Art, Craft and Needlework, March 2019

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, March 2019

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:11 pm

I have been making paper mache pots to learn how to work with it getting some containers for planting in.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:39 pm

Trying to get ready for my sewing camp and I needed to come back to look at my project list for reminders.

Pieces for top #1 and the origami market bag are prepped and ready. Have not found top #2 yet but haven't really spent much time looking for it.

I did find the pajama pants but now I can't find the elastic for the waist. :roll: I refuse to go buy more elastic. I know it will show up when I'm looking for something else.

Next task is to choose which fabric(s) to make the reading pillow. It is for a 16" square pillow form. The top is 16" square with a big 10x16" pocket to hold a book. The back of the pillow is overlapped, although I could easily put in a zipper instead of using the extra fabric to overlap. This first one I'm doing is just to try the pattern, so I'll keep it simple. If I like it, future ones can be decorated in all kinds of ways with embroidery on the pocket or piping or ruffles.

Harriet ~ The star pillow starts with 15 squares, sewn together in a way to end up as a 3D star, and I'm having trouble reading my notes because I was trying to write while watching the screen. The teacher was demonstrating a mini version using 2.5 inch squares to make a pin cushion. She mentioned that a full size pillow would use 7 to 8 inch squares, and she has done a dog bed from 12 inch squares. Since I'm not sure I wrote down all the instructions in the right order, I'm just going to grab some scraps and play to try to get the shape right.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:43 pm

Oh, Nancy, what fun! I remember my dmother doing that at the kitchen table and enjoying so much getting messy. She would make things for her first grade classroom. Her sister would help sometimes and they'd get more than one project done at the same time - she taught 6th. White pasty mess all over the table, long strips of newspaper, two giggling women! :) :) They worked at my mother's home because she had the "modern" linoleum floor that could take spills! I hope you have a good time with it.

I could easily put in a zipper instead of using the extra fabric to overlap.

You are a very confident sewer, BookSaver. I would be all about overlapping that back! lol! Or using my fav trick of re-purposing a button-up shirt front for a pillow back. I know I could manage the zipper, but it's been a while and I'd feel like I was reinventing the wheel. Should practice that skill again.

Do ya'll remember when invisible zippers became the "new" thing? I was so intimidated but I learned it and was proud. More recently, it's the fashion to have oversized bulky metal zippers showing down the backs of dresses, very stiff, not draping with the fabric at all. How strange to highlight as a fashion feature. Makes me think of button-fly jeans.

Oops, don't know anything about 3-dimensional patterns like that, but it sounds like you have a pretty puzzle.

My fabric choices are made and I have 3 "large sandwich" baggies of the cloth for 3 blocks, each with smaller snack baggies inside, holding the printed vellum units in those.

And most important - all other fabric is put away except sashing and backing for this project only. Room looks neat and my brain is calmer!

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:22 pm

re-purposing a button-up shirt front for a pillow back

Ooo what a genius idea! Much, much easier than a zipper.

I found coordinating prints to have enough for an overlapped back, though, so I'm going to go with that for my first test. Of course, the most important part is that the pocket is big enough to store a book. ;) I found a print with funny sayings on it that will be perfect.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:09 pm

One of the big pots Fell apart to day. Oh well I had a blast making it.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:30 am

Just the placket can be pieced into a patchwork grouping/panel, too, to one side or even middle if it looks good like that. I someday want to try one on the diagonal for a fun look. Have some saved that have embroidered placket, and have even shopped at Goodwill for unusual placket/buttons or especially colorful or stronger fabric.

Lol, Nancy you are still way ahead of me to know how! Glad you had a blast.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:40 am

I'm already running out of some of SU's newer cardstock colors that I love. Sigh. Will need to order more....

Today is the "sketch challenge" where a layout sketch is provided and one makes a card suggested by that layout. Doesn't have to be exact of course. Yesterday I didn't finish my card for the color challenge - was a shade of mid deep blue, a "flamingo" pink and lemon/lime green. Not easy colors for me...
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:53 am

I have been sketching my gardening progress.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:45 pm

Report on projects planned for sewing camp:
Pajama pants: left at home, still haven't found the necessary elastic
Top #2 and pieced 3D star pillow: left at home due to lack of time to locate acceptable fabrics
Cat mats: left at home and sewed 1 each night before bed

Knit top #1: didn't touch due to lack of space (we were rather crowded together at the tables and I didn't want to risk sewing mistakes on expensive garment fabric)

Substitutes:

Purse size tissue holder = FINISHED! Easy, only took 5 small scraps of cotton print fabric. Replacement for the worn out one I've used every day for a few years.

Unlined jacket bought for $3 at a thrift store, sleeves too tight = figured out how to do the alterations, cut the pieces, pinned the insert into 1 sleeve ready to sew

Back to the original list:

Origami shopping bag = FINISHED! The sewing itself was quick and easy straight lines. Floral print outside, striped lining. Before making another, I want to change the finished proportions which involves recalculating the size of the original rectangle.

Reading pillow = FINISHED! Quick and easy.

I'm very happy with what I accomplished. I spent more time in the kitchen than I thought I would have to do, but it was ok because I enjoy cooking, too.

What helped me the most was having the opportunity beforehand to carefully choose projects for which all the supplies would fit together in 1 square laundry basket (including my tool kit) plus 1 small bag with my rulers and another small bag for the instruction sheets. I knew exactly what I had with me in limited space, so I didn't have to waste any time looking through multiple containers.

All over the room, everyone else was digging through their stuff and complaining about what they had forgotten at home or couldn't find in their bins. I didn't have what they needed so kept humming along doing my own thing. I don't know if I'll ever be able to be so organized again, but it was such a no-stress way to work this time. 8-)

We'll have another sewing camp in July. In the meantime, I am motivated to continue sewing at home.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:13 pm

That's a great report on finishes, smart waiting, and fun, BookSaver. Happy for you.

Challenges are a lot of fun, Twins'. I seldom participate in any because other projects would come first and my life is full of UFOs , but they can be so imaginative.

Return to “The Creative Home”