Art, Craft and Needlework, July 2019

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, July 2019

Postby Harriet » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:08 am

In June, we found that

creativity is like parfaits (& ogres) ;) it has LAYERS to find!

Twins' Mom found a new layer of meaning and caring in her greeting card creations.
Harmony found herself thinking of quilt layers again as a dgd dreams of an ocean quilt.
Nancy found that layering a coat of white over vivid paint gave the look she wanted.
BookSaver found more (& more?) layers to sewing the hem of a lovely wedding dress.
Harriet found variety in blossoms for layering more blue shades in pressed-flower art.

Here's the July place to chat about using our creativity.

What's NEW with you?

Are you learning something that challenges your thinking?

What new tool, method, supplies, machine or material have you learned to work with lately?

Or have you gotten back to one you'd almost forgotten how to use?

Is there something you're scratching your head thinking about in July? Do tell! :D

BookSaver
Administrator

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, July 2019

Postby BookSaver » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:34 pm

Thanks for the fun theme this month, Harriet.

I've been sorting through layers of fabrics and other sewing supplies during the past few weeks. So far I have not found the 2 specific pieces of fabric for which I was searching. I did, however, find several Works In Progress. They are now gathered together in the same basket near my sewing machine, to make it easier for them to complain to each other about how long it takes me to finish anything. ;)

I'm still trying to fix alterations on a knit top. This is the one that the neckline was too low and the body was way too long, so I cut it shorter and used the extra fabric to make a collar. I had to fiddle with the collar quite a bit but I think it's ok now. The bottom hem curled up horribly after I laundered the top, so I tried an experiment with some hem tape. Bad move. It was too stiff and made the hem stick out. I took that off and next I'm going to try a scrap of softer fabric for a hem facing. (Good thing I still like the fabric of this shirt because it's costing me a lot of time in alterations!)

I have the fabrics needed for a new tote bag with lots of pockets. Need to measure & cut the pieces according to the pattern directions.

July 25-27 will be summer sewing camp. The tote bag will be my main project to play with at camp.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:43 am

I have several failed projects on the antiquing wax pieces as I learn to finese this is quite a learning curve.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:31 pm

We are working on the big jigsaw puzzle picture finally. It's all together and coated and we glued it to a stiff cardboard backing. We got smooth pine boards to make the frame. We've cut the 4 sticks to approximate lengths and milled the groove in the back to fit the puzzle. Yesterday I got custom paint in a pale green that goes with the picture (it's a flower shop) and today I got the 4 pieces of pine which I'd sanded smooth painted. Just did the 2nd coat.

It's a really pretty color (I think) and I plan to use the rest of it painting an interior door here. My family room which is predominately beiges will finally have lots of color in it.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:59 pm

Finally succes in painting to get the desired effect more water sprayed on was needed yippie! Kon Marie-ing the shed now, ugh not so fun, work space needed to put back door in shed next. Also reclaimed lumber from neighbors scrap pile for future projects kept me busy lately, before we add flooring & paint shed interior possibly for furniture painting work space.

Mid July got some sunflower print fabric getting reqdy for time to sew.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:07 am

I just realized that I should have posted my sewing group info here last night instead of in PWYC. Oh well, I'm just going to copy it over so I'll be able to find it later.

For the educational part of the meeting, we played with 3 dye techniques. My focus was mostly on the procedure that used ice cubes. I took an old white cloth purse that I was going to throw away because over time it looked dingy no matter how many times I soaked and washed it. I am hopeful that the dye will revive the purse so I can use it again.

The procedure is to first soak the fabric at least 15 minutes in a mixture of water & soda ash (washing soda) to make the dye colors stay in the fabric. Put it on a rack on top of a plastic bin (to catch the runoff) and pile ice cubes on top. Sprinkle powder dye(s) wherever color is desired. Let it set for 24 hours so that the ice will melt and combine with the color(s) to form random patterns. Then I was told that after the 24 hours, it needs to be rinsed until the water runs clear, and then left out to dry. I need to do some research on the internet to make sure that is correct. I don't think it will help to ask the person who was teaching the class, as she was just going from instructions she found on the internet.

