am

Harmony, I'm glad you and dd talked about it, even though you still may not be on exactly the same page. Sewing should be fun, hmmmm?

The cards were a joint effort for dd and me, and turned out beautifully. I think dd was a little frustrated that I knew almost as much as she did about preparing for the printer. lol. (upside down art for front of card, everything else right-side-up....NOT vice-versa, lol). I've just worked in word-processing and communicated with printers for a long time ;) , even though I don't know the graphic arts terminology that she does. She was happy with the greeting and verse I chose.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:14 am

I have the 2nd puppet this week nearly done.
Loom is warped and header is on it.
I will weave with the actual weft later, I am just fine with it being warped up. Yea me!

Blue project is woven yea!
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Got one more color for the next prayer shawl. They were out of the other color I was going to get. I have a crochet one going and a knit one also. Started that project today. Dgd will be here for crafting after school.dropped off donations for the thrift shop workers that I decided not to mail today. 1 puppet, & some dish clothes. Getting closer to the end of this batch of puppets.

Next weaving will be red and white.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:43 pm

I am on hat #11 for the library's hat & mitten tree. My goal is to take 12 hats when I go back to work on Thursday. I initially was only going to do 3 adult size because that's how many I could make with the gray yarn I bought, but then someone gave me a bag of yarn (pink and green) so I switched to a smaller looms and kept knitting. Baby and kid sizes don't take nearly as much time as the adult ones.

For the 3 hats XL size for men I just used a basic knit stitch to keep them simple and quick. I did 3 pink XS for babies, also simple and quick. The rest are using the loom size for children, and I've been trying different patterns that I've watched on youtube.

I've learned a lot from a channel called Loomahat. She gives very clear instructions, shows everything up close, and has a nice soothing voice.

I do need to finish the final steps on most of the hats. I waited to see if I would have time to make pompoms. I've decided they look ok without pompoms, so now I can go back and weave in loose yarn ends and such.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:30 pm

I am doing great with crafts some more mending today. Got my pants hemmed.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:42 pm

I discovered that I already have 12 knitted hats in my project bag, and I did the final steps on all of them so they are ready to deliver.

I still have some of the donated yarn, and another pattern that I want to try. I think I can make at least 1 more hat before Thursday.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:17 am

I got my project done and it's all packed up to go. I made a chair cover (6 of them) that fitted over the back like a pillow case and across the seat and I sewed another piece to that to make it go over the front a few inches. I took darts at the front corner to make them semi-fitted.

Then I took the 2" foam and made slipcovers for those and I sewed a ribbon across the back to be tied around the back of the chair. I didn't use the expensive material (dry-clean only :roll: ) she picked, but I got the closest in nice cotton for the cover and a lighter coordinating material for the cushions which will go on top.

Have no idea if this will be acceptable or not. But it is done the best I could do. I'll never get that time back and it was difficult getting everything done while doing this.

My sewing machine is clacking a bit so when I get time I need to clean and oil it and see if that helps. It's a 50-year-old kenmore with the disks for different stitches I can put into the top. It's certainly got a lot of use in its day!

Harriet, I would really like to see that blueprint of the 1st sewing machine!

Return to “The Creative Home”