Art, Craft and Needlework, March 2019

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
BookSaver
Administrator

Art, Craft and Needlework, March 2019

Postby BookSaver » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:10 pm

In February:
Twins'Mom revived her stamping hobby and bought some new supplies.
Nancy bought a new sewing machine and made pajamas.
Harriet thought about a quilt project (yes, that counts as creativity!)
BookSaver knitted baby hats and did a little mending that was so boring that she didn't even post about it for sewing credit.

How much fun will we have in March?

BookSaver
Administrator

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, March 2019

Postby BookSaver » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:21 pm

I'm always so admiring of Nancy for the way she makes art and creativity a priority every day.

I saw a video last night about doing a 30 day challenge and thought, hey this is perfect timing. I've been wanting to jump start my sewing projects again. It's been months since I've used my machine for anything fun. What can I set as a realistic challenge, a goal that I have a hope of achieving and maybe even continuing after the 30 days of the initial game?

Here it is: For the month of March, I will sew at least one (1) seam every day.

Please note that I didn't say 1 project, or even a minimum number of minutes. One seam.
Even if all I have time to do is 1 side of a little cat mat. One seam.

I know that one seam per day doesn't sound as if it will get me anywhere -- but it's a lot more than I've been doing since I went to sewing day camp last September.

One seam every day, starting today!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:36 pm

Thanks booksaver for saying that!

I did not sew yesterday [Fri.] took the day off. It was my cooking day. Today [Sat.] I did up three round drawstring bags. I am underwhelmed with the results of these. I did a new stitch for accent on the sewing machine cover. Got the next color of thread on the machine for curtians my next 2 projects. I am thankful for these in this cold weather outside. I need to press some seams to get ready for the next sewing projects.

Ack, sewing zone was a disaster so I took ten min. [apx.] To sort scraps & do a pupa it feels better in there now. I am amazed at what a diff. It made. I am amazed at the prep. Time it takes before and after cleaning, deciding on a project, putting away items not used fabrics that did not co-cordinate for example, prewashing tbe fabric pressing, cutting out before actual sewing ever begins.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:18 pm

BookSaver, thanks so much for inspiration. Yesterday after reading here I did a 27-decision round in my sewing and crafts. Mostly little things, but I began a pocket folder for all my drafted patterns for the 5-inch-block quilt, so that is a big organization help. Shall I pretend I wouldn't find another 27 to do? (smile) Sure I could! I'm going to work in the area some more this evening.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:12 pm

I made pillow cases from the ripped sheet today. Got them sewn inside out the first time so had to rip them out and redo them. :lol:
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:01 am

Completed Day 3 of my personal challenge. Success! :)

Day 1 was easy, I sewed a seam on a Tshirt.
Day 2 was hard and I struggled the whole day to get to the machine. The more hours went by, the greater the temptation to skip that day with a promise to catch up the next day. That didn't feel right, though, so finally just before I went to bed I turned on the machine and sewed my 1 seam.

Day 3 (today) I sewed 1 seam, then I was motivated to sew another, and another. I needed to set up the ironing board and press the seams before I could go further ... so I did it! By that time, it was easy to keep going until I finished the Tshirt.

This Tshirt has a library theme illustration on the front. It was a gift that the tag said was the right size but it felt too tight for me to be comfortable working in it, and it couldn't be returned for exchange. I've had a lot of practice by now at splitting Tshirts apart and inserting fabric. It's been sitting in pieces for over 6 months. Assuming that it looks ok when I try it on tomorrow, I'll be glad to have a new shirt to wear to work. It doesn't have to look perfect tomorrow because I'll put a warm cardigan over it anyway. We have several months to go before it will be warm enough to wear a Tshirt without a sweater.

Not sure what seam I will sew tomorrow because it will depend how exhausted I am after work.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:47 am

I got one of those cushion covers made. The hard part was doing the button holes. I forgot how to do them. Got the button 'holer' contraption out of the box and figured out the size and screwed it to the machine. Tried and tried to get one made on a scrap piece of fabric. Finally remembered the plate needed to be changed also to the one with the little round gear. So that was a challenge because I couldn't get that to fit and I finally gave that a tap with my fist and it engaged.

Then the material wouldn't cut a slit with my stitch ripper which is how I always made the slit in the button hole and had to go hunt up a razor blade. Sheesh what a lot of work for 3 buttonholes. I've been thinking about how long it's been since I've sewed any buttonholes. I can't remember doing any since I made a cushion cover for myself years and years ago.

My machine is very old, and I am older and have forgotten a lot of stuff I guess. Hopefully I will make the other one tomorrow and sew the buttons on both of them. That will be one thing off my mind.

Good going, booksaver. I have to be in the mood to sew and my happiest time is when I've finished something and I get to put everything away and cover the sewing machine cabinet with its cover! I doubt I'd ever do one seam a day. I suspect I've been fooling myself all these years... I'm not really a creative person. :lol:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:30 pm

Way to go every one with your projects and making progress!
I finished up one set of curtians last night yea!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:10 pm

2nd cushion cover done. So soft and furry, this plush fleece. But not as easy to sew under the presser foot as I'd imagined. And buttonholes a bit problematic too. I hand sewed a couple of them, reinforcing the edges, right over the machine stitches and they looked better. I hope they fit her throw pillows.

Nancy, I was going to suggest you could sew a border on the curtains to make them longer.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:00 pm

I have kitchen curtian curtians to consider, I want to get these the proper size so I am thinking it through before barging ahead. I have fabric that will work.

Return to “The Creative Home”