So far my purse looks like it will be pretty. I scrunched it up a bit on the rack. I used 3 different colors, starting at 1 side with fuschia, then purple through the middle, then a medium blue. The recommendation was to bring a plastic dish pan with a wire rack on top, but I took a large plastic bin and a dish rack that fit all the way inside -- I did not want to risk dye splashing out on my drive home. As soon as I got home, I put the bin in the back yard and lifted the rack up to set it across the top. It was at that point that my latex glove developed a hole and as a result, I now have a purple ring finger. :lol: (If I had left the rack down inside the bin, the purse would have been sitting in the colored water and would have ended up all 1 color instead of the 3 separate ones.)

I went out and checked it an hour ago. The ice had finally all melted. I drained out the colored water, put the rack back inside the bin, and brought it into the kitchen to set overnight. I was afraid that if I left it outside overnight, I would end up with bugs and bird poop or worse, a possum might come along and turn the bin over and destroy my purse looking for food.

PS: The other 2 techniques were "reverse dyeing" using various forms of bleach, and "rust dyeing" where the fabric is put in a plastic bag with water and some rusty items. I may play more with the bleach some day because one suggestion was to use either a Tide bleach pen or to put something like a gel cleaner with bleach into a little bottle with a pointed tip so it can be used to draw designs onto the fabric. The rust one doesn't appeal to me because I don't do much with browns - although I guess some day I might want to do a table runner for autumn.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:19 am

Bookie, there are all kinds of "stamping" creative techniques using dyes and alcohol dyes and pigment crystals and what else. I haven't tried any of those, I just plug along with my very traditional classic cards. My style is simple and not fussy, I'm afraid. Your white purse sounds like a perfect way to experiment!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:52 am

I'm going to try to add a picture of my dyed purse - but please forgive quality of the photo as I only have my camera phone and I couldn't get the flash to work so the only light was a lamp.
ice dye 300x300.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:11 am

BookSaver, the colors came out so well. I love the blue, of course, since I'm a blue kind of gal. But all of the color is clear and pretty. I think the danger was going to be muddied colors, and you avoided that completely. Looks like fun.

I would not have enjoyed rust dye projects as much, I don't think. (lol, not the time to ask Harmony about that, is it?)

Harmony, how is the frame coming along? I think it's smart to paint that frame to match a door in the room. I hope the puzzle picture gives you lots of good memories. It should be a conversation piece.

Nancy, have fun with the sunflower fabric. Hey, maybe work with some of that in January! It could lift winter doldrums!

Plain, white, not-embossed paper napkins are becoming my favorite for placing blossoms inside for pressing. Cheap restaurant ones work well without leaving a pattern of embossed design on a petal. Paper towels or purchased napkins will leave an imprint, plus won't pull away from the petals as well when pressing is finished.

i discovered another blue flower to press on a walk, but very fragile small wild one so it may not work well. Dayflower seems to be the name, according to the net. I know I could just scout grocery stores for blue blooms and buy them, but nothing means as much as ones I grow or find for myself.

Have been so interested in the passionflower flowering, and pressing the circle-of-petals part of the blooms (3 so far, each about 3 1/2 inches across, and dd39 has called "dibs" on at least one already) that I did not notice it is fruiting, too. Bumblebees have discovered it and are so rough that they now ruin the pretty, one-a-day blooms before I can get there. But if I pick too early, that will also ruin blossoms for pressing (dew must dry first). So I have a puzzle. Wondering if a basket over a bloom in early morning would let it dry but keep big bees out. Ooooo... ... a colander? I need a miniature scarecrow. :lol:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:54 pm

I painted some terra cottra pots in touq. Had extra of that color some of them were painted in colors I was not a fan of.
I got those painted. Glued some tiered projects and painted some frames.

Return to “The Creative Home”