Art, Craft and Needlework, January 2019

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harmony

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, January 2019

Postby Harmony » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:38 pm

Booksaver, the other thing you can do with Christmas cards is make gift tags. They won't have the to: from: words on but I cut out a piece of something with a pretty image on it that leaves room to put my names on. I have so many pretty ones in a box to use every year. I try to match them in color or theme to the wrapping paper, or just something the recipient would have a liking for.

I do have a couple bookmarks I've made from the cards too. I need to make some more of them. I always use my bookmarks because I NEVER dogear the corner of a page to mark. Hate when I take out a book that has corners dogeared. IMO that damages the book. I always try to straighten those corners out, but it always leaves a mark or damage.

Never thought of leaving bookmarks at the library for people to take. I wonder if they'd allow that? I have brought books home, though, that had bookmarks inside. Always thought somebody just forgot to take theirs out.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:41 pm

Finally I'm back to some creativity and the sewing machine.

Here's the fabric bookmark I made for dd38-nearly39, and was able to mail to her today. It's one that I was so close to finishing, back before Christmas, but had to give up (along with other Christmas plans). It's a Jules Verne theme, with fabrics that reminded me of his deep-below-earth's-surface novels, and the little charm is a hot air balloon that reminded me of Around the World in 80 Days. The backing is dense foliage that I thought might go along with those books, too.

I included a riddle for the children, to try to figure out which author's books I was thinking of. I figure the Verne books will be at the right reading level for at least one of the boys, maybe two, so maybe that will be fun for them.

BookmarkJulesVerne2018.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:15 pm

Lovely work Harriet.

I completed another green dish cloth.i completed another few rows on the blanket I am crocheting on.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:06 am

Got a sad email (sad to me) that the closest quilt shop to me, a few towns away, is closing. The owner wants to retire and seems happy about it. I have so seldom gone over there in recent years anyway, but that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed. Strangely, they say in the email that the longarm machine quilter they recommend nearby is not retiring, and give her phone number. Well, I didn't know they recommended one and had never heard this at all. Maybe I will be able to use her services in the future, at least.

A happy phone call from my 4 grandboys today, all shouting "Jules Verne!" at the same time. Sweet boys. Their mother tells me that the riddle was just tough enough to have the family wondering for a while, but not too hard for the boys to puzzle out. I'm so glad. DangerBoy tells me he has already read one of the Verne books, Journey to the Center of the Earth - I figured he had. Dd38 seems genuinely happy with the gift and says that at the same time dsonil brought in my package, he brought home a library book she'd had on order, so she's already put it to use. I teased her about probably having no bookmarks, lol. (this is at least the third I've made her, and getting to be a habit. But she is the most avid reader I know.)

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:05 am

Beautiful bookmark, Harriet. You're really good at getting those points exactly right.

catnipper

Postby catnipper » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:18 am

I have found I get sidetracked when working on a website project -- my creativity is website design. I am going to try using the alarm on my phone to remind me to move on to another project. Will keep you informed on how it works.

Right now my other creative projects are re-organizing my house since my husband died last year, planning for my daughter's wedding and trying to set up a new daily routine and weekly plan for a household of one.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:56 pm

I love that bookmark, Harriet!

Catnipper, if I sit down at the computer, I just get sucked in and it's like time ceases to exist. And I do have some ongoing projects that require computer time... so I can relate to what you said. Using a timer is a good idea!
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:01 pm

I am working an another round green dish cloth it is nearly done.
Also on a crochet lap robe size piece is coming along the temp. Guage color themed project.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:24 am

I am thinking on how to make or get a small tote or bucket the dog can carry for fetch training. Got some ideas on vids.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:43 pm

I have done a few rows of knitting and crocheting today & Mon.

Found out why no knitting meetings have happened anothergal had shoulder surgery, and the one gal fell off a ladder had knee surgery, they were hots. So no mtg.

Return to “The Creative Home